TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone got DISed by your Dealer?

Slabo

That's the Dealer Installed Scratches (DIS) option. Holy $#@% what did they wash this thing with a dirty dish rag? :doh: Anyway, forgot to take pics of the before but here are the pics after detailing. I wasn't able to get some of the deeper scratches out with just my DA buffer so I either have to learn to use a rotary or probably get a professional to get it completely smooth. Still its lookin perdy...

Shelby%20Masked.JPG

Shelby%20Front.JPG

Shelby%20Front2.JPG

Shelby%20Badge.JPG

Shelby%20Side2.JPG

Shelby%20Interior.JPG

I appreciate the work you put into your car, It must of taken as long to mask those areas as it did to buff and wax. Black has a history of showing dirt and scratches first, so i dont think it will be the last time you mask your car. But from your pics the car looks great !! :lurk::drool:

Thanks. I would have masked and buffed it anyway, however, it would have been a lot easier if the dealer had never touched it. :banghead: Don't let them wash it especially if its black...

How did you deal with the side stripe since you taped of the rest of the car.

mrdci - I was real careful but I read that the stripes where coated and could be waxed. So I carefully tested with the buffer with just pure polish and it works fine. I also used the DA to apply 2 coats of Meguiars NXT which does not leave any residue along the sides.

Great work!

I'm getting ready to go rotary on mine. It has so many microscratches it looks like I drove through about 5 miles of cobwebs.

GOD I HATE BLACK!!!

Unless it's clean then it's the purdiest color ever..... :happy feet:

I was able to get the microscrathes out with just a DA buffer and Meguiars #80. Tried using #83 for some of the other scratches and could not get that to work very well. Don't think it works well with this clear coat. Gave up on that and figured it would take a rotary to really get it smooth. I have not yet mastered the rotary though I did do my old Honda and it worked out fine. Just afraid yet to try that on the GT500.

The sad thing is I took it out for a spirited drive in the country yesterday and now the front is covered in bugs. Time for a wash. :hyper: It was worth it as it was fun!!!! :happy feet:

OK, my ignorance is showing again: DA means...?

And rotary, do you mean something like the red powerball that I see around in the car care products? I thought I might get one and try it on my wife's RAV-4.

DA stands for Dual Action (it both rotates and orbits at the same time) polisher. I use a Porter Cable 7424 with Meguiars foam polishing pads (8006) for cleaners/polishers and a foam finishing pad (9006) for applying wax. Meguiars sells one called the G110. It does a great job and it is nearly impossible to damage the paint (unlike a rotary) but you can scratch the paint if not used properly. Sure saves on elbow grease but it does have limits as to how much it will remove deeper scratches. If you push on it real hard the rotating head just stops.

porter%20cable%207424.jpg

A rotary buffer has the wheel attached directly to the motor and can really apply the force. Can be used with both wool and foam pads and is used by pros. Can remove a lot more surface defects/scratches but requires practice with the right product not to remove to much paint (i.e. burn right through). A lot of times you will follow this up with the DA polisher to remove swiral marks created by the rotary buffer. The head does not stop when pushed on real hard just removes more paint. I have an older Porter Cable 7420 that I use on my boats but am not brave enough to try on the Shelby, yet.

porter%20cable%20rotary.jpg

Beautiful finish! I've only had my black car for three weeks and have already decided it needs to be detailed. The question is, do I do it myself, or get a professional to do it. Should I do it myself, I'd be hoping for a finish as good as yours!

How long did it take you?

That's the Dealer Installed Scratches (DIS) option. Holy $#@% what did they wash this thing with a dirty dish rag? :doh: Anyway, forgot to take pics of the before but here are the pics after detailing. I wasn't able to get some of the deeper scratches out with just my DA buffer so I either have to learn to use a rotary or probably get a professional to get it completely smooth. Still its lookin perdy...

