TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Manual 2007GT Hertz Convertible?

To my knowledge, the only person on this web site who owns one of the 18 MT cars is handle "485hp", but he's in Europe, so that one is out probably. I've never seen anybody else fess up to having one here. Since they went to Hertz execs, those folks are not usually car people and would not likely be on this site. But good luck finding one, I hope that you do.

:victory:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I take it you got one now? If you did tell us the story

Yes.....yes indeed I did get one. It took 9 months from my first post in September, but finally after much searching, finally I was successful. I will post the story in the coming week as it is a long story.

QSS

Yes.....yes indeed I did get one. It took 9 months from my first post in September, but finally after much searching, finally I was successful. I will post the story in the coming week as it is a long story.

QSS

Wow can't wait to hear that one... :happy feet:

QSS

Congratulations!!! I´m sure you will have a lot of fun with it. I can´t wait to read your story and how you like the driving with stick shift.

Actually you now force me to really write down my impressions and/or comparison between the Coupe (automatic) and the Vert (manual).

But anyway: Have fun and and enjoy her! :D

My Story..........

My story is this, I've been Mustang/Shelby looney for 25 years + and when Shelby and Ford got back together it was time to celebrate as I am sure you all did as well.

So, in 2006, the wife and I (less our kids) are in Vegas and of course Hertz is renting the new GT-H. Well I rent the GT-H for a couple of days and just fall in love with the car. The wife and I visit SAI for the first time and we renew our marriage via a 06 GT-H. Sometimes with kids and work you kinda forget each other. For a couple of days we reconnected via the GT-H (that sounds a little weird just reading it).

Back again to Vegas in 07 and once again we rent the GT-H Vert and I am still crazy about the car. I love the car but what I really want to own is a manual, but because the Hertz is an automatic (as far as I knew at the time) I start looking at a GT500, only thing was the 07 Shelby GT500's were selling for 20k over sticker and I am too damn stuborn to fork that over. I decide to let another year go by and locate a nice 08 GT500 at MSRP with the options and color that I like.

Well, after reading the forums last year, about 6 months after I bought my 08 GT500, I find out that there was indeed a manual GT-H. When I read this here on the Team Shelby forums on Sept 6/08, I posted the question about the truth of actual number of GT-H manuals that did indeed exist. I read the facts about the 4 06 manual coups and 17 07 verts. I couldn't get this car out of my head and in my subsequent posts in October of 08 I practically begged someone to call me or email me with one they might want to sell me. Well my requests and begging lead to "jack squat". Nobody called, nobody emailed. No leads at all.

I was definaltely bummed but I continued to watch alot of the cars that came up on ebay hoping for a manual but no luck. I bid on a bunch of the automatics but never too seriously. I watched every online site I knew of and every publication I had access too. Anyway in April of this year a new 07 "automatic" GT-H with 30 miles came up for sale in New Jersey on ebay and after talking to my wife and receiving "permission" I was getting real serious about this car as I was starting to loose faith in the fact that I might find a manual. It was an automatic but it was new, never rented and never abused. I was almost ready to work out something on this New Jersy car when, that very week, I happened to be scanning the classified of another Shelby site when I came across an ad that read something like "2006 GT-H coupe, automatic, now has 900 mile on it, I am a Hertz executive that bought this car new.......ect". Well I called the ad more out of curiosity than anything because if I was going to actually buy one of these, it probably would be the 30 mile automatic in New Jersey. So as I talked to the Hertz executive about his 06 coupe he said "I also have an 07 convertible with the manual transmission. I have to sell one and I would prefer to keep the coupe over the convertible, but I have to sell one". I gotta tell ya, after picking my jaw up off the floor and trying to sound reeeeeeal cooooooool, I told him that I would be more interested in a convertible, all the while trying not to scream into the phone "I'LL TAKE IT, I'LL TAKE IT!!!!!"

You have to understand the Hertz exec knew what he had and how rare a car it is so what he wanted, price wise, was no screaming deal or anything like that. A couple of days negotiation back and forth and we had narrowed the price to within a couple of thousand dollars of what each other wanted but we had not yet reached a deal. After these few days of "supercharged emotion" on my part, I finally stepped back and said to myself "are you serious, your negotiating to pay, how much, for what is essentially a 2007 Mustang GT that has had some mods put on by Shelby". My emotional right brain was now giving away to my logical left brain and the left brain was saying "you, my friend, are nuts". So the left brain took charge (damn logic) and I called the Hertz executive and told him that I had decided to back away from the deal. After making the call I was just sick about it for two days about what I had done.

