TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Black with Gold Shelbys Question

David Hawkins

I know that 1966 was the First Year for a Black Shelby with Gold Stripes but was it also the only Year? The Black with Gold Stripes was for HERTZ but was the Color Combo ever used again on Shelby Mustangs after those Cars were built and delivered (not including the New 06-07 HERTZ Cars)?

David.

I did see a black/gold 1970 GT500 at a car gathering a few weeks ago, but I could not tell you if it was an original factory color combination or not.

What I have always heard was that the black/gold combo was exclusive to GT-H cars, but after seeing the car above, I just can't say with any certainty that this is true.

Yeah, 69/70 Shelbys could be ordered in Black with the Gold Side Stripe............. I forgot about those. Just courious about the66/67/68 models with the Lemans Stripes and the NEW Models being built.

David.

Wasn't there a black and gold Mustang II in 1977 or 1978?

Kind of like the white and blue Cobra II Mustangs from 1976-77.

Steve

I think I remember the car you are talking about, cobra decals, window louvers and all! It looked like a take off of the black and gold "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Ams of the time. That's a trip down memory lane for sure. No offense to any Mustang II owners but I did not care for the looks of most of the Ford automobiles at that time: Mustang II, Pinto, Maverick, Granada, etc. A low point in automotive history.

I think I remember the car you are talking about, cobra decals, window louvers and all! It looked like a take off of the black and gold "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Ams of the time. That's a trip down memory lane for sure. No offense to any Mustang II owners but I did not care for the looks of most of the Ford automobiles at that time: Mustang II, Pinto, Maverick, Granada, etc. A low point in automotive history.

The one that you are talking about being a take off of the Smoky and the Bandit Trans Am is a King Cobra. The Cobra II's had Lemans Stripes and a big whide Stripe on the Side that said COBRA II as well as a Big Cobra Snake Decal on the Front Fender.

David.

It was the Cobra II. I'm pretty sure the black and gold was a late 1977 and full year 1978 option. The blue and white Cobra II came out in 1976. IIRC that was one of the cars used on Charlies Angels TV show.

Below is a pic.

Steve

CobraII4050307.JPG

The Cobra II could be ordered in those color combo in all years 76, 77 and 78. In 78 they had different side stripes. Wider and in the middle of the doors and fenders and one hood, roof stripe instead of two.

See my website: http://www.stangnet.nl/index.php?page=timeline1976

http://www.stangnet.nl/index.php?page=timeline1977

http://www.stangnet.nl/index.php?page=timeline1978

Yeah......................some guy on here turned his SGT into one with gold stripes..............poser. :hysterical:

Archived