TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'09 Mustang GT

Yep...My local Ford dealership has a 2009 Mustang GT in black on the lot. It's advertised as an " 45th anneversary" edition. Don't know more about it, dealerships are closed by law on Sunday around here. I'll go back during this week and check it out.

Here's the bad news...This car has an SGT front grille. Chrome, with the pony emblem, right out of the SPP catalogue.

I'm rather disappointed to see this, but what can you do. Spoils the appearance unique to the SGT, but business is business, eh? Looks like this...

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/sho...093/limit/views

Question...If it's a genuine Ford build, is it cloning?

Yep...My local Ford dealership has a 2009 Mustang GT in black on the lot. It's advertised as an " 45th anneversary" edition. Don't know more about it, dealerships are closed by law on Sunday around here. I'll go back during this week and check it out.

Here's the bad news...This car has an SGT front grille. Chrome, with the pony emblem, right out of the SPP catalogue.

I'm rather disappointed to see this, but what can you do. Spoils the appearance unique to the SGT, but business is business, eh? Looks like this...

Mac, do you mean a dealer build? I ask since that would not be a genuine Ford build so it would be clone, imho ...at least to the extent it mimicked a genuine build.

'10MY GT will be 5.0 Coyote-based and 100HP more ...and likely on a very early J1 schedule (January with dealers seeing volume ships in March is highly likely), so I think in several months leftover '09MY MGTs will be deeeeeeply discounted -- possibly a great chance to pick up a leftover and put a S/C on it with the savings. My inclination would be toward the new 5.0 tho.

Curious what price they're asking.

Hmmm, couple of the new 09's sitting on local dealer's lot here in Odessa, but I hadn't noticed the grille...guess I need to cruise back by there and take another look again...

And WHY are we going back to a 5.0 engine??? I hated that engine...I don't know why, but I just hated it...can't they come up with something better than a "new" 5.0 engine??? Geezzzzz

Hmmm, couple of the new 09's sitting on local dealer's lot here in Odessa, but I hadn't noticed the grille...guess I need to cruise back by there and take another look again...

And WHY are we going back to a 5.0 engine??? I hated that engine...I don't know why, but I just hated it...can't they come up with something better than a "new" 5.0 engine??? Geezzzzz

What's not to like? Not going back -- going forward ...it's a 5.0 modular -- 'square' like the 4.6 but about 0.10" mmore B & S. No likey that???

What's not to like? Not going back -- going forward ...it's a 5.0 modular -- 'square' like the 4.6 but about 0.10" mmore B & S. No likey that???

I guess I'd rather see something like a 390 CI modular or a 427 CI modular....LMAO...I am old school and really like cubic inches!!!!! I'm Kidding!!! I know we'll never see anything like that in a factory Mustang...but it would be nice!

If you want cubes Carl then how about the 5.4 330cubic inch like what's in the GT 500.i think that engine would be pretty potent without a supercharger.I'm like you in that i like cubes but the 4.6 will run circles around the old 390.Ford could probably squeeze out 40 or50 more horses out of the 5.4 not counting more torque.This would probably satisfy a lot of people that are supercharging there cars.Just a thought.

The 2009 Mustang looks no different that the '08. There is a "Warriors in Pink" edition w/ a billet grille, but that's the only one. What you saw was something the dealer did, probably thinking that it would help sell the car.

Mac, do you mean a dealer build? I ask since that would not be a genuine Ford build so it would be clone, imho ...at least to the extent it mimicked a genuine build.

'10MY GT will be 5.0 Coyote-based and 100HP more ...and likely on a very early J1 schedule (January with dealers seeing volume ships in March is highly likely), so I think in several months leftover '09MY MGTs will be deeeeeeply discounted -- possibly a great chance to pick up a leftover and put a S/C on it with the savings. My inclination would be toward the new 5.0 tho.

Curious what price they're asking.

68, I am not familiar with this engine but I assume it is not the 5.0 cammer is that correct? If it is just a bored and stroked engine with 20 more cubic inches do you know how they are getting 100 more hp? What other changes to the engine?

Ford build or not.....how does merely installing a chrome grill mean cloning? You have to change a lot more than just a grill to clone something.