During these two days I was racked with emotion and this is when I posted on this site a question asking how much everone thought the 30 mile New Jersey car was worth. I decided to talk about the New Jersey car and not about this executive manual as per the advice of Son of GT. His advice was "they would keep it a closely guarded secret until the transaction was locked down and completed; I would." Thanks for the advice Son of GT.

I wanted to hear what others thought, so, not only did I post here, I also posted at SAAC. I asked the question "You have been searching for a particular Shelby for a long while, you found that Shelby but you feel that it is over priced by 10 to 20%, what should I do?" Well, the overwhelming resonse was "do it" and "buy, drive, enjoy" and my personal favorite response by a wise Bill Collins "if you are allowing a 10 to 20% price premium to keep you from buying something that is difficult to find that you really want, then you are an idiot." It was poetry, he called me an "idiot" for not moving forward and I gotta tell ya, that is indeed how I felt about my decision to back away. The second that I read Mr. Collins response I picked the phone up, called the executive and we finalized a deal that we were both happy with.

This is not the end of the story as there is a bunch more too it, but it is late, I have too many drinks into me so I will finish it in another week or so. Besides, I don't want to bore you all.......

.....to be continued

QSS

Congratulations!!! I´m sure you will have a lot of fun with it. I can´t wait to read your story and how you like the driving with stick shift.

Actually you now force me to really write down my impressions and/or comparison between the Coupe (automatic) and the Vert (manual).

But anyway: Have fun and and enjoy her! :D

I would like to hear your impressions between the two. If you would share them, it would be appreciated.

QSS

I can not wait to hear the rest of your story, I myself have been looking for a particular GT-H vert, not a manual but the matching # to my coupe. I purchased a 2008 Shelby vert to solve the manual issue. I myself look every where every day looking for my car. Its really cool to hear how you found yours.

Congratulations! :happy feet: Great story and I can't wait to hear the rest. Good move taking Son of GT's advice on keeping it quiet. I am sure there are plenty of members, myself included, who would love to have a manual GT-H! The sister car to my GT-H is currently available and I know the owner. I'd love to buy it and swap transmissions with my red vert.

Great Story I am excited to hear the rest and don't forget any details. Yes very good choice on keeping that quite because a 10 to 20% (admin) charge is nothing now; just wait 20 years and see what the car will be worth and the amount of fun you have had with it will be priceless.

I am extremely curious at what you paid for it, I would assume $50,000 to $60,000 I am sure your not going to tell us but thats my guess.

• 2 weeks later...
My Story..........

My story is this, I've been Mustang/Shelby looney for 25 years + and when Shelby and Ford got back together it was time to celebrate as I am sure you all did as well.

So, in 2006, the wife and I (less our kids) are in Vegas and of course Hertz is renting the new GT-H. Well I rent the GT-H for a couple of days and just fall in love with the car. The wife and I visit SAI for the first time and we renew our marriage via a 06 GT-H. Sometimes with kids and work you kinda forget each other. For a couple of days we reconnected via the GT-H (that sounds a little weird just reading it).

Back again to Vegas in 07 and once again we rent the GT-H Vert and I am still crazy about the car. I love the car but what I really want to own is a manual, but because the Hertz is an automatic (as far as I knew at the time) I start looking at a GT500, only thing was the 07 Shelby GT500's were selling for 20k over sticker and I am too damn stuborn to fork that over. I decide to let another year go by and locate a nice 08 GT500 at MSRP with the options and color that I like.

Well, after reading the forums last year, about 6 months after I bought my 08 GT500, I find out that there was indeed a manual GT-H. When I read this here on the Team Shelby forums on Sept 6/08, I posted the question about the truth of actual number of GT-H manuals that did indeed exist. I read the facts about the 4 06 manual coups and 17 07 verts. I couldn't get this car out of my head and in my subsequent posts in October of 08 I practically begged someone to call me or email me with one they might want to sell me. Well my requests and begging lead to "jack squat". Nobody called, nobody emailed. No leads at all.

