TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rusty exhaust tips

UUUHHHH....no your tips shouldn't do that unless the finish on them was sand blasted off. I would talk to whoever you dealt with in Vegas to see where they kept the car. Oh wait you live in CO? You didn't happen to drive it in the snow or on a salted road did you? That would do it.

They were starting to show signs of discoloration when I got to Vegas. I figured it was just heat (the car only had 2000 miles when I left). By the time I got it back the rust had formed. I noticed it when I picked up the car (as did several others), and at yesterday's show-n-tell at work someone else spotted it. At this point I figured it was totally abnormal.

I'll do steel wool but it'll just come back...

What is Flitz?

They were starting to show signs of discoloration when I got to Vegas. I figured it was just heat (the car only had 2000 miles when I left). By the time I got it back the rust had formed. I noticed it when I picked up the car (as did several others), and at yesterday's show-n-tell at work someone else spotted it. At this point I figured it was totally abnormal.

What is Flitz?

Flitlz or Semi-Chrome are polishes that come in a toothpaste like tube and both work very well...I wouldn't use the steel wool just yet...Try the Flitz or Semi-Chrome first...then if that works, just put a good coat of wax on them...I've never seen exhaust tips do that at all...as mentioned previously, did you drive it in the snow up there??? Perhaps road chemicals took the finish right off of that...if so, I'd be real worried about the rest of the under carriage and it's condition too...

If the Flitz or Semi-Chrome polishes don't work, you might try going back to FORD for a warranty replacement of the mufflers...the tips are welded onto them...

My SGT is almost a year old. I have 3000 miles on mine in Northern Utah and my tips look just fine except for the slight carbon on the inside. I have used regular automotive chrome cleaner on mine several times with no problem.

We have a hammered copper farmhouse sink in out kitchen. The manufacturer recommends Flitz on our ink, too. It is a metal polish. I bought some at a local home show and have used it twice on the sink. They also have a web site. It removes the worst of the oxidation but doesn't hurt the finish. It also leaves a coating, similar to car wax, on the metal to keep it from oxidzing as fast again. It might be worth a try.

Good luck........

What is Flitz?

That can't be right, Tony. Chrome plating should last for years.

Flitlz or Semi-Chrome are polishes that come in a toothpaste like tube and both work very well...I wouldn't use the steel wool just yet...Try the Flitz or Semi-Chrome first...then if that works, just put a good coat of wax on them...I've never seen exhaust tips do that at all...as mentioned previously, did you drive it in the snow up there??? Perhaps road chemicals took the finish right off of that...if so, I'd be real worried about the rest of the under carriage and it's condition too...

If the Flitz or Semi-Chrome polishes don't work, you might try going back to FORD for a warranty replacement of the mufflers...the tips are welded onto them...

No snow or rain (it was 105F driving across Utah). I doubt the temp was ever below 100 the whole time it was out there...

No snow or rain (it was 105F driving across Utah). I doubt the temp was ever below 100 the whole time it was out there...

Temp shouldn't do that at all...I'd try the Flitz or Semi-Chrome and if that doesn't bring about some satisfactory results, I'd go back to FORD for replacement under warranty...Just my $.02 worth

Temp shouldn't do that at all...I'd try the Flitz or Semi-Chrome and if that doesn't bring about some satisfactory results, I'd go back to FORD for replacement under warranty...Just my $.02 worth

I would think the heat would quickly remove any sealant that these would leave behind. I'll try something like this over the weekend.

I knew when I said "steel wool" some people would freak out. There are different "grades" of steel wool, 000 being a very fine wool. I've used this for years to remove rust and other material (tar, bugs) from chrome with no ill effects, it does bring the luster out in your chrome and I promise it won't scratch it. That being a tight spot watch out because it will dull the shine on your paint job on the bumper cover if it comes in contact with it.

Tony, that looks like a warranty issue to me. I'd go to my Ford dealer first before using steel wool or other extreme measures. Once they've seen them, then and only then would I try anything other than chrome polish. By the way, I've used SemiChrome for probably 20+ years and it works great on aluminum, makes it shine like chrome. But I wouldn't use it on chrome. It will leave fine scratches as it is quite abrasive. Yes it will remove rust and oxidation but it will leave scratches. Just beware. Hope this helps.

Jim

Tony, that looks like a warranty issue to me. I'd go to my Ford dealer first before using steel wool or other extreme measures. Once they've seen them, then and only then would I try anything other than chrome polish. By the way, I've used SemiChrome for probably 20+ years and it works great on aluminum, makes it shine like chrome. But I wouldn't use it on chrome. It will leave fine scratches as it is quite abrasive. Yes it will remove rust and oxidation but it will leave scratches. Just beware. Hope this helps.

Jim

There is also a product called Never Dull that is a cotton wadding kind of stuf that polishes like nobody's business...

Mothers works well too. I use that on mine. I have had no issues. I dont drive it in the rain BUT it has been out in it due to terrific weather forecasting *sarcasm*. If Mothers or the other chrome polish doesnt work id call Ford. I am perplexed by the heat discoloration part though. Usually you see it on bike exhaust near the heads but not way at the back of the car at the outlet.