Shelby%20Masked.JPG

Shelby%20Front.JPG

Shelby%20Front2.JPG

Shelby%20Badge.JPG

Shelby%20Side2.JPG

Shelby%20Interior.JPG

Hmmmmmmm.......And I though I had the only SHELBY with the dealer installed scratches option... Sorry to hear, But I have felt your pain. When I picked my car up in Indiana in late November we were rushing to get out of the dealership to beat a snow storm that was comming... Well we beat the storm..When I washed the car at home I noticed the car was scratched everywhere, looked like they had used a rag off the ground to wash and dry...Boy was I pissed.. Spent the next two days with meguires scratch-X over the entire car to remove most of the scratches. Some could probably still need buffed out, but I can only find them if I really look for them so I have not pursued buffing yet...

Beautiful finish! I've only had my black car for three weeks and have already decided it needs to be detailed. The question is, do I do it myself, or get a professional to do it. Should I do it myself, I'd be hoping for a finish as good as yours!

How long did it take you?

Venix - you should definately get some wax on that bad boy! :hyper: A new car is fairly easy to detail and I would recommend you spend the time learning how to detail it yourself. I find it rewarding and I can get it done on my time. For what a good detail would cost you can get a DA polisher with pads and some Meguiars Speed Glaze (#80) which is really easy to use. You can do it in a day or easily over a weekend. Once it is polished up I recommend one of the newer polymer waxes like Meguiars NXT 2.0 or Turtle Wax Ice. Great stuff, lasts much much longer, hides small scratches and looks like a mirror. Check out Meguiars Online forum for all the details. Have fun.

Hmmmmmmm.......And I though I had the only SHELBY with the dealer installed scratches option... Sorry to hear, But I have felt your pain. When I picked my car up in Indiana in late November we were rushing to get out of the dealership to beat a snow storm that was comming... Well we beat the storm..When I washed the car at home I noticed the car was scratched everywhere, looked like they had used a rag off the ground to wash and dry...Boy was I pissed.. Spent the next two days with meguires scratch-X over the entire car to remove most of the scratches. Some could probably still need buffed out, but I can only find them if I really look for them so I have not pursued buffing yet...

Sounds like my situation. I drove the car back from Ohio so I was itching to get out of there. When I got it out in the sunlight and really looked I was also very pissed. I still have not got it completely cleaned up but they are much harder to see now...

Honestly guys, get some leveling compound in all stages and use your DA (NOT rotary with cutting compounds). Make sure you read up on using them first, but you will be able to remove all of the scratches no problem with it. I would then follow up with the Adam's swirl and haze remover, fine machine polish, and then finally super machine wax.

Honestly guys, get some leveling compound in all stages and use your DA (NOT rotary with cutting compounds). Make sure you read up on using them first, but you will be able to remove all of the scratches no problem with it. I would then follow up with the Adam's swirl and haze remover, fine machine polish, and then finally super machine wax.

CRQuarto, what do you recommend for leveling compound with a DA? I tried Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner/Polish (#83) without success. I couldn't find anything more aggressive in their line that would work with a DA. So I guess I need another brand recommendation. Not familiar with Adam's brand. Looks good but didn't see anything more aggressive than removing swirls and polishing. I would really like to be able to find a product, as you suggest, that would work with a DA to remove the deeper scratches. Thx.

Try using the adam's swirl and haze and fine machine polish first on a single body panel first, such as your hood, and see if you can remove them with those two using the orange pad on the porter cable. If that doesnt work let me know, also, take pictures of your scratches and such in bright sunlight so we can see what we are working with. If you need something as harsh as a medium cut leveler I would be very surprised, you may just need a slightly more aggressive polish first, then step back up to the swirl and haze, then fine machine polish. Here are links to the stuff on Adam's website:

Fine Machine Polish:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-140-fine-ma...olish-16oz.aspx

Swirl and Haze Remover:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-97-swirl-ha...mover-16oz.aspx

Porter cable pads:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-330-2nd-gen...king-plate.aspx

Porter Cable 7424:

http://cpoworkshop.com/polishers/7424.html...w=%7Bkeyword%7D

Trust me when I say you CAN NOT go wrong with the Adam's products. I was a huge meguiars guy for a long long time, I also did detailing as a job for a while and while the meguiars products are good, the adam's stuff is just light years better in terms of ease of use and perfect formulation. Everything works as advertised, and it never fails to amaze people when they try the stuff.

