TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Painted Brake Caliper question

I've done a little caliper painting in my past - also painted the rotor centers to match on a '92 Dodge Stealth R/T that I owned last year.

The hard part about painting the calipers with a spray style paint is the time that it takes to tape everything off to shield from overspray.

At least with the rotors you could pull them off and spray them away from the car.

I found this on Moss Mustang Store (Sorry - I'm starting to sound like a Moss Mustang store rep or something)

Brake Caliper Paint System

It looks as though you simply brush the paint on the caliper rather than spray and that could be a whole lot easier.

You have to use a heat resistant paint otherwise, if you use anything else, you'll actually burn the paint and the color will be lost all together.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think if I'm going to do this, I'm going to opt for the brush-on application as opposed to the spray-on. I would think the brush-on paint, you can get a thicker application less likely to run plus you wouldn't have to mask the car off as much either.

Evan.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think if I'm going to do this, I'm going to opt for the brush-on application as opposed to the spray-on. I would think the brush-on paint, you can get a thicker application less likely to run plus you wouldn't have to mask the car off as much either.

Evan.

Just take your time. Do a few coats and buy some small art brushes.

At the risk of being a nay sayer, what I have noticed, first, is that few jobs are done well. Grabber is correct that you have to put maximum effort into the job to get the best results. But what I have also noticed with painted stock calipers is that, once painted, they look kind of, well, small. With the stock caliper color you do not really notice them but, paint them, and you sure do. Not knocking it if that is what you want to do. Have any of you noticed the same thing about the size?

Jim

At the risk of being a nay sayer, what I have noticed, first, is that few jobs are done well. Grabber is correct that you have to put maximum effort into the job to get the best results. But what I have also noticed with painted stock calipers is that, once painted, they look kind of, well, small. With the stock caliper color you do not really notice them but, paint them, and you sure do. Not knocking it if that is what you want to do. Have any of you noticed the same thing about the size?

Jim

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to see some pics of the stock calipers painted before I go ahead and do this. Probably do it in the winter when the car will be layed up for a while.

Evan.

I've painted the calipers and rotors on several different vehicles. Every time I used brush on Rustoleum enamel. Apply the same brand primer first, let it dry. Then 2 coats of color. Never had any discoloring or fading and the paint never chipped off. Probably a little cheaper than the "caliper paints" and the finish is just as nice.

I've painted the calipers and rotors on several different vehicles. Every time I used brush on Rustoleum enamel. Apply the same brand primer first, let it dry. Then 2 coats of color. Never had any discoloring or fading and the paint never chipped off. Probably a little cheaper than the "caliper paints" and the finish is just as nice.

I didn't think regular Rustoleum could handle the extreme heat. A friend of mine suggested using engine paint.

Evan.

Archived