TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fender Stripes?

ShelbyEra08

They were used originally by multi car teams in FIA events, where Cobras were blue, Ferraris were red, etc, to identify the individual cars at speed when they sped past the pits.

Porsche and others used to paint their silver cars with red or blue flashes on the rear fenders for the same purpose.

In the day, they were known as FIA stripes.

They are also known as "Pit Stripes". The Story I read was: Before they were added, when ever a Car came down Pit Row, every Pit Crew that had a similar Car would get ready to jump the Wall only to see that it was not there Car so a Crew Chief took a Can of Paint and a Brush and Painted Two Red Stripes on their Car so His Pit Crew did not waste time getting ready for a Car that was not theirs. It caught on and history was made.

David.

I would like to add to this as well. Correct me if I am wrong (and I'm sorry if I am), the yellow stripes signify that the driver was a "rookie" and it gave fair warning to those ahead or behind. Again, don't know if that is correct, but that is what someone who has yellow fender stripes on his ERA FIA style Cobra 427 told me.

Yes, A yellow stripe on a race car signifies a "Rookie".

Yes, two yellow stripes on the driver's side fender means...

PUCKER UP AND PASS WITH CAUTION! :shift:

:hysterical:

Actually, the yellow stripe rookie thing is NASCAR and it is fairly modern. NASCAR puts that stripe across the rear valance to signify a rookie to drivers preparing to pass.

If Mr Bondurant is at the Terlingua event, we can ask him if yellow held the same significance in the 60's.

Actually, the yellow stripe rookie thing is NASCAR and it is fairly modern. NASCAR puts that stripe across the rear valance to signify a rookie to drivers preparing to pass.

If Mr Bondurant is at the Terlingua event, we can ask him if yellow held the same significance in the 60's.

Actually, McQuirk it more than just NASCAR. Here is an excerpt from the Vintage Racers Group (VRG) Handbook:

1.5. New Drivers: Drivers without prior experience or a current competition license will generally be required to successfully complete a recognized professional three-day road racing school, followed by the VRG Drivers School or DOP. Rookie stripes will be required on the car for the first three events.

Stuart

Actually, McQuirk it more than just NASCAR. Here is an excerpt from the Vintage Racers Group (VRG) Handbook:

1.5. New Drivers: Drivers without prior experience or a current competition license will generally be required to successfully complete a recognized professional three-day road racing school, followed by the VRG Drivers School or DOP. Rookie stripes will be required on the car for the first three events.

Stuart

Stuart,

out of curiosity, does this handbook mention the color and location of the stripes?

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I saw one with silver ones,what does that mean, :headscratch:

I am thinking of replacing the yellow Terlingua stripes with Tunsten Gray on my 40th in rememberence of the original stripes that came from the factory when they were replaced with Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS) and the memories of trying to convince Amy to let me keep them.

Archived