I was definaltely bummed but I continued to watch alot of the cars that came up on ebay hoping for a manual but no luck. I bid on a bunch of the automatics but never too seriously. I watched every online site I knew of and every publication I had access too. Anyway in April of this year a new 07 "automatic" GT-H with 30 miles came up for sale in New Jersey on ebay and after talking to my wife and receiving "permission" I was getting real serious about this car as I was starting to loose faith in the fact that I might find a manual. It was an automatic but it was new, never rented and never abused. I was almost ready to work out something on this New Jersy car when, that very week, I happened to be scanning the classified of another Shelby site when I came across an ad that read something like "2006 GT-H coupe, automatic, now has 900 mile on it, I am a Hertz executive that bought this car new.......ect". Well I called the ad more out of curiosity than anything because if I was going to actually buy one of these, it probably would be the 30 mile automatic in New Jersey. So as I talked to the Hertz executive about his 06 coupe he said "I also have an 07 convertible with the manual transmission. I have to sell one and I would prefer to keep the coupe over the convertible, but I have to sell one". I gotta tell ya, after picking my jaw up off the floor and trying to sound reeeeeeal cooooooool, I told him that I would be more interested in a convertible, all the while trying not to scream into the phone "I'LL TAKE IT, I'LL TAKE IT!!!!!"

You have to understand the Hertz exec knew what he had and how rare a car it is so what he wanted, price wise, was no screaming deal or anything like that. A couple of days negotiation back and forth and we had narrowed the price to within a couple of thousand dollars of what each other wanted but we had not yet reached a deal. After these few days of "supercharged emotion" on my part, I finally stepped back and said to myself "are you serious, your negotiating to pay, how much, for what is essentially a 2007 Mustang GT that has had some mods put on by Shelby". My emotional right brain was now giving away to my logical left brain and the left brain was saying "you, my friend, are nuts". So the left brain took charge (damn logic) and I called the Hertz executive and told him that I had decided to back away from the deal. After making the call I was just sick about it for two days about what I had done.

During these two days I was racked with emotion and this is when I posted on this site a question asking how much everone thought the 30 mile New Jersey car was worth. I decided to talk about the New Jersey car and not about this executive manual as per the advice of Son of GT. His advice was "they would keep it a closely guarded secret until the transaction was locked down and completed; I would." Thanks for the advice Son of GT.

I wanted to hear what others thought, so, not only did I post here, I also posted at SAAC. I asked the question "You have been searching for a particular Shelby for a long while, you found that Shelby but you feel that it is over priced by 10 to 20%, what should I do?" Well, the overwhelming resonse was "do it" and "buy, drive, enjoy" and my personal favorite response by a wise Bill Collins "if you are allowing a 10 to 20% price premium to keep you from buying something that is difficult to find that you really want, then you are an idiot." It was poetry, he called me an "idiot" for not moving forward and I gotta tell ya, that is indeed how I felt about my decision to back away. The second that I read Mr. Collins response I picked the phone up, called the executive and we finalized a deal that we were both happy with.

This is not the end of the story as there is a bunch more too it, but it is late, I have too many drinks into me so I will finish it in another week or so. Besides, I don't want to bore you all.......

.....to be continued

QSS

Congratulations and enjoy your GT-H convertible MANUAL shift.

How awesome is it own 1 of 18 cars made!!! You have a "piece of history"

A collectors dream come true. A price cannot be put on a treasure like this.

The price you paid is an absolute bargain, a steal. You are fortunate.

Enjoy!!!

Alright..........Part 2

So, as I mentioned in my last post, because I thought the GT-H only came in an automatic I bought a 08 GT500 in March, 2008. At the time, when I bought the 08 GT500, ADM's were fianally starting to ease off and I found a MSRP car out of Colorado. You see I live in Alberta, Canada and the dealers up here were still asking 20k over MSRP, and getting it. I knew my #'s and found what I wanted out of Colorado and went ahead, bought the car and arranged shipping to me Alberta. I checked all the export/import details (everything was A-OK), called a car shipping company and, voila, 4 weeks later I had a beast of a car at far, far less than what I could get locally (God bless Capitalism). You will understand the significance of this part of the story shortly.