There is also a product called Never Dull that is a cotton wadding kind of stuf that polishes like nobody's business...

+1 on the Never Dull. Good stuff and won't do any damage.

Jim

would Brasso work?

I wouldn't use Brasso on the pipe tips...if there is any kind of clear coat, Brasso will strip it down in a heartbeat...it's great for military BRASS...thus it's name, but I wouldn't use it on chrome or anything clear coated...

When I drove the car to Vegas before I left it for the S/C install they were shiny steel. Now the exhaust tips are rusty.

Is this normal, or should I get them replaced? If not a defect, what is recommended to de-rust them?

WOW! Never seen anything like that! They are part of the muffler so if they need to be replaced the entire muffler needs to be replaced.

Have any other SGT owners seen this?

I went to CheckerMart today and got some Turtle Wax stuff. They had Mothers too but the TW stuff specifically mentioned chrome whereas the Mothers stuff didn't.

I've got to go to Portland on Monday so maybe I'll wait and take it to the dealer before I do anything.

I recall someone saying that they had seem some heat-type discoloration on their tips. Can anyone remember this post?

It does have some carbon buildup on the inside but this is rust on the outside.

Dont mean to upset you but there definately is a problem with the outer coating of metal on the exhaust tips . The good news is the tips / mufflers should be covered under the ford warrenty . Its not a common problem to my knowledge just call ford customer service and they will direct you on what you have to do to get the problem fixed . Good luck

Have any other SGT owners seen this?

I went to CheckerMart today and got some Turtle Wax stuff. They had Mothers too but the TW stuff specifically mentioned chrome whereas the Mothers stuff didn't.

I've got to go to Portland on Monday so maybe I'll wait and take it to the dealer before I do anything.

I recall someone saying that they had seem some heat-type discoloration on their tips. Can anyone remember this post?

It does have some carbon buildup on the inside but this is rust on the outside.

I've NEVER seen this or anything even close to this on any SGT. My 2007, after 10,000 miles look as good as new! There is no reason for this and I would be careful of trying to clean them until you file a claim so they don't say you did something to the finish etc. It's just not normal. Is this on BOTH your cars or just one?

This is very common on all exhausts. Use fine steel wool and be careful of the bumper as you rub the tips. Spray some water on the tips to keep them wet and trap the rust debris so it falls on the ground and not on the painted surfaces. Then after the tips are totally clean use a good quality metal polish like ClearKote to make the tips shine. Wash the tips when you wash the car and they will look good for a long time.

This is very common on all exhausts. Use fine steel wool and be careful of the bumper as you rub the tips. Spray some water on the tips to keep them wet and trap the rust debris so it falls on the ground and not on the painted surfaces. Then after the tips are totally clean use a good quality metal polish like ClearKote to make the tips shine. Wash the tips when you wash the car and they will look good for a long time.

I tried the chrome polish and it didn't work too well. It got off the surface rust but there are still stains evident. It looks like the color when metal gets overheated. It can't have gotten that hot. I'll try the steel wool next weekend. If that doesn't clean it up it's back to Ford.

I'm going to give the FRPP folks a call during the week too to see what they have to say. They don't have an email address for support so I can't email them the pics.

I have posted in the past about exhaust system discoloration. Perhaps this is what you recall?

True stainless steel will "burn" (lacking a better word) from heat and discolor. I see this discoloration on my Pypes shorty headers, they are a warm "orange" today.

However, you should not see this discoloration in exhaust tips, exhaust gasses are much too cool at that point to discolor polished tips. I have the stainless steel Shelby tips from SPP, and a muffler delete and any discoloration of the tips is absent.

You have something else going on, perhaps a rich AFR? Don't know for sure without seeing pics, but I am sure any imperfection is a warranty issue. Check it out with your dealership?

I have posted in the past about exhaust system discoloration. Perhaps this is what you recall?

True stainless steel will "burn" (lacking a better word) from heat and discolor. I see this discoloration on my Pypes shorty headers, they are a warm "orange" today.

However, you should not see this discoloration in exhaust tips, exhaust gasses are much too cool at that point to discolor polished tips. I have the stainless steel Shelby tips from SPP, and a muffler delete and any discoloration of the tips is absent.

You have something else going on, perhaps a rich AFR? Don't know for sure without seeing pics, but I am sure any imperfection is a warranty issue. Check it out with your dealership?

You know, I was wondering about the "tune" that was provided with his KB install and whether or not it might be causing that on his drive back home from Vegas, but if I remember correctly, he said he had noticed it a little before he went to Vegas...

You know, I was wondering about the "tune" that was provided with his KB install and whether or not it might be causing that on his drive back home from Vegas, but if I remember correctly, he said he had noticed it a little before he went to Vegas...

Yes, this started before the KB install. I'd noticed some discoloration before we drove to Vegas, and when I picked up the car after the install there was a fair amount of rust.

The "best" metal polish I have ever used is a product called "Metal 300" from a company called One Grand. I had used Mother's in the past, but my buddy turned me on to this stuff, and I've never used anything else. It is so easy to use, and the results are amazing!

I had every aluminum item in the engine compartment of my '93 Cobra polished. Metal 300 keeps everything on it cleaner, longer.

Archived