TEAM SHELBY FORUM

rivets with stripe replacement kit?

hi to all, my shelby gt is getting its stripes replaced under warranty and the dealership received today, rivets? my shelby is an 07 and from what i have read, the scoop is bolted down from underneath. are they sending the rivets out to all stripe replacement customers? i sure dont want the body shop the dealer is doing business with to rivet on my scoop when it is bolted from underneath. also, the underhood blanket will most certainly be damaged when they take it off to unbolt the scoop, will they replace that? what do you all think? i will mention the blanket to the dealer but i thought all 07"s were bolted on with 8 bolts. any help is appreciated. thanks!!

The scoops on the 2007s were bolted. One of the early hood scoop fixes was to drill out the faux rivets. Then along with the 8 bolts rivet the scoop to the hood. It was discovered that that led to other potential issues. The newest hood scoop fix is being tested and many hope that it will be released soon. You are the first, I have heard of in a long time receiving the rivet kit. That doesn't meant there haven't been more.

I am not aware that all stripe repairs gets the rivets but it makes sense. I am sure you can ask that they NOT do the rivets if you are fine with your scoop as is.

You're correct that many of the first 07's were bolted only from undreneath. About midway (around July 19 2007) they were bolting and riveting at SAI. Many people had/have issues with their scoops. My response here is to not get people going about the scoop issue I just want to give you my perspective since you may not know all.

I have had my car for 1 year and 11 days. Prior to that I got to drive it around in Vegas for a weekend (July 19-22 2007) after it was converted to an SGT but before it was modded. That weekend I found the scoop had warped badly. Later my car left with the rivets. I have not had any issues since. It is nearly perfect. It lies flat with no warping.

I wanted to take a moment to kind of update all since there are many out there that are still reluctant to get theirs riveted at a dealer for fear that the dealer may ruin something. I don't blame you. I think there may have been another similar issue but I can't recall. And I think some may be waiting for a new or different scoop repair but I am not sure since I haven't been paying attention to the scoop threads.

The bottom line is...for those ready willing and able to get the same rivet fix that I have, I say find a dealer you can trust and get it done. As Bob Tasca says "you will be satisfied" (I just had something in there about my wife too but I erased it LOL).

Hope this update helps those considering it. I'll be at Tasca this Saturday at the big show so come by and take a look for yourself.

Consider going to a body shop and ask if you can watch. Then pull your camcorder out and record it. Maybe that will keep them from messing up.

Good luck.

thanks for the responses. i have had no problem with my hood scoop to date. it lies fairly flat and isnt warped. i has in it what looks like a small ridge or wave, which i can live with. i do not want the dealer/bodyshop riveting my scoop if it isnt already riveted. the stripes are the issue. i am also concerned they will ruin the underhood blanket. we shall see. my build number is 5456, i wonder if my scoop is bolted. Tekheavy, what dealer are you using to get stripes redone? i am using Crown

Ford in Lynbrook, where i got the car. they have been very accomodating.

thanks for the responses. i have had no problem with my hood scoop to date. it lies fairly flat and isnt warped. i has in it what looks like a small ridge or wave, which i can live with. i do not want the dealer/bodyshop riveting my scoop if it isnt already riveted. the stripes are the issue. i am also concerned they will ruin the underhood blanket. we shall see. my build number is 5456, i wonder if my scoop is bolted. Tekheavy, what dealer are you using to get stripes redone? i am using Crown

Ford in Lynbrook, where i got the car. they have been very accomodating.

I used Sayville Ford. And they actually just called to tell me my car is ready. So I'm crossing my fingers hoping all is good.

Evan.

:lol: Hahahahaha... Wow... that's funny... I was thinking the same thing. OK, I think we're insane.

BTW, I'm on Long Island too, and my stripes are REEEEEALLY bad now. So I can't wait to hear how you guys make out. I need to find someone who'll do a good job.

And I'm still considering painting the suckers on...

Jer

Knowone mentioned the blanket but no they won't replace the blanket under the hood.I've had mine off 4 times and there is no problem putting it back on.I replaced the fastners once myself and you can get them from any auto-parts store.If they don't do a good job on your scoop then i would wait on the new scoop coming out any day now.good-luck.

hi to all, my shelby gt is getting its stripes replaced under warranty and the dealership received today, rivets? my shelby is an 07 and from what i have read, the scoop is bolted down from underneath. are they sending the rivets out to all stripe replacement customers? i sure dont want the body shop the dealer is doing business with to rivet on my scoop when it is bolted from underneath. also, the underhood blanket will most certainly be damaged when they take it off to unbolt the scoop, will they replace that? what do you all think? i will mention the blanket to the dealer but i thought all 07"s were bolted on with 8 bolts. any help is appreciated. thanks!!

It looks as though the stripes are now being shipped with a package of rivets so that on those cars with the fix or 2008s can have the scoop reattached properly with the right type and color rivets. Cheaper to send them all that way I suppose than try to determine each case etc. If you have a riveted scoop you need these, of you don't, then you don't. I would however ask the dealer for them! They may one day come in handy!

The hood blanket should not be damaged. I've had my scoop replaced 4 times and there os no issue with the blanket.

My 08 sgt is in the shop now. I'm not sure if my scoop is rivited or bolted on, but the dealer told me today that the new hood scoop appears to be made of fiberglass, and the mounting holes don't match the originals. If they drill, the new holes will meet the old ones, effectivly creating slotted mounting holes. They are now waiting to see if SAI wants to cover a new hood! And I don't want a new (and non factory painted) hood. I hear there is likely to be lint imperfections in the finish that would not be there in the factory painting process... plus matching the fender tops. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone considering leaving the "original" hood scoop as is? That is, as an unrepaired original Shelby GT? Sort of like years from now when these Shelbys are hitting the resale market and there are no examples of "off-the-assembly-line" originals? That make sense?

Yeah makes sense, no I wouldn't do it, and no I think it will have no effect. The way I see it, if and when these cars are worth anything, I will be either dead or too senile to care. But in the meantime I don't want to look out over a messed up scoop or deal with the questions etc. as to why my scoop looks bad.

Get it fixed! There will be a lot of cars with the original scoops! There aren't that many SGT owners here and they will only be fixed if you ask. In the end it may just be the cars that are fixed that turn out to be the rare ones! :hysterical:

Yeah makes sense, no I wouldn't do it, and no I think it will have no effect. The way I see it, if and when these cars are worth anything, I will be either dead or too senile to care. But in the meantime I don't want to look out over a messed up scoop or deal with the questions etc. as to why my scoop looks bad.

Get it fixed! There will be a lot of cars with the original scoops! There aren't that many SGT owners here and they will only be fixed if you ask. In the end it may just be the cars that are fixed that turn out to be the rare ones! :hysterical:

You really could be right! :hysterical:

Archived