TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Manual 2007GT Hertz Convertible?

Big news regarding Shelby models in Canada. If you have been following my rantings over the past half year I have been yellin' and screamin' about a bunch of Shelby models that are banned in Canada. The banned models included the Shelby GT-H and the Shelby GT. Well tonight I was on my regular internet routine/addiction and I happened to check the Government of Canada list of banned vehichles and guess what!!!!!!! The 07 and newer Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT are NO LONGER BANNED!!!!!!

THEY ARE NOW ADMISSABLE INTO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it out on page #9 and #10 underhttp://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/VAFUS.pdf

I gotta tell you I just about :cry:. Life is good again, well it's been really good but it just got a little better. So, my GT-H, which has been a three eyed troll and hanging out in Vegas (probably crusing the clubs and partying it up) waiting for this change in Canadian government policy as well as the trip home can now make the trip up north to daddy. Im so :hyper: i can barely drink my beer without spilling it. One problem, we had our first snow fall today and we "receieved" 4" of snow :cold: . Lovely!!!!! So, I can make the break for Vegas and try to get her home quickly and risk snow and possible tragedy or wait till next spring and safer roads without the risk of ice, snow and possible crashes. What to do, what to do?

Ah, who cares, I'll figure it out tomorrow. I am no longer an outcast, I am no longer a renegade in my own country, I am loved and wanted again. They love me..........my government really loves me :wub: .

QSS

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

I think I would bring it into Canada asap. They seem to continually change what is and is not allowed. It would be a shame if you waited until Spring and the GT-H's were back on the banned list for some stupid reason!! The snow is a bummer!! I think you need to trailer it for that part of the drive : )

Big news regarding Shelby models in Canada. If you have been following my rantings over the past half year I have been yellin' and screamin' about a bunch of Shelby models that are banned in Canada. The banned models included the Shelby GT-H and the Shelby GT. Well tonight I was on my regular internet routine/addiction and I happened to check the Government of Canada list of banned vehichles and guess what!!!!!!! The 07 and newer Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT are NO LONGER BANNED!!!!!!

THEY ARE NOW ADMISSABLE INTO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it out on page #9 and #10 underhttp://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/VAFUS.pdf

I gotta tell you I just about :cry:. Life is good again, well it's been really good but it just got a little better. So, my GT-H, which has been a three eyed troll and hanging out in Vegas (probably crusing the clubs and partying it up) waiting for this change in Canadian government policy as well as the trip home can now make the trip up north to daddy. Im so :hyper: i can barely drink my beer without spilling it. One problem, we had our first snow fall today and we "receieved" 4" of snow :cold: . Lovely!!!!! So, I can make the break for Vegas and try to get her home quickly and risk snow and possible tragedy or wait till next spring and safer roads without the risk of ice, snow and possible crashes. What to do, what to do?

Ah, who cares, I'll figure it out tomorrow. I am no longer an outcast, I am no longer a renegade in my own country, I am loved and wanted again. They love me..........my government really loves me :wub: .

QSS

THATS AWESOME NEWS :happy feet:

Can't wait to see it when it arrives!!!!!!!

THATS AWESOME NEWS :happy feet:

Can't wait to see it when it arrives!!!!!!!

Thanks Larry!

Hoped to have her home this fall but lots of snow and cold around along with gravel and salt on the roads. This kinda makes it hard to plan a road trip to bring her from Vegas to Alberta sooooooooooooooooo maybe I wait till spring and try to get to Vegas in February for the Shelby bash.

But when I get her here, lets get together and crusie the good cruise, ya know, GT-H style.

QSS

Thanks Larry!

Hoped to have her home this fall but lots of snow and cold around along with gravel and salt on the roads. This kinda makes it hard to plan a road trip to bring her from Vegas to Alberta sooooooooooooooooo maybe I wait till spring and try to get to Vegas in February for the Shelby bash.

But when I get her here, lets get together and crusie the good cruise, ya know, GT-H style.

QSS

Congratulations to you!!! Now you have your Baby at home and can enjoy her every time when you want to.

But avoid salt! This will destroy the car forever. And you will loose the fun, pride and happiness when you sit in a rusty Shelby. It’s worth to wait because now you know it’s possible (maybe you can register the car already but without having her physically in Alberta?).

Also in just a view weeks you will be together with her again in Vegas, so don’t waste mileage.

Again congratulations and have a lot of fun!

PS: Can you waste mileage while driving a Shelby?

Congratulations to you!!! Now you have your Baby at home and can enjoy her every time when you want to.

But avoid salt! This will destroy the car forever. And you will loose the fun, pride and happiness when you sit in a rusty Shelby. It’s worth to wait because now you know it’s possible (maybe you can register the car already but without having her physically in Alberta?).

Also in just a view weeks you will be together with her again in Vegas, so don’t waste mileage.