Fast forward to to mid May when the deal was finally completed via a phone call. I had found a dream, I found my 07 GT-H manual. You see, this was not an undriven wrapper car, this particular car had 777 miles when I actually picked her up. I had been looking for "this" particular car and by that I mean I did not want the virgin car with 10 or 12 miles on the odometer because I would feel guilty about driving her. The car I wanted to buy was going to be for driving and not for the museum. I had found it, the perfect blend, low miles, never rented, never abused, but with some experience, ohhhhhh baby.

So, after making the deal I immediately wired $500 in escrow to the Hertz executive. Part of the deal was that I had till the end of June to pick her up as the distance to the owners location (Oklahoma) was a fair distance from my location so I felt I needed a little extra time to arrange pickup.

THIS IS WHEN THE "WILD" CURVE BALL HITS ME RIGHT IN THE HEAD.

After completing the deal over the phone I celebrate the next day and start making my preparations to bring her home. I go online and check the details of exporting a car from the US and figured this was all going to be like a year ago when I bought my GT500 in March of 2008 out of Colorado and had her shipped to me here in Canada. All the details to export a car out of the US were the same with nothing important to note. I then check the details of importing a car into Canada fully expecting nothing new. Same as it was when I bought my GT500 EXCEPT ONE DETAIL. That one detail is that "All Ford Mustang "Shelby" Models, 1994 to 2009 (except the 2009 and 2010 GT500KR) are none admissable into Canada." Thats right, even though there is no such thing as a 2010 GT500KR, it is, along with the 2009 GT500KR, the only Shelby's built in the last 15 years that are admissable into Canada. Don't ask me to explain this cause "Lucy, you got some 'splanin' to do" and if you want to see what Lucy has to say check out this Government of Canada link, scroll down to page 9 and read the subsection under "Ford" http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicle.../list/vafus.pdf

WELL, after I read this I just SH!T!!!!!!! I mean, I really freak out. What insanity is Lucy/my government up too. Here we have a Shelby fanatic who is not only supporting the North American Car market but also living and breathing the Shelby legacy, yet the government is pulling this on me?????? NOW?????? I would love to fill you in on the details of all my phone calls regarding this and the conversations, but that is a huge post for another time.

Crap, I just committed to a car that was just banned, by my government, only a month or so earlier. What to do, what to do. So, I just spent 1/2 a year looking for a particularly rare car, a couple of days of nerve racking negotiations, made a deal and now this!! There is an old saying that "forbidden fruit is the sweetest". Yeah.....forbidden fruit!!!!! Am I going to let this all go because of a newly enacted "crazed Government Law???????". NOT A CHANCE, NOT A FREAKIN CHANCE!!!!!! I wanted this girl more than ever, no way I'm letting here go now, no dang way. Come hell or high water, I am buying this car (of course the left brain is screaming "damit.....have you lost your mind!!??").

Man oh man, my stress level is now through the roof. So, I have decided to go ahead with the deal, but now I can't get her home, so what to do???? As I continue with my purchase plans, I continue to communicate my timing with the current owner. I actually tell him about the trouble that my geovernment is causing me. This was an error on my part. After telling the owner about the "snag" he tells me that "there are two other parties that want to make a deal on the car" and " if I want to back out, I have another back up offer for slightly more than you have offered". STRESS LEVEL - CODE RED!!!!!!! When I told the current owner my dificulties, I guess he got a little nervous that I would back out. After all I had backed away once already, he must of figured I may do it again and with the trouble that I am having, he may loose out on a solid back up offer that he had in hand. What he did not know is that once I make a deal, verbal or otherwise, it is done in my books. I don't blame him for being nervous and after a reassuring phone call along with a reassuring email things looked solid but I had to kick my plans into high gear. (Bought a car, can't bring her home, my plans are.......I HAVE NO PLANS).

I tell the owner I will be down within the week to pick up the car. I am not even going to bother with trying to arrange a car carrier to pick up the car at this time as time is of the essence. I told him that I will send him my flight bookings the next day in order too put him at ease. I gotta tell you, this Hertz Executive was a real first class act. We had made the deal on this car, agreed to the price and he stuck with it. Even though he now had an offer for what he stated as "slightly more" he stuck too our verbal/email deal. I really love doing business with people of real high quality like this. From my experience, once something has sold, everone says "dang, I should have bought that." I know I have done that a ton of times myself so it did not surprise me that there was now a lineup to buy this car. I just knew that I had to complete the deal and I mean QUICKLY!

