TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car & Driver

gt5001

Well, the comment about power loss is true.

Why the power loss? Heat

Look at most everyones dyno sheets that had their GT500's dyno tested.

Some blower cars are known for excessive heat, and can be fixed with a larger heat exchanger which should have been place on the GT500 from production. Ford knows this, but the matter of keeping cost down was an issue when deciding on production.

With that said, Ford should offer a larger heat exchanger through their Ford Performance Parts or some of the major aftermarket builders/tuners will do this after encountering the heat issues that are present with the GT500's.

Besides magazine test are more looking for cons than pros. and such issues should be made public to the consumer and will come by way of magazines.

Most gear heads already know the upcoming issues and what could be better on most production performance cars that are equipped with power adders such as blowers and turbo's.

I myself have already had several parts pointed out to me on the GT500 that limits and hurts it's performance and it just isn't dealing with egine heat.

In the end, more negative will be displayed in magazines and individuals about the GT500 because it is a Ford Mustang with 500 hp and has a name like Shelby placed on it.

Why the power loss? Heat

Here's what I read in the article:

Thinking that the 95-degree heat had sapped its energy, we gave the Shelby another shot later in the day, but the power loss felt even more pronounced, and its laps slowed. Ford says a pair of ignition coils and spark plugs soured.

C&D is going to retest it later.

"Ford says a pair of ignition coils and spark plugs soured."

Mustang Joe, then if this is the case a GT500 recall is in order due to most everyone that has dynod the car saw hp decrease with each pass.

Without Ford knowing hp figures getting lower every pass rather it be on the dyno or at the track, And then again they may know, then that could be an assumption on thier part of a pair of ignition coils and spark plugs soured on the car tested by Car & Driver mag.

The car is bound to have some bugs pop up as cars get tested and driven more often.

• 1 month later...

Well, the comment about power loss is true.

Why the power loss? Heat

Look at most everyones dyno sheets that had their GT500's dyno tested.

Some blower cars are known for excessive heat, and can be fixed with a larger heat exchanger which should have been place on the GT500 from production. Ford knows this, but the matter of keeping cost down was an issue when deciding on production.

With that said, Ford should offer a larger heat exchanger through their Ford Performance Parts or some of the major aftermarket builders/tuners will do this after encountering the heat issues that are present with the GT500's.

Besides magazine test are more looking for cons than pros. and such issues should be made public to the consumer and will come by way of magazines.

Most gear heads already know the upcoming issues and what could be better on most production performance cars that are equipped with power adders such as blowers and turbo's.

I myself have already had several parts pointed out to me on the GT500 that limits and hurts it's performance and it just isn't dealing with egine heat.

In the end, more negative will be displayed in magazines and individuals about the GT500 because it is a Ford Mustang with 500 hp and has a name like Shelby placed on it.

Is there a larger heat exchanger out there yet?

I really noticed how hot it ran in at around 50deg outside temp. but my guage read right where it should be. Still scratching my head over this one as how can the exterior of the motor show so much heat but not the inside ?

Even at 50deg. ambient temp. the heat extractors are extracting heat like an 100deg. summer day - Whats gonna happen in the summer ? Are you guys down south (those of you that run your car HARD) in the warmer climates finding any problems ?

Excuse my ignorance - Not a real gearhead with modern supercharger tech.

I know my Z28 used to run like shit in hot weather. Very hot and pinging. But abiet its a Chev. :hysterical:

Thoughts ??? Anyone

I really noticed how hot it ran in at around 50deg outside temp. but my guage read right where it should be. Still scratching my head over this one as how can the exterior of the motor show so much heat but not the inside ?

Even at 50deg. ambient temp. the heat extractors are extracting heat like an 100deg. summer day - Whats gonna happen in the summer ? Are you guys down south (those of you that run your car HARD) in the warmer climates finding any problems ?

Excuse my ignorance - Not a real gearhead with modern supercharger tech.

I know my Z28 used to run like shit in hot weather. Very hot and pinging. But abiet its a Chev. :hysterical:

Thoughts ??? Anyone

My car started running rough (erratic idle also) at 375mi and always had a really hot engine. Turns out I had a bad coil. Luckily I only drove the car a few miles with it running rough. It seems to be running much cooler now that the bad coil is gone but then again South Tejas has really cooled off also. I'm curious how many GT500s might have this problem, but haven't had a total failure of the coil yet? I few people have told me that the Navigator and Expedition have had a similar issue.

Thoughts?

Jason

My car started running rough (erratic idle also) at 375mi and always had a really hot engine. Turns out I had a bad coil. Luckily I only drove the car a few miles with it running rough. It seems to be running much cooler now that the bad coil is gone but then again South Tejas has really cooled off also. I'm curious how many GT500s might have this problem, but haven't had a total failure of the coil yet? I few people have told me that the Navigator and Expedition have had a similar issue.

Thoughts?

Jason

Jason, 2 weeks ago a member reported this same thing. Bad coil. I do not remember his name, but he was running on 7 cyl and Ford replaced the coil, and all was well again. That is the only case I have read here on this.

Rob

Jason, 2 weeks ago a member reported this same thing. Bad coil. I do not remember his name, but he was running on 7 cyl and Ford replaced the coil, and all was well again. That is the only case I have read here on this.

Rob

Yeah.. That was me... Hopefully it's only as widespread as, well just me. I've been driving it harder lately with no problems. I just hit 550+mi today. It's been great but damn that back end likes to dance easy! It's amazing how quickly it breaks loose under moderate acceleration, or perhaps I've just adjusted my definition of moderate accelerations! :happy feet:

Jason

Yeah.. That was me... Hopefully it's only as widespread as, well just me. I've been driving it harder lately with no problems. I just hit 550+mi today. It's been great but damn that back end likes to dance easy! It's amazing how quickly it breaks loose under moderate acceleration, or perhaps I've just adjusted my definition of moderate accelerations! :happy feet:

Jason

Ford off and on have had issues with coils failing on some vehicle lines .. not totally uncommon.

One thing that I think will happen based on this thread is someone will come out with a larger heat exchanger soon for this car. But for now, all the more reason to boost the powerup to 600 hp or more since us poor ford shelby slobs are loosing so much power !

dond

Archived