Again congratulations and have a lot of fun!

PS: Can you waste mileage while driving a Shelby?

Thanks 485hp. Unfortunately I can't export the car out of the US or import it into Canada unless the car is present at the time of export/import sooooooooo the car might have to stay in Vegas for a while longer to avoid the dreaded snow and ice on the roads.

I don't think you can waste milage while driving a Shelby? I dusted off 1000 miles in one 18 hour day driving the GT-H from Oklahoma to Vegas and the smile never left my face. In fact, I still think of that day and do not regret the trip one bit.

QSS

Thanks 485hp. Unfortunately I can't export the car out of the US or import it into Canada unless the car is present at the time of export/import sooooooooo the car might have to stay in Vegas for a while longer to avoid the dreaded snow and ice on the roads.

I don't think you can waste milage while driving a Shelby? I dusted off 1000 miles in one 18 hour day driving the GT-H from Oklahoma to Vegas and the smile never left my face. In fact, I still think of that day and do not regret the trip one bit.

QSS

I know exactely what you mean. With both of my cars the very first driving was from Germany to Austria ~ round 1.000 miles. And it was fun.

The mileage might just be important if you sell the car soon. So if you are going to sell her in the next months or year you should not drive because of mileage.

If you will keep the car forever mileage doesn´t matter. But rust does. So again you should not drive her.

Leave her in Vegas, have nice dreams and wait happily for spring. Mayby you do a skidoo-race in the snow thinking about the next Shelby-Meeting in hot Las Vegas. That´s what I have to do also because here in Vienna today we had the first (little) snowing for this winter. So Shelby season will end soon (even I have to collect my Cobra without roof some 300 miles away - will be a cold trip with a new 484 horsepower engine).

Best regards to Canada

PS: Yesterday I went to a ZZ-Top Konzert. Are they Texas- or Vegas boys?

I know exactely what you mean. With both of my cars the very first driving was from Germany to Austria ~ round 1.000 miles. And it was fun.

The mileage might just be important if you sell the car soon. So if you are going to sell her in the next months or year you should not drive because of mileage.

If you will keep the car forever mileage doesn´t matter. But rust does. So again you should not drive her.

Leave her in Vegas, have nice dreams and wait happily for spring. Mayby you do a skidoo-race in the snow thinking about the next Shelby-Meeting in hot Las Vegas. That´s what I have to do also because here in Vienna today we had the first (little) snowing for this winter. So Shelby season will end soon (even I have to collect my Cobra without roof some 300 miles away - will be a cold trip with a new 484 horsepower engine).

Best regards to Canada

PS: Yesterday I went to a ZZ-Top Konzert. Are they Texas- or Vegas boys?

ZZ top are from Texas, and yes, there are a few skidoo's around my neck of the woods here in Canada to bide the winter months. I will indeed dream and wait for spring.

I gotta tell ya, Cobra with a 484 hp engine, in addition to your GT-H stick....................way, way too cool.

QSS

• 1 year later...

.......... so the story continues onto part 4.

If you want the whole story read the entire thread. If you want the short version, please read below.

So, my first post on October 18th, 2008 I asked if someone would sell me a 2007 GT-H 5sp.

I finally locate one after months and months of searching in May of 2009. I had found a 2007 GT-H 5 sp, #490.

Late in May of 2009 I find out that the Canadian Government WILL NOT allow these particular cars into the country (That's when I "dig in" and get ready for the big fight against "government misinformation" and say "f#ck it" and buy the car anyway with no way of legally bringing it home).

I fly to Oklahoma City and buy the car on June 2nd, 2009 and proceed to drive the car 1,111 miles from Oklahoma City to a storage place in Las Vegas (in an approximately 14 hour continuous drive, except to stop for gas and whatnot) to keep the car while I plot my strategy to bring her home. I am prepared to let this car sit for an additional 13 years in order to bring this car home (The Canadian government will allow just about any vehicle that is 15 years and older into the country with very few restrictions. This is one of those weird government loopholes that I was ready to exploit if I was unable to knock some sense into the "rule makers")

So I make about a dozen calls to various government "powers that be" as well as a few levels of Ford to try and get these cars admitted into Canada. After b!tching and complaining along with a large amount of reasoning to a whole bunch of people at various levels, my car was allowed to come into Canada on October 8th, 2009. I don't know if I was the responsible party for getting these cars into Canada but my little brain thinks that "I was the man" ;) .

So as humans tend to do, I became a little lazy and waited to bring the car home.

Well, on Friday June 17th, 2011 after a 2 year, 8 month odyssey, she was set to come home. In a bit of insanity, I decided to head down to Las Vegas and drive her home in another continuous drive (except for gas and what not) which was going to last, as near as I could figure, about 21 hours.

