TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Oil

yenrod

What is the deal with those of you have already done a change. Did you get it from the dealer (5W50 synthetic)? Have you used something different? What are your plans if you haven't changed yet?

I contacted a rep at Royal Purple looking for a 5W50 oil. This was their reply.

"We do not offer a 5W50 as we do not believe that this wide of a viscosity variance makes a good high performance oil. To obtain this high viscosity range requires the use of co-polymers (like STP) to raise the VI of the oil. These co-polymers tend to shear under high loads. I wonder if Ford is pushing this oil as they offer it through Motorcraft and being not readily available in the common markets would bring consumers back to the dealers. We highly recommend either the XPR 5W30 OR XPR 10W40 for your 5.4L Supercharged engine or in the street oils. RP 5W30, RP 10W30 or RP 10W40."

I contacted a rep at Royal Purple looking for a 5W50 oil. This was their reply.

"We do not offer a 5W50 as we do not believe that this wide of a viscosity variance makes a good high performance oil. To obtain this high viscosity range requires the use of co-polymers (like STP) to raise the VI of the oil. These co-polymers tend to shear under high loads. I wonder if Ford is pushing this oil as they offer it through Motorcraft and being not readily available in the common markets would bring consumers back to the dealers. We highly recommend either the XPR 5W30 OR XPR 10W40 for your 5.4L Supercharged engine or in the street oils. RP 5W30, RP 10W30 or RP 10W40."

Yes I contacted them too, they told me practically the same thing: quote from e-mail

"Congrats on a super car.

RP does not offer a 5W50 and you'll probably only find this grade in standard grade oils - not high performance.

I understand that it is available through Motorcraft and I'm of the belief that this was chosen to drive consumers back to the dealer for parts sales rather than using grades commonly available at high performance shops.

To make a grade with a wide viscosity range such as this you start with a 5 weight base stock and have to add a considerable amount of polymers to it to get it to act / retain oil viscosity at operating temperature polymers being copolymers like what is found in STP for example). These tend to shear under load and do not last.

We recommend the use of our RP 10W40 or XPR 5W30 or XPR 10W40 for this supercharged engine. The XPR is used in the Koenigsegg Super car which uses a similar 5.4 L supercharged engine. See photo attached.

Thanks for considering RP."

So the question is have you used any of their products? Which one?

Well it does make you wonder. I still believe Ford started the 5w-20 thing to improve their CAFE numbers while at the same time sacrificing longevity of their engines. I am not aware of anyone else that says to put 5w-20 oil in their V8's.

If you visit API's website to look into 5w-50 oils you'll find that Motorcraft does not even have an SM rated 5w-50 oil. I checked Motorcraft's catalog and verified this. Plus when I purchased their 5w-50 oil it was not a -B rated 5w-50 as the manual states.

Hmmm...

I have used RP before and it is good stuff. However, if you use anything other than 5w-50 while under warranty you can bet Ford will not honor any claims if something goes wrong with your engine.

What is the deal with those of you have already done a change. Did you get it from the dealer (5W50 synthetic)? Have you used something different? What are your plans if you haven't changed yet?

My reply to those for the oil is this, PLEASE READ YOUR SHELBY BOOK THAT COMES WITH THE CAR!!!!

On page 29 of the shelby gt 500 supplement, it states to use 5w-50 or an equivalent that meets fords specs.

Hello, We are talking about a high performance motor, and Hello, if any of you use a non-equivalent, please let me know the condition of your engine, once you have dared to go against fords recommendations. I'm like cringing here, its like using straight 30 weight or 85/90 gear oil in my F350 FX4 and then wondering, oh no, why is my truck frothing and sputtering, I for one would never treat any vehicle I owned with any type of fluid that wasnt the grade the the car manufacturer recommended, I have 4 wheelers, tractor, trucks, weed eaters, grasshopper diesel mower, and finally the GT500, and never in one of them would I use anything but what the book says to use.

Anyway, its each to his own, but when I read on page 3 of the GT500 supplement and I quote, Each of nearly 150,000 SVT vehicles produced since the 1993 model year has been designed and developed with the four SVT Hallmarks in mind, Performance, Substance, Exclusivity and Value, Well I for one feel honored to own, drive, wash, polish, a Shelby GT 500 and furthermore will do nothing but be in total awe each time I look at her.

So,If do decide to use 52-50 ,you go to any Ford dealer and they will order the oil for you, even if they dont know about it, it's still out there, we just got our case and it's $8.75 a quart aprx.

Sincerely and hopeful that you use the right oil,

venom 07

I have changed my oil already. I used the recommended oil and bought it from my dealer. Why use anything else?

Archived