By that logic I guess you could say the SGT is really a clone of the California Special since the SGT is built off that design. It comes with the factory fron and rear facia the California Special has, plus it's side scoops, plus it's interior. Plus it's 18" Chrome bullitt style wheels. All those items are the exact same items on the Californis Special which is a Factory production car that was out before the SGT came out. In fact, the SGT is a CS with spoiler delete and shipped to SAI for the Shelby upfit to be added which mostly consists of performance parts aside from the hood scoop, stripes, chrome upper grill inserts they add.

So if merely adding a chrome grill insert alone is cloning then the SGT is really a cloned CS by that definition since the SGT has all the CS parts added with the exception of the rear spoiler.

I guess I'd rather see something like a 390 CI modular or a 427 CI modular....LMAO...I am old school and really like cubic inches!!!!! I'm Kidding!!! I know we'll never see anything like that in a factory Mustang...but it would be nice!

<lol> yeah, good old cubes!!! I was hoping the H/Boss truck motor would eventually get us there but Mark Fiels says that was never part of the plan. While I'm sure that's the truth, the plan only looks ahead so far and changes a couple times a year :spiteful: <lol> so things can change. The 7.0L experimental version of the SOHC H/Boss was race-prepped on E85 and tested in the yellow Roush/Bowles S197 mule and ran in the 9.40 145 in MM&FF, but when I talked to Bowles folks a few weeks ago i found out that it eventually ran 8.80s and mid 150s! ...one 7.0L NA!!!! That's 1100ish HP at the wheels. Got my attention, even if no play for it to see a mustang ...yet.

68, I am not familiar with this engine but I assume it is not the 5.0 cammer is that correct? If it is just a bored and stroked engine with 20 more cubic inches do you know how they are getting 100 more hp? What other changes to the engine?

My understanding is that it's a beefed version of the 4.6 low-deck modular -- a derivative of the much-improved Aluminator with 1.x mm thinner sleevers (2.x mm bore inclrease) and slightly lengthened sleeves to acocmmodate the lsightly longer stroke.

The 4.6 GT is a 'square' motor (bore aprox equal to stroke). The 5.0 'cammer' uses spray-bore tech (metalurgy process that bonds a thin liner directly yo the alloy bores) and gets to 5.0 totally on bore (oversquare). The Saleen PJ has 4.6 bore with standard 4mm thick liners so gets to 5.0 solely bia stroke. The Coyote, reportedly will be about 1/10" more bore (new pressed-in liner (not spray-bore) and about 1/10" longer stroke -- beefed block, better cooling.

How 400HP? Revised heads with GDI and VVT and/or VCT would do it. It will also get a couple mpg better than the 4.6 too boot. What I'm not sure of is if the GT gets DOHC GDI heads. The rumors say yes and that makes sense to me, but then there's not much differentiation-space for the BOSS, it would seem, so that's the part I'm a little uncomfortable with since Ford will not do the BOSS as a tape and sticker job -- far too much tradition and lineage on that marque, imo.

Went back to the Ford dealership and looked over this "45th Anniversary" edition. It's not a dealer build, everything is listed on the sticker. It's quite unimpressive, IMHO.

Shelby GT chrome front grille with pony emblem, no fog lights. Ford Racing polished aluminum wheels (M-1007-M188P also used on the Mercury Marauder. You can see these wheels in my sig pics, only powdercoated black), 45th Anniversary fender badges, faux hood scoop, flat black stripe kit (hood only), flat black rear spoiler, and Sirius-XM radio.

It's not a GT. It's a V-6 with auto tranny, and rather drab interior. Standard Mustang with some badging and a wheel upgrade.

26K and change.

Personally and IMHO, this is a disappointing presentation. An "anniversary" car should have more features, at the very least be a MGT.

I just checked the Ford website, and did a "Build Your Own". What you're looking at there is V6 with the "V6 Appearance Package". With that, you get the billet grille. I can't seem to figure out how one ends up w/ the 45th Anniv. badge on the side; it just sort of appears in the pictures.

If you-all haven't seen the Ford website lately, its been redesigned, plus you can download the '09 Mustang brochure, which includes the Shelby GT500 and GT500KR.

