TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RPM Control

If you're talking about a rev limiter yes there is one. Tasca installed a race light for me and it works awesome.

Hi Adam,

I thought I had looked at every part of your car but I guess not. Can you post a photo of the race light? Thanks.

Jim

I've hit this rev limiter in 2nd a couple times already - stock HP begins to fall off right at about 6000 RPM I believe the rev limiter kicks on at about 6200 RPM or something like that. . . . . with or without the Traction Control turned on.

Don't quote me on that . . . . but that's what I'm seeing with my SGT.

Trevor

I have heard that the limiter kicks in at 6200. Some say that she's still pulling at that point. I know I've been close to it, but either I haven't hit it or it doesn't work (I hope the former)!

I've hit this rev limiter in 2nd a couple times already - stock HP begins to fall off right at about 6000 RPM I believe the rev limiter kicks on at about 6200 RPM or something like that. . . . . with or without the Traction Control turned on.

Don't quote me on that . . . . but that's what I'm seeing with my SGT.

Trevor

Sorry...You're quoted!

Hehehe, just kidding, but you are correct.

I have heard that the limiter kicks in at 6200. Some say that she's still pulling at that point. I know I've been close to it, but either I haven't hit it or it doesn't work (I hope the former)!

Just last week, I ventured into this territory with a custom tune for LuLu.

The factory/OEM speed limiter (aka "rev limiter") is set to 6200 RPM. Hit this wall with a stock SGT/SAI/FRP tune, and the EEC will shut things down until RPMs are reduced to 5800. No damage will occur, or result, it's a safety barrier. You will hear some "popping" from the engine bay, because the EEC is pulling spark, timing and fuel allocations to the injectors, but only to reduce engine RPM. No damage to the engine will result. In addition, turn off your Traction Control! if you're planning any highway adventures.

My tuner (Corey Simpson/Simpson Performance) bumped LuLu's speed limiter to 7000 RPM, and we found (thanks to accurate dyno reports) that there is no power available beyond 6200 RPM. The shortcoming of a "square" engine design? But, there is power up to and at 6200 RPM. Corey told me "that's you new shift point, Mac, 6200 RPM". Guess I need a shift light now.

After 6200 RPM, the 4.6L-3V engine will "roll over" and cause/suffer a loss of power. You will (should) know you have exhausted any power on tap, and either get up off the throttle, or, change gears.

IMHO...There is power up to 6200 RPM, but nothing to reach for after that. If you do reach, you are risking a blown engine, and I don't mean by Paxton/Whipple/KB...

For anyone looking for a shift light I installed a Raptor shift light about a year ago and it's a great product.

It has three wires: ground, power, and any coil-on-plug connection. Very easy install and you can change the shift point setting anytime with a small screwdriver.

Here's the link:

http://www.raptorperformance.com/products/Shift_light.htm

Sorry...You're quoted!

The factory/OEM speed limiter (aka "rev limiter") is set to 6200 RPM. Hit this wall with a stock SGT/SAI/FRP tune, and the EEC will shut things down until RPMs are reduced to 5800. No damage will occur, or result, it's a safety barrier. You will hear some "popping" from the engine bay, because the EEC is pulling spark, timing and fuel allocations to the injectors, but only to reduce engine RPM. No damage to the engine will result. In addition, turn off your Traction Control! if you're planning any highway adventures.

My tuner (Corey Simpson/Simpson Performance) bumped LuLu's speed limiter to 7000 RPM, and we found (thanks to accurate dyno reports) that there is no power available beyond 6200 RPM. The shortcoming of a "square" engine design? But, there is power up to and at 6200 RPM. Corey told me "that's you new shift point, Mac, 6200 RPM". Guess I need a shift light now.

After 6200 RPM, the 4.6L-3V engine will "roll over" and cause/suffer a loss of power. You will (should) know you have exhausted any power on tap, and either get up off the throttle, or, change gears.

IMHO...There is power up to 6200 RPM, but nothing to reach for after that. If you do reach, you are risking a blown engine, and I don't mean by Paxton/Whipple/KB...

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!!!!

Sorry...You're quoted!

Mac - Thanks for the reply, uhmmmm, on another post though! :hysterical: That is why I feel my car pulling strongly when it craps at 6200 RPMS, because it still has power at 6200, but no power @ 6300. Even though I find that interesting there is one thing numbers don't do, they don't lie. So thank you for the reply once again.

Swede

Archived