So, the next day I book my flight to Oklahaoma via Colorado as there is no direct flights available (how interesting, I get to travel through the state that I bought my last Shelby on the way to my next Shelby). I let the owner know that my flight is booked and I am on my way within a few days. He's happy, I'm happy/horrified and the ball is rolling.

Now I get ready for 10 hours of travel to Oklahoma to pick up a car with no way to bring her home, no plan on what to do with it, and 4 days to come up a brilliant brainstrom on what to do. Yes, what to do, what to do.........

Once again, this is not the end of the story as there is a bunch more too it, but it is late, I have too many drinks into me so I will finish it in another week or so. Besides, I don't want to bore you all.......

.....to be continued

QSS

WOW! I really want to hear the rest of this story!! If you are still trying to get your GT-H into Canada, the GT-H's are titled as Mustang GT's, NOT Shelby's. They were converted POST title to GT-H's. Also, the engine mods are easy to revert back to stock and your computer could be flashed back to stock. The Shelby badging could be removed and reinstalled later. Then you just have a Black GT convertible with gold stripes on it.....

WOW! I really want to hear the rest of this story!! If you are still trying to get your GT-H into Canada, the GT-H's are titled as Mustang GT's, NOT Shelby's. They were converted POST title to GT-H's. Also, the engine mods are easy to revert back to stock and your computer could be flashed back to stock. The Shelby badging could be removed and reinstalled later. Then you just have a Black GT convertible with gold stripes on it.....

I've been thinking of this option, but i'm not ready to move that direction. I really want to drive her across the border legitimately with a smile on my face and a song in my throat saying "check it out, look what I got, I know you all have no idea what I got, but trust me, it sure is sweet!!!!! Long live shelby"

QSS

a best offer @ $40k won so i guess that is what a new 2007 shelby convt. is worth. only what someone is willing to pay.

Just found this post.

Very strange as I made an offer of USD 45000,- some time ago. Well, I guess that is the sellers decision :banghead: :fool:

Just found this post.

Very strange as I made an offer of USD 45000,- some time ago. Well, I guess that is the sellers decision :banghead: :fool:

I spoke to this seller a couple of times about this NJ Hertz car while I was in the market. What happened in this auction is he had listed it a couple of times as a regular auction but it never met reserve. He then listed it with a Buy-It -Now price of $55,000. The first time he set up the Buy-It-Now auction, he did not understand some of the auction options that were available to him, so, he chose to accept offers over $40,000. He thought he was accepting offers over $40,000 so he could "review" these offers. The auction was actually set up so offers over $40,000 were automatically accepted and this is what happened. Someone offered $40,000 and his auction automatically accepted it.

A few days after it looked like the car sold for $40,000 he relisted it again with a Buy-It-Now of $55k. That is when I called him and asked him what the deal was. He told me he didn't relaize what ebay was doing when he listed the auction and that there was no way he was selling for $40k. He told me he would sell it for $50k. He went on to tell me that whoever submitted the $40k offer would not be getting the car for that price due the misunderstanding he had with ebay auctions.

So when he relisted and you offered $45k, it was probably below his $50k minimum and therefore he did not sell to you.

I am not too sure what happened with this car, but that is the scoop.

QSS

Good Luck, hopefully the RIV has a way to let her into Canada!

I met a great couple at Grabberfest from Victoria BC that both worked for the Canada federal DMV at an awfully high level of some sort.

I can't remember their names, but I'm sure someone here knows who I'm talking about. I dunno, maybe they could be of some help? Or maybe be able to lend some advice, as they ought to be at least familiar with this bizarre law!? Just a thought. Great story, good luck.

Ken

I met a great couple at Grabberfest from Victoria BC that both worked for the Canada federal DMV at an awfully high level of some sort.

I can't remember their names, but I'm sure someone here knows who I'm talking about. I dunno, maybe they could be of some help? Or maybe be able to lend some advice, as they ought to be at least familiar with this bizarre law!? Just a thought. Great story, good luck.

Ken

Bizzare law is an understatement. If anyone knows their names and could pass it on to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Qss

• 2 weeks later...

......so the story continues onto part 3.

After making the deal on this car and booking my flight, I had to come up with a bright idea on what to do with the car. I thought "if your gonna keep it in the States, where's the best place to I keep it". Well, I thought, I should keep it in a place I can get to easily, in a place I like to go too, in a place where I can drive her when I am in town. I decided to keep her in my favorite place in the whole world when I am away from my beloved home.....VEGAS. Yup, it somehow seamed like the place to take her, back to her birthplace, the city I can get to easily from my home in Alberta with direct flights every day via 4 major air carriers, it seamed like it would work out real purdy like. So, the plan is, buy car, pick up car in Oklahoma City, dirve car to Vegas, keep car in Vegas and sort out the details later and by later it could mean next month, next year or next decade depending on the border issue but I'll explain more on that later.

With my plans set I get all the final details sorted out including hotel, title search, funds sent, before I head for Oklahoma City. I arrive on Monday, June 1st, with arrangements to hook up with the owner Tuesday morning. I am dead tired after 12 hours of travel including a 1 1/2 hour delay out of Colorado due to bad weather AND mechanical problems all the while being strapped into my seat on a plane and no strong alcoholic drinks to be had anywhere. Sitting on a sold out stuffy plane, I can only ponder that this may be my penance for getting a cool car. Finally, I make it to my hotel in Oklahoma City just shy of midnight.

Tuesday morning arrives and I am up, tired but excited to finally get my baby and get some driving time. I meet up with the Hertz Executive at 7:00 a.m. and we head to the storage area where the car is kept along with his 06 GT-H auto. Since the beginning of the trip I had been making a video documentry of all this so I took a little time to get some footage as the car was rolled out of the storage bay. It's real exciting to see your new ride for the first time and both the 07 and 06 are nicely stored and in pristine shape. The Hertz guy and I jump into the 07 and for the last time, he drives, and we head over to the local DMV to notearize the title, the bill of sale and it's all official. He hands me both sets of keys, all the documents from Hertz and Shelby, the original window sticker, along with the bill for the oil change he had already done and even the gas bills for the car. He hadn't even unpacked the convertible boot cover and the floor mats were replaced with aftermarket mats with the originals in the trunk. Good stuff indeed. It was a pleasure to meet the Hertz Executive, do business with him and the car was all I had hoped for and in perfect shape. I drove her back to the storage to drop off the Hertz Executive, we shook hands and I was on my way. :shift:

First thing I have to do on my trip to Vegas is stop at the City of Mustang, Oklahoma and visit Steve who is an apprasier as well as a member of the Oklahoma Mustang Club. It definately seams appropriate to stop at the City of Mustang in my new ride. I had to get the car appriased prior to me heading out to Vegas otherwise my insurance company would not cover me for full value in case of a loss. So, some more good video shots in front of the City of Mustang water tower, a great meeting with Steve in which I saw his real beautiful 65 Convertible along with his massive collection on mustang STUFF in his office. This was very cool and Steve and his wife were just great to me in the short time we were together. Steve even took me on a quick tour of the City of Mustang. Thanks Steve.

So, off I go to Vegas leaving Mustang, Oklahoma at high noon on the button. According to GOOGLE maps, it is 1,119 miles through 5 states and should take 16 hours and 11 minutes. Hmmmmm I wondered if I could shave a couple hours off that time? Yes, I had decided to drive straight through and I'm gonna take my newly purchased GT-H with only 777 milers on her and rack up an additional 1100 or so miles in one day. This is definately nutty and I know it.

Nutty indeed, but my plan has always been to make this car a driver and not a garage queen although if she has to sit for 13 more years to get it across the border, she will indeed still be a garage queen. My worst case scenario is that this car stays in Vegas for 13 years because after 15 years there is no restrictions on bringing vehichles into Canada and that would make this 2007 GT-H ready for import into Canada in 2022 with no restrictions. I am a patient/subborn/crazed person and I WILL DO THIS, if only to defeat a ridiculous government rule. You see, according to "the Government of Canada" they do not want any vehichles uncertified to Canadian safety standards coming into the country and since Shelby Automobiles Inc will not go through the certification process on all cars modded by them, they can not come in. After 15 years anything goes at the border. After at least a couple dozen calls in the last month to Ford Canada, and various levels of the Government of Canada I was able to get the Government to change their policy and web site to allow all 2007 to 2010 GT500's across the border. Yeah!!!!!! These changes are a small victory for me and all Shelby lovers up here in Canada.