Go here and click on "download specifications" ---> http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/features/specs/

<lol> yeah, good old cubes!!! I was hoping the H/Boss truck motor would eventually get us there but Mark Fiels says that was never part of the plan. While I'm sure that's the truth, the plan only looks ahead so far and changes a couple times a year :spiteful: <lol> so things can change. The 7.0L experimental version of the SOHC H/Boss was race-prepped on E85 and tested in the yellow Roush/Bowles S197 mule and ran in the 9.40 145 in MM&FF, but when I talked to Bowles folks a few weeks ago i found out that it eventually ran 8.80s and mid 150s! ...one 7.0L NA!!!! That's 1100ish HP at the wheels. Got my attention, even if no play for it to see a mustang ...yet.

My understanding is that it's a beefed version of the 4.6 low-deck modular -- a derivative of the much-improved Aluminator with 1.x mm thinner sleevers (2.x mm bore inclrease) and slightly lengthened sleeves to acocmmodate the lsightly longer stroke.

The 4.6 GT is a 'square' motor (bore aprox equal to stroke). The 5.0 'cammer' uses spray-bore tech (metalurgy process that bonds a thin liner directly yo the alloy bores) and gets to 5.0 totally on bore (oversquare). The Saleen PJ has 4.6 bore with standard 4mm thick liners so gets to 5.0 solely bia stroke. The Coyote, reportedly will be about 1/10" more bore (new pressed-in liner (not spray-bore) and about 1/10" longer stroke -- beefed block, better cooling.

How 400HP? Revised heads with GDI and VVT and/or VCT would do it. It will also get a couple mpg better than the 4.6 too boot. What I'm not sure of is if the GT gets DOHC GDI heads. The rumors say yes and that makes sense to me, but then there's not much differentiation-space for the BOSS, it would seem, so that's the part I'm a little uncomfortable with since Ford will not do the BOSS as a tape and sticker job -- far too much tradition and lineage on that marque, imo.

68, do you know if the 5.0 mod will have forged internals? 400 HP, forged internals, and SC would easily top 500 HP with less weight than a GT 500. Have to wonder if their would be a Shelby GT and what mods?

68, do you know if the 5.0 mod will have forged internals? 400 HP, forged internals, and SC would easily top 500 HP with less weight than a GT 500. Have to wonder if their would be a Shelby GT and what mods?

Good Q. There has reportedly been a forged-internals 5.0 in development for some time now but dunno if that's for the GT -- maybe it's for the BOSS.

Ford build or not.....how does merely installing a chrome grill mean cloning? You have to change a lot more than just a grill to clone something.

By that logic I guess you could say the SGT is really a clone of the California Special since the SGT is built off that design. It comes with the factory fron and rear facia the California Special has, plus it's side scoops, plus it's interior. Plus it's 18" Chrome bullitt style wheels. All those items are the exact same items on the Californis Special which is a Factory production car that was out before the SGT came out. In fact, the SGT is a CS with spoiler delete and shipped to SAI for the Shelby upfit to be added which mostly consists of performance parts aside from the hood scoop, stripes, chrome upper grill inserts they add.

So if merely adding a chrome grill insert alone is cloning then the SGT is really a cloned CS by that definition since the SGT has all the CS parts added with the exception of the rear spoiler.

The SGT doesn't use the CS interior and it also starts off as a GT which they add the CS bumper covers and scoops to. The rear spoiler was a delete option on the CS as well. I would have thought it would have been cheaper and easier for Shelby to start with the CS in the first place.

This V6 appearance package came out in 2008. I'm assuming this is the same package referenced above.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...earance+package

Thank you, sir!

The pics in your link are very close to what I found at the Ford dealership. Only difference I can see is the base color (what I saw is black) and dual exhaust. What I saw is a V-6 and auto tranny, with a single exhaust tip on the passenger side.

Mac,

What you saw is available from Ford and called the V6 Pony Grill (PN: A5MST-8200-AA) and part of the V6 body kit. Chrome exhaust tips are also available there for the V6 as are special v6 side scoops or CA Special side scoops. There is also a V6 Rear Valance that looks kinda like ours in the V6 body kit (PN: A6MST-6320049-EA or DA depending upon which spoiler you want) These have all ben available since at least June 2007 which is the date on the Ford brochure I have. The fender badge comes on all V6 mustangs. I would even go as far to say that a V6 with the entire package from Ford looks BETTER than a GT.

The complete Mustang Accessories catalog can be obtained from your Ford dealer's parts department # ABT-4169

Go to:

http://www.fordaccessories.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived