TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buying a shelby

bazie

Okay I am a total newbie here, and just learning about these cars. My husband wants to get a supersnake and after researching here, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to get a supersnake (besides buying a used one) is to buy a GT500 then send it to selby to get modified. Is this all right?

We want this car for fun, but also for an investment, this is why im trying to learn about them. So after browsing around I found this car. Would this be a good car to change into a supersake? How much would it be worth after? I know it costs about 30k to get it modified. What about the KRs? Is it the same with them too? What is the 40 anniversay edition? Are they the shelbys only made in 2008? And one more question if the car is advertised as an 08 ford mustang its just a mustang not a shelby right?

Thanks for your help, this is so confusing!!

Heres a link to the car.........tell me what you think.

Mustang

Okay I am a total newbie here, and just learning about these cars. My husband wants to get a supersnake and after researching here, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to get a supersnake (besides buying a used one) is to buy a GT500 then send it to selby to get modified. Is this all right?

We want this car for fun, but also for an investment, this is why im trying to learn about them. So after browsing around I found this car. Would this be a good car to change into a supersake? How much would it be worth after? I know it costs about 30k to get it modified. What about the KRs? Is it the same with them too? What is the 40 anniversay edition? Are they the shelbys only made in 2008? And one more question if the car is advertised as an 08 ford mustang its just a mustang not a shelby right?

Mustang

I can't answer all your questions now in detail, but there's lots of info on this forum on the both the 40th Anniversary and the Supersnake. Whether it's a good investment, only time will tell.

Last things first: if it says '08 Mustang, it's probably not a Shelby.

Only the GT500's (not the regular Mustangs) can be converted into SuperSnakes. You need to own it first, then contact Shelby Autos to get an SS number. They may or may not take a deposit, but not likely yet. Based on the order of your deposit date, SAI will call you to deliver your car to them, then they'll convert it.

Right at the top of this page, are contacts from Shelby and their other mod shops. You might consider Rhode Island, it's closer than Vegas.

Ditto for the 40th, except it has to be a 2007 GT500. If you add all the upgrade options, it will cost almost, but not quite, as much as a SuperSnake.

KR's are ordered from Ford dealers directly. Expect a large markup over MSRP.

Keep looking through the forum, lots of info, and there's also dealers that can help you find a car, plus used ones. There's some good deals on used GT500's.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Thanks for your answers every little bit helps. So if it says 08 ford mustang shelby it might not be a shelby? Ive seen some cars that say GT500 and some that say shelby. But arnt all GT500s shelbys?

Im just thinking mathematicly Im looking at 50000 for a GT500 then about 30k to make it a supersnake. So a total of about 80k. All supersnakes that ive seen are at least 120k.

So if i want to make a ss all i need is an 08 or 09 GT500? does it matter if it says shelby?

Thanks for your answers every little bit helps. So if it says 08 ford mustang shelby it might not be a shelby? Ive seen some cars that say GT500 and some that say shelby. But arnt all GT500s shelbys?

Im just thinking mathematicly Im looking at 50000 for a GT500 then about 30k to make it a supersnake. So a total of about 80k. All supersnakes that ive seen are at least 120k.

So if i want to make a ss all i need is an 08 or 09 GT500? does it matter if it says shelby?

Yes GT500's are Shelby's.

All GT500's say SHELBY on the back. All Shelby GT's Say SHELBY on the back. The Shelby GT has a certified dash plaque on the dash to prove it was up fitted at the Shelby plant in LV called SAI. The GT500's don't have a plaque from the Ford factory, but you can order one later from SAI. The GT500 Shelby is a Ford factory built Shelby. The Shelby GT started off as a MUstang, and then gets sent to SAI by Ford to be converted to a Shelby. The Shelby GT has a 4.6 V8 motor. The GT500 has a 5.4 super charged motor. They are both fast and have there own different benefits. For example the Shelby GT is lighter and corners real nice. The GT500 is heavier, but is a rocket ship.

Okay i think i need to read up alot more....... The super snakes just seemed like a great investment. I thought that they appreciated? They are really rare. I think i got confused with the KRs they seem to go for 110 to 115k for some reason i thought the ss went for that too.

Okay i think i need to read up alot more....... The super snakes just seemed like a great investment. I thought that they appreciated? They are really rare. I think i got confused with the KRs they seem to go for 110 to 115k for some reason i thought the ss went for that too.

Bazie,

The best advice that I can give you, if you are going to buy a GT500, is to buy one that is produced anytime after the second week of August 2008 (So I suggest you buy a 2009). This way you will not have to deal with the potential clutch, Flywheel, and tranny problem that have affected, or will affect *most* of the GT500s built. Ford has issued a TSB to repair the cars that have this problem.

Just trying to save you a head ache.

let's make this easy as possible

the car is awesome

i researched a lot and this is as good a car as you will buy and possibly have a good return on investment

you want the supersnake

buy a 2007 GT500 new if you can, you can have it be a 40th anniversary SuperSnake

or buy a new 2008 GT500

if you want a convertible - get one - 605HP warrantied

if you want a hard top - you can get the 605HP Package under warranty or a 725 HP not warrantied by Ford.

You and your husband will love it - have fun - drive it - hopefully it will appreciate - my guess is it will

I have a 2007 SuperSnake and love it

Click on one of the contact names and figure out where you can get the car conversioin the quickest

don't know if they are doing 2009 supersnakes but the people above will help you

I know the word Mustang does not appear anywhere on the car or in the literature in the glove box but the car does come from a Mustang. Interestingly, both the Shelby GT and Shelby GT 500 neither have the word Cobra on the car or in the literature either but the GT 500 has cobra emblems from the factory while they are add ons for the Shelby GT. The original Shelby GTs (350 and 500) were referred to as Shelby Mustangs, Shelby GTs, and Shelby Cobras in the literature, television commercials and print ads. The modern GT 500 40th Anniversary, the GT 500 Super Snake and the GT 500 KR come with CSM "Carroll Shelby Mustang" numbers.

edit - back to topic - That price seems high for a coupe. You should be able to get one for MSRP these days. Congratulations on your decision to purchase a GT 500 and Super Snake conversion. Good luck to you both and welcome to Team Shelby.

I bought a 08 GT500 and, once I had the VIN, signed up for the SS package. As I understand it, 40th production is a fixed number (because only 07's can be made into the Anniversary car). I believe there will only be one year of KR production, or is it just 1,000 cars per year? The GT500's can be made into SS as long as they are made, so that would be up to 1,000 SS per model year. There have been posts on the Forum of GT500's, unprepped by a dealer, being converted to SS and then whisked away to sit in a garage. That is an investment.

Super Snakes may not be an investment unless you go to extremes like mentioned above. The GT500's are a blast to drive, unequaled for the money (imho) and, based on the reports from SS owners, doubly true for the SS.

Welcome to the forum. I would budget slightly more for a SS. 30K plus upgrades, plus US tax, plus shipping, plus shipping of parts if you want them back, plus taxes back into Canada ( I see your from Ontario). I would budget more like 40K, if it comes in less great.

Al

Welcome to the forum. I would budget slightly more for a SS. 30K plus upgrades, plus US tax, plus shipping, plus shipping of parts if you want them back, plus taxes back into Canada ( I see your from Ontario). I would budget more like 40K, if it comes in less great.

Al

One more things. It is a long wait to get one, but it is worth it. :happy feet:

Al

Mustang

this is a GT500, when you are looking for a GT500 the vin numbers for a coupe have T88 in it and the vert has T89 in the sequence, always, that way you can weed out the non Gt500's

and welcome to the board :happy feet:

Archived