Also the 2009 GT500KR is the ony SAI modded car allowed and reason is "it has been certified by both Ford and SAI" according to my government. Check out the web site and scroll down to page 9, under Ford.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicle.../list/vafus.pdf

Two weeks ago they allowed the 2010 GT500KR across as well but of course THERE IS NO DAMN THING!!!! They have now changed their policy and web site to "officillay" not allow the 2010 GT500KR into Canada. The efficiency and logic of government is a beautiful thing.

This is all so mind boggling as I brought my 68 GT500 into the country 5 years ago with no problems. Think about how safe a 2007 GT-H is compared to 40 year old technology of a 68 GT500!!!!! What is also mind blowing is why there is no mention by my government concerning Roush Mustangs, Saleen Mustnags, SMS Mustangs ect, ect...... AMY, are you reading this? Why is our beloved Shelby singled out at the Canadian border!!????? Get on the phone and bust some heads girl.....I mean please.I could rant on and on but lets get back to topic.

So off I go, stopping only for gas when necessary and to throw quality gas station food down my throat. Yum, Yum. I try and get behind any rabbit who is speeding and tail them in order to try and avoid any run ins with state troopers in my new unregistered car with a Alberta liscence plate that is registered to my truck back home and a fax copy of my insurance. That all don't look to fishy right?

While driving through Oklahoma, New Mexico and Texas I do not see one single trooper and I think "wow, drivers down here have it real good, you can really fly on these big stretches of interstate highways". THEN, I get to Arizona and "holly Black and Whites Batman, these cops are everywhere". There must been 20 of em in about a 70 mile stretch, yikes. I slow down to exactly the speed limit before stopping in Flagstaff, once again for gas and to ask the gas station dude "am I going the right way to get to Vegas?". After about 13 hours of driving I was getting a little punchy in the head so I just wanted to make sure my map reading skills were still functioning.

I was doing real well and not too tired (thanks Red Bull) when I crossed in to Nevada, getting closer to Vegas, sweet, sweet Vegas. Right around 3:30 a.m. I cross over Hover Dam and I gotta tell ya, If you ever want to see Hover Dam, I recommend doing it at 3:30 a.m. Other than the security checks I was the only one there. I came out last year to see the dam during the day but at 3:30 a.m. there were no crowds, no traffic jams, no 130F mid day heat and the dam along with the new bridge are lite up like a big Christmas tree on super, mega growth hormones. It was peaceful and truely amazing!!! A couple more twists and turns and over the last hill and there lies Vegas, directly ahead with all the glory and twinkling lights of the City that never sleeps, although after 16 hours (Google maps is right on in their time estimates) I was definately ready for sleep. It was a beautiful thing.

It took me another hour to get to my final destination in Vegas and my head finally hit the bed at 4:30 a.m. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So that's it. I have the car, she is tucked safely away in Vegas and now I wait. Hmmmm, will it be one month, one year or the dreaded 13 years before I can bring her home to me in Canada???? Don't know. One thing I know is that this has been a heck of an adventure and it will continue until I can bring her home and as crazy as all this sounds, she will come home one day damit!

The other thing I know is I have to go to Vegas regularly to make sure that she ocasionally gets started, driven a little and taken care of. Come to think of it, this little problem of mine dosen't sound so bad now does it??? :rolleyes:

Hopfully Part 4 in less than 13 f@#%ing years.........

QSS

I'm no expert but I swear I've seen other GT-Hs in Canada, maybe there is a loop hole in there somewhere, I have to live 15 minutes away from my GT-H and that kills me, good luck on getting her home, I'm going to Vegas in Oct. I'll be glad to check on her for you.

This silly ban on Shelby's only came into effect a short while ago, maybe two to three months ago with vague explinations as to why. Any GT-H in Canada was brought into the cuntry prior to the ban on these cars. And, this ban is also on the Shelby GT, Shelby Terlingua, and according to my Government, any car modified by Shelby so that includes the SS and the 6 new packages supplied by Shelby. I guess no SS for me now. What is sooooooooooooo stupid is that I can bring in a Ferrari (any model) or Lamborghini (any model since 1999) or virtually any Porshche because they all conform to USA specifications.

