TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trailer or drive my SS home?

poohtang

To avoid the 25 mile stops for gear breakin plus the desire to bring all the old parts home at pickup leads me to trailer the car home. That said, I have done nothing to prep. Does anyone have info or reco on renting a trailer in Vegas for a one-way to Los Angeles? Enclosed or open? Would it better to get the trailer in LA and take to Vegas for pickup? You get the jist, any comments out there??

Or do you reco just dealing with the 4-5 stops on the gears and waiting for the parts to be shipped method? Anyone have good comments/stories on the parts ship process? The obvious plus to this path would be I get to drive it home.

Thanx

Just do what I did and drive it home. Stop at Baker and have a cool drink for about 30 minutes, and then stop at Barstow to pee out the drink you had at Baker. Take off from Barstow after a 30 minute layover and then stop at Victorville for another 30 minutes or so. After Victorville just take it on home.

Can you just rent a big U-Haul moving van with car ramps? You'd think the car and all the parts would fit inside and be safe.

You would probably need ramps 25 feet long to get it into the truck, these things set really low. The way to go would be to rent the truck for the parts and a car hauler to attach to the truck. But, by the time you do this, you could have it shipped for the same price, however, you might not get your parts.

Its VEGAS!!!

Drive up one weekend and get the car. Do like SGT and take some breaks on the way back. Its worth it because you get to talk to folks about your car all the way home. Then go back in a week or 2 with your truck and get the parts and stay in VEGAS a few days. Im sure you can find something there to do!!! Better yet take a small car and just a few parts at a time and go back EVERY weekend. ITS VEGAS!!!!!!

MM

Just do what I did and drive it home. Stop at Baker and have a cool drink for about 30 minutes, and then stop at Barstow to pee out the drink you had at Baker. Take off from Barstow after a 30 minute layover and then stop at Victorville for another 30 minutes or so. After Victorville just take it on home.

+1

I took my 8 year old son with me to drop mine off we drove down and fly home, he had a blast, and made the trip fun for me as well.

I debated the same thing you are when I got my call to pick her up. It was a head ack tring to fid a trailer.

Bottom line is its much easier to drive it home. The hood is packaged in a very tall and long box. So either take everything out of your truck bed, ( I didnt mesure but I think the box migh not fit in a short bed. Put a latter rack on and bring tie downs or make sure you have plenty of room on your trailer.

A open car trailer is easier to tow then an inclosed one but if you use a open car trailer make sure you put mud flaps on you rear tires, don't want to risk stooting rocks hitting your car.

Also you need to get a low angle trailer, a drop axle tilt trail, or a long bed tilt trailer with a low angle of attack, to make sure the car can get onto the trailer without bottoming out.

All said and done,

I my son and I fly out and drove back, again we had fun, we stopped ever fifty miles to drop a few bucks in the slots for mom (about 15 to 30 mins) then stopped as reccommended every 100 mile for one hour most of the time longer because we would eat, check out the local to do's or go to a movie.

we had a blast.

After we got home, Adrienne call and we made the arrangements to have the parts shipped to my garage door. no sweat no fuss no muss. clean and simple and about the same as if you were to rent a trailer for about 250 a day for out of state or oneway use.

Beside its much more fun to not be rushed to get the trailer home or worry about all the garbage that goes with renting. And its even more fun to be able to break it in on a one time trip because you can better control the break in process, it's faster and you will know right a way with their is anything that needs attention. But the best part is the next day, the last leg home, after you past the break in point, now you can test her out on the open road, and fell the difference people talk about.

That just makes it all the better after you get home because now you know your car and are ready to have some all out fun.

Jim,

Means we live in the same general area, if you don't mind me asking, how much was shipping on the parts? I'm debating the same think on if I should bring my truck to pick it up and put all the parts in the bed for the trip home. Or just fly out there and drive home and ship the parts back.

I picked mine up last month - #100

Flew out with my 10 year old

Drove it home 2100 miles

Made all stops required

It's a trip we will never forget

Drive the car, just don't look at it!!!

Cost around $600 to get the parts shipped home to Wisconsin.

I will post later this year, all the awesome pictures and the great story (to me anyway) - :hysterical:

Jim,

Means we live in the same general area, if you don't mind me asking, how much was shipping on the parts? I'm debating the same think on if I should bring my truck to pick it up and put all the parts in the bed for the trip home. Or just fly out there and drive home and ship the parts back.

$621.00,

All parts packaged in boxes, all parts recieved on pallets, all parts recieved in good condition, all parts recieved within a days of payment, and set in front (to the right) of my garage so that the garage was not blocked.

Very much worth the cost as far as I am concerned. A lot of the partss are still in the boxes SAI sent them in.

$621.00,

All parts packaged in boxes, all parts recieved on pallets, all parts recieved in good condition, all parts recieved within a days of payment, and set in front (to the right) of my garage so that the garage was not blocked.

Very much worth the cost as far as I am concerned. A lot of the partss are still in the boxes SAI sent them in.

Thanks Jim!

I trailered mine home with the take off parts in the truck. I wanted to break-in ( bad choice of words ) the new gears and S/C slowly. It took me two weeks to hit the 300 mile mark, 25 miles a day.

May not be everyones way, but that's what I did.

IMG_2613.jpg

Thanks Jim!

When are going to get her back?

I am tighting the bullrun daed line with mine. Had a few set back, evo has been great in taking care of thinks.

When are going to get her back?

I am tighting the bullrun daed line with mine. Had a few set back, evo has been great in taking care of thinks.

I haven't even been called in for the conversion yet. My car is still in my garage. Maybe this weekend I can give you a call and talk to you about your SS. I'm not going to be able to make Texas unfortunately.

I haven't even been called in for the conversion yet. My car is still in my garage. Maybe this weekend I can give you a call and talk to you about your SS. I'm not going to be able to make Texas unfortunately.

I am moving the computers around to different locations and rooms they are up and running then down and apart. In between I jump on line, and must have misunderstood what you were saying. We are sorry to hear you can’t make the Bull Run and hope you get your call soon.

We will be around this weekend, my car should be back home again by then, so I can get her ready for the trip.

Archived