TEAM SHELBY FORUM

clutch

I was wondering how many miles can I get out of a stock clutch on 725 hp supersnake?

That's a tough question that's difficult to answer. It really all depends on your personal driving habits, how many miles that you plan to put on the car per year, and if you plan to race the car too.

Then you have to factor in the issue with the clutch and flywheel which causes premature failures, and all of that combined makes it difficult to gage how many miles you will get out of your clutch.

My clutch (605 SS) went out at 18K, but some owners with unmodified GT500's have lost their clutches at lower milages than that.

If I had to take a stab in the dark, and again, not knowing your driving habits, I would say that you will get anywhere from 12,000 to 20,000 miles before your clutch goes south for the winter.

That's a tough question that's difficult to answer. It really all depends on your personal driving habits, how many miles that you plan to put on the car per year, and if you plan to race the car too.

Then you have to factor in the issue with the clutch and flywheel which causes premature failures, and all of that combined makes it difficult to gage how many miles you will get out of your clutch.

My clutch (605 SS) went out at 18K, but some owners with unmodified GT500's have lost their clutches at lower milages than that.

If I had to take a stab in the dark, and again, not knowing your driving habits, I would say that you will get anywhere from 12,000 to 20,000 miles before your clutch goes south for the winter.

Since the clutch is a known issue with Ford, will the 725hp SS owners be stuck footing the bill themselves when/if they fail prematurely?

I guess I am asking even thou the upgrade would forfeit your warranty, would defects be exempt?

and be covered by Ford

Kurtis

Since the clutch is a known issue with Ford, will the 725hp SS owners be stuck footing the bill themselves when/if they fail prematurely?

I guess I am asking even thou the upgrade would forfeit your warranty, would defects be exempt?

and be covered by Ford

Kurtis

Well, this is strictly my opinion, but if a known defect is identified by the manufacturer, then repairs for that specific defect should be covered under the TSB/warranty regardless of the modifications that have been done to the car.

Of course I'm not the one that's approving or disapproving the claims, so your question/concern is a still legitimate one. But if this raises your comfort level, I believe that there is a TS member here that also has a 725 H.P. SS and is getting his clutch repaired under the TSB/warranty.

Oh, and one other thing to keep in mind, the Moss-Magunson<-(may have spelled this wrong) act protects consumers from warranty denials due to modifications, however if the manufacturer can prove that the modifications did indeed cause or contribute to the normally warranted failure, they can ultimately deny the claim.

To be more specific and clear, let's say you own a brand new 4X4 pickup truck and you went ahead and installed a 4" aftermarket lift kit on it. Then about a month after you take delivery of your truck, it starts to idle weird and has low power. That issue would not have anything to do with lifting your truck, so the manufacturer would have a difficult time not fixing the idle and low power issue under warranty. On the other hand, if you took the truck in for differental and U-joint noise/issues, then they could possibly tell you to go pound sand.

My best advice would be that when the time comes, take the car into the dealer and then go from there. They might push back, they might not.

I just got my 08SS0083 of the trailer on monday. Spec clutches is building me a dual 9.5" disc with aluminum flywheel setup that weighs a total of 42 or so lbs. (The stock flywheel weighs about that) I will have $1600 in that setup along with a full JBA system with long tube headers and3" all the way back with a catted X-Pipe. Also a re-tune from JBA with a total cost with labor of around $6k. Spec said the clutch is able to hold 1200 ft/lbs and about 1300 hp. The reps at Spec have steered me a way from several otyher clutches they make saying this would be the best fit for my car with the specs I will have when all done. I can't wait to drive it. I will post more on my car when I get back from picking it up from the shop in Iowa in two weeks...pics and sound clips and everything hopefully. PM if you have anyother questions

-Alex (unfortunately my Dad and his dealer friend have driven the car before I have...I am so JEALOUS)

GO 725 08SS0083

I just got my 08SS0083 of the trailer on monday. Spec clutches is building me a dual 9.5" disc with aluminum flywheel setup that weighs a total of 42 or so lbs. (The stock flywheel weighs about that) I will have $1600 in that setup along with a full JBA system with long tube headers and3" all the way back with a catted X-Pipe. Also a re-tune from JBA with a total cost with labor of around $6k. Spec said the clutch is able to hold 1200 ft/lbs and about 1300 hp. The reps at Spec have steered me a way from several otyher clutches they make saying this would be the best fit for my car with the specs I will have when all done. I can't wait to drive it. I will post more on my car when I get back from picking it up from the shop in Iowa in two weeks...pics and sound clips and everything hopefully. PM if you have anyother questions

-Alex (unfortunately my Dad and his dealer friend have driven the car before I have...I am so JEALOUS)

GO 725 08SS0083

Could you please let us know when they pull your O.E.m clutch if there is any damage to it & the flywheel.

I sure will...I will write back as soon as I talk to them later this week.

How many miles on the OEM clutch? Are you having problems now that you're changing it or just upgrading the clutch because you want to? The stock clutch is a pretty stout unit that will support the 725 SS package without much problem.

and be covered by Ford

Kurtis

Kurtis,

I have a SS725 and the TSB was approved by Ford. My dealer didn't seem to care it was SS'ed. I am not sure if other dealers will. You need to have a good realtionship with the dealer when it comes to things like this, well at least it can't hurt.

Al

only 1700 miles on the stock clutch. It wouldn't come all the way out of gear when in neutral and was warming up the car. Alot of chatter was coming from the gears when in neutral. Replacing the clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing. It is going to be changed on Monday or tuesday.

Kurtis,

I have a SS725 and the TSB was approved by Ford. My dealer didn't seem to care it was SS'ed. I am not sure if other dealers will. You need to have a good realtionship with the dealer when it comes to things like this, well at least it can't hurt.

Al

Thanks Al, This is at least a ray of hope in case something goes wrong down the road :)

Kurtis

Archived