Try using the adam's swirl and haze and fine machine polish first on a single body panel first, such as your hood, and see if you can remove them with those two using the orange pad on the porter cable. If that doesnt work let me know, also, take pictures of your scratches and such in bright sunlight so we can see what we are working with. If you need something as harsh as a medium cut leveler I would be very surprised, you may just need a slightly more aggressive polish first, then step back up to the swirl and haze, then fine machine polish. Here are links to the stuff on Adam's website:

Fine Machine Polish:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-140-fine-ma...olish-16oz.aspx

Swirl and Haze Remover:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-97-swirl-ha...mover-16oz.aspx

Porter cable pads:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-330-2nd-gen...king-plate.aspx

Porter Cable 7424:

http://cpoworkshop.com/polishers/7424.html...w=%7Bkeyword%7D

Trust me when I say you CAN NOT go wrong with the Adam's products. I was a huge meguiars guy for a long long time, I also did detailing as a job for a while and while the meguiars products are good, the adam's stuff is just light years better in terms of ease of use and perfect formulation. Everything works as advertised, and it never fails to amaze people when they try the stuff.

CR, are these products safe to use on the stripes? Thanks.

Mark

CR, are these products safe to use on the stripes? Thanks.

Mark

Adam's Revive Polish is safe to use on the stripes if used by hand, but they just released a clear bra material polish and spray that works GREAT:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-340-clear-spray-16oz.aspx

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-341-clear-polish-16oz.aspx

The spray is more for the clear bra, as any detail spray or any wax, ect with any kind of coloring to it over time will stain the clear bra. The color will permeate the pores. The polish is what you would want for your stripes, and their super machine wax is good for the stripes too. I would NOT use anything other than the Clear Polish or Revive Polish. I used the Revive Polish successfully on my car as my roof stripes need to be replaced due to bubbling, so I figured hell why not test a few things on them to see what works. The Revive Polish made the stripes pop, brought out the color, and did in fact polish them which leads me to believe there is a VERY slight clear on them. Would I use the Revive polish more than once? No, because I have no idea how much clear is on the stripes, so I would only use the Clear Polish repeatedly.

If you are going to use the levelers, I would say you HAVE to mask off your stripes and plastics, anything not paint, with blue painters tape. Double up on it if you have to. Also, make sure you do as much research on the stuff as possible. I know how to use it and am not scared of it, but even though I know what I am doing, I still prefer people educate themselves about these things before doing it. These levelers are for serious scratches and paint imperfections. I say try the Swirl and Haze remover first coupled with the Fine Machine polish and see if that removes the scratches, if not, it may be time to move to something more heavy duty. Again, pictures would help.

If you are going to use the levelers, I would say you HAVE to mask off your stripes and plastics, anything not paint, with blue painters tape. Double up on it if you have to. Also, make sure you do as much research on the stuff as possible. I know how to use it and am not scared of it, but even though I know what I am doing, I still prefer people educate themselves about these things before doing it. These levelers are for serious scratches and paint imperfections. I say try the Swirl and Haze remover first coupled with the Fine Machine polish and see if that removes the scratches, if not, it may be time to move to something more heavy duty. Again, pictures would help.

Thanks CRQuarto, I appreciate the info and the Adam's products sound great especially since you have used the Meguiars products in the past and think these are a major step forward. I have no problem doing the research to get familiar with the technique required. I will take some pics and post. I will need to order up the Adam's products to give the Swirl and Haze/Fine Machine polish a try. I think doing a test with these products is a good idea as I prefer to use the least aggresive product necessary. I will let you know how it goes.

Thx,

-- Bob

Thanks CRQuarto, I appreciate the info and the Adam's products sound great especially since you have used the Meguiars products in the past and think these are a major step forward. I have no problem doing the research to get familiar with the technique required. I will take some pics and post. I will need to order up the Adam's products to give the Swirl and Haze/Fine Machine polish a try. I think doing a test with these products is a good idea as I prefer to use the least aggresive product necessary. I will let you know how it goes.

Thx,

-- Bob

Sounds good, if you need anything I strongly suggest you contact Jason Armstrong, he is a wealth of knowledge and one of the head guys at Adam's. Here is his email: Jason@AdamsPolishes.com

Archived