How is it possible that a Shelby GT-H does not conform to US safety standards??????? How can a car that is built for general public use in the rental pool with 320 horse power MORE dangerous that a Ferrari Enzo with 660 horsepower, can go 0 to 100 miles per hour in 6.6 seconds with a top speed of 217 miles per hour????????? God forbid I should get out on the road with my GT-H and cause a hazard to the Enzo. The only hazard I may cause is when the Enzo is roaring up behind me at Mach 1, I may be in the way!!!!!!!!

Glad to see that people like me have a hard time supporting the North American Economy but, HEY YOU WANNA SHIP YOUR MONEY TO EUROPEAN CAR MAKERS, GO RIGHT AHEAD, BUY THEIR CARS BUILT BY THEIR PEOPLE AND BRING EM HERE. THATS OK BY US CANADIAN GOVERNMENT FOLKS. YES, THATS RIGHT, THE SAME FOLKS WHO HELPED BAIL OUT GM AND CHRYSLER FOR BILLIONS AND ASK FOR YOUR SUPPORT BY BUYING NORTH AMERICAN, YET MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SUPPORT THE NORTH AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS!!!!! The European super cars are amazing cars and I think I would buy one but I have always been a Ford guy and proud supporter of these North American products. Maybe I should just go out and by a Miata like Capt.Dave. No problem importing that car into Canada, no sir ee, that car is juuuuuuussst fine.

Monday's suck and so does this insane policy!!!!!!!

QSS

If anyone else is interested, I have a Manual Transmission 2007 GT-H Convertible that is for sale. I am the original owner, it has never been rented, and has been kept under a cover in my garage. I have put less than 500 miles on her, just to keep her warm; she is as pristine as they come. I am I willing to sell it if the price is right. Please, serious inquiries only. PM me for details and pictures.

• 4 weeks later...
This silly ban on Shelby's only came into effect a short while ago, maybe two to three months ago with vague explinations as to why. Any GT-H in Canada was brought into the cuntry prior to the ban on these cars. And, this ban is also on the Shelby GT, Shelby Terlingua, and according to my Government, any car modified by Shelby so that includes the SS and the 6 new packages supplied by Shelby. I guess no SS for me now. What is sooooooooooooo stupid is that I can bring in a Ferrari (any model) or Lamborghini (any model since 1999) or virtually any Porshche because they all conform to USA specifications.

How is it possible that a Shelby GT-H does not conform to US safety standards??????? How can a car that is built for general public use in the rental pool with 320 horse power MORE dangerous that a Ferrari Enzo with 660 horsepower, can go 0 to 100 miles per hour in 6.6 seconds with a top speed of 217 miles per hour????????? God forbid I should get out on the road with my GT-H and cause a hazard to the Enzo. The only hazard I may cause is when the Enzo is roaring up behind me at Mach 1, I may be in the way!!!!!!!!

Glad to see that people like me have a hard time supporting the North American Economy but, HEY YOU WANNA SHIP YOUR MONEY TO EUROPEAN CAR MAKERS, GO RIGHT AHEAD, BUY THEIR CARS BUILT BY THEIR PEOPLE AND BRING EM HERE. THATS OK BY US CANADIAN GOVERNMENT FOLKS. YES, THATS RIGHT, THE SAME FOLKS WHO HELPED BAIL OUT GM AND CHRYSLER FOR BILLIONS AND ASK FOR YOUR SUPPORT BY BUYING NORTH AMERICAN, YET MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SUPPORT THE NORTH AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS!!!!! The European super cars are amazing cars and I think I would buy one but I have always been a Ford guy and proud supporter of these North American products. Maybe I should just go out and by a Miata like Capt.Dave. No problem importing that car into Canada, no sir ee, that car is juuuuuuussst fine.

Monday's suck and so does this insane policy!!!!!!!

QSS

Hi i.ve done some reseach on this as well ,talked to the big wigs at transport canada,ford canada. ford usa and shelby.The bottom line is shelby has not certfied the vihicle for importation to canada.Changes on the riv list happen often so keep your fingers crossed.Please give us aupdate on whats happening

Hi i.ve done some reseach on this as well ,talked to the big wigs at transport canada,ford canada. ford usa and shelby.The bottom line is shelby has not certfied the vihicle for importation to canada.Changes on the riv list happen often so keep your fingers crossed.Please give us aupdate on whats happening

Fingers are crossed, toes are crossed, tongue is curled. As for an update, spent a great week in vegas driving around with the family in the baby.

QSS

Archived