On June 9th, myself and my brother drove not stop down to Vegas in a 93 5.0 Mustang in which I drove the entire trip in order to test my stamina and see if I could make a non stop drive of this time and distance. I made the trip of 1365 miles in 20 hours and 15 minutes and found it almost easy. I did not get sleepy and felt great the whole trip down.

For the trip home, it was somewhat "hellish". What was the big factor in the trip home was the amount of sleep I had before I made such a stupid epic drive. On the way down I slept 6 hours before I got up at 4 a.m. in the morning, headed out at 5:00 a.m. and arrived into Vegas just after midnight (taking into account for the one hour time change).

On the trip home I was so hyped up to get going home, I had a grand total of 1 hour of sleep before heading out just after midnight on the early morning of June 17th. Yup, you read it right, ONE hour before heading out on an estimated 21 hour drive. This is not to smart a thing to do, for anyone who may be considering such a drive. Well after 4 hours of driving I started to get sleepy and quickly drank two of the large cans of Red Bull to help me along. This worked good until about hour 6 when I was driving through Salt Lake City. That's when my lack of sleep started to kick in and I knew I was in for a rough trip. I have driven through Salt Lake city a bunch of times and I realized that driving tired in 5 lanes of traffic at 75 mph was a receipt for disaster. About 1/5 of the way through Salt Lake City I hastily found a gas station to pull over in, gas up, and catch some sleep in the parking lot. I didn't see how long I slept for but I am pretty sure it was for under 5 minutes.

After I woke, I felt pretty good so off I went again. Of course about 4 hours later in "who knows where", I think it was somewhere in Idaho, the whole lack of sleep issue reared it's head and once again and I stopped for gas and some sleep. Again, I am sure it was less than 5 minutes and off I went again.

Well, at Great Fall Montana, sleep deprivation really kicked in. I really was not falling asleep at the wheel (or so I figured) but I sure was having a few other effects. These included the odd hallucination along with a spirited argument with myself about how dumb it is to drive tired. After a big slap fight with myself (in order to keep myself somewhat alert) I knew it was in trouble and it was time to b-line it to the nearest gas station for gas and some critically needed sleep. This time I am pretty sure I was out for an hour or so but I was so tired, I forgot to check the time when I pulled into the gas station. After I awoke, I felt good and off i went again.

I arrived at the US/Canada border at 7:00 p.m. after driving/sleeping for 18.5 hours. I had to do some paper work to bring the car into the country and I budgeted 1 hour to get this all done. I visited the US side of the border to export the car followed by a trip over to the Canadian side of the border to import the car into Canada. After 1 hour and 4 minutes of "silky smooth" dealings with both the US and Canadian officials (who would of thunk it :huh: ) I was on my way with only 3.5 hours left to get home.

The rest of the trip was pretty good as I was pretty excited about getting home. I even decided to celebrate with a good dinner while driving and treated my self to a pretty big bag of Reese's Peices (I did eat some "healthy" slices of pizza during the drive but I figured the sugar kick couldn't hurt at this point in the trip). There was one more can of Red Bull along with one more "slap fight" near the end of the trip to motivate myself to stay awake/alert and not blow a long trip home. I have to admit this last "slap fight" was spirited and border line vicious but it was somewhat necessary in order to achieve the goal at hand.

I arrived at 11:30 p.m. on june 17th after 23 hours of driving, sleeping, boarding crossing paperwork and only a couple of arguments/fights with myself.

In total, it took a trip of 1,111 miles (14 hours) followed by a trip of 1,365 miles (23 hours) and 30 months for a total of 2,476 miles (37 hours of drive time) to get this baby home. The car now has 4,888 miles on her and if you take away the 2,476 "transport" miles along with the original 777 miles on the odometer when I bought her, I guess I have not put too much drive time on the clock. I am NOT crazy.......... I think.

So, was it all worth it????? He!! ya!

Would I do it again???? If a car came along that set a fire in me.......... heck ya, but I'm glad it's all over now.

Until the next car passion aririves :o.

post-20749-0-03223900-1308460340_thumb.jpg

post-20749-0-94424500-1308460300_thumb.jpg

post-20749-0-94424500-1308460300_thumb.jpg

post-20749-0-03223900-1308460340_thumb.jpg

Congrats!! great story. How much TAX or costs was it to bring a car into Canada, If i might ask.

Canadian Government charges $100 fee for air conditioning + $150 to register it + 5% GST/tax on the purchase price. The Canadian government converts the purchase price from US dollars to Canadian dollars in order to determine how much GST/tax your going to pay.

When I bought the car two years ago Canadian dollar was worth 90cents against the US dollar but when I crossed the boarder a couple of days ago it was at even par with the US dollar so this worked in my favour. In the end I paid a couple thousand bucks in tax but thats ok. The car is worth it.

QSS

Archived