TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vibration at 60 MPH

bradenbb

I have a 07 Vert with the 40th. I have a vibration at 60 MPH. If I do not hold the steering wheel it vibrates from left to right, back and forth with about 3/4 movement. The wheels have been balanced by Big 10 and the local Porsche dealer. The Porsche dealer had awsome equipment and they said the wheels balanced perfectly. What could it be?

Can the wheels balance and still have a bad tire or rim? If so, how can I pin that down?

Could it be alignment? The car does not pull.

What other items should I check? I would like to have a list to go over with the dealer on my next visit. SAI is at a loss. All input is apreciated.

I have a 07 Vert with the 40th. I have a vibration at 60 MPH. If I do not hold the steering wheel it vibrates from left to right, back and forth with about 3/4 movement. The wheels have been balanced by Big 10 and the local Porsche dealer. The Porsche dealer had awsome equipment and they said the wheels balanced perfectly. What could it be?

Can the wheels balance and still have a bad tire or rim? If so, how can I pin that down?

Could it be alignment? The car does not pull.

What other items should I check? I would like to have a list to go over with the dealer on my next visit. SAI is at a loss. All input is apreciated.

I had a lot of trouble getting my shake and shimmy to cease - put up many posts on this. Several things - after SAI gave me 3 new wheels - we discovered the TPMS bands were broke when the tires were mounted. Imagine that band flopping around the inside of the tire - you may think you're balancing, but it changes everytime you try. I also had the Baer brake upgrade - and both front rotors were cracked. It's debatable how that happened, though my car had 70 miles on it when delivered. Baer replaced both rotors and pads and I broke them in approrpriately. Fixing the bands and rotors resolved 95% of my problem. I also had a rear tire that was a little out of round with a hop in it. I only realized the tire problem after I replaced the rear 275s with new 305s - and the whole car settled down like new again. I then put the 275s up front and the problem returned. I tried to make a claim with Pirelli for replacement, but by then I had used more than 2/32".

The vibration comes in at 60 and as i go faster it speeds up and evens out but I can still feel it in the wheel, seat etc.

I have the baer upgrade as well.

Take your tires/wheels off and roll them around to listen for the TPMS band. Look at your rotors closely. Here are a couple pics of mine. Checkout the threads I put up on this.

th_009-7.jpgth_006-6.jpgth_007-2.jpgth_008-5.jpgth_009-6.jpg

th_010-5.jpgth_011-3.jpgth_012-2.jpgth_014-1.jpgth_005-6.jpg

I had a lot of trouble getting my shake and shimmy to cease - put up many posts on this. Several things - after SAI gave me 3 new wheels - we discovered the TPMS bands were broke when the tires were mounted. Imagine that band flopping around the inside of the tire - you may think you're balancing, but it changes everytime you try. I also had the Baer brake upgrade - and both front rotors were cracked. It's debatable how that happened, though my car had 70 miles on it when delivered. Baer replaced both rotors and pads and I broke them in approrpriately. Fixing the bands and rotors resolved 95% of my problem. I also had a rear tire that was a little out of round with a hop in it. I only realized the tire problem after I replaced the rear 275s with new 305s - and the whole car settled down like new again. I then put the 275s up front and the problem returned. I tried to make a claim with Pirelli for replacement, but by then I had used more than 2/32".

Good info - thanks. I'm going to check mine. I have a slight shake, not bad, but noticable. These things never get better on their own.

As an aside, how do you like the 305's? Maybe you've posted already. They must stick out from the side, as my 275's are pretty flush with the edge of the wheel well. Sorry to get off topic...

Do you have the 20" Razors?

A couple guys have bought the hub rings for them and it's stopped theirs.

I have a wobble/vibration, but at random speeds/conditions and have ordered a set just last week.

They were about $20 for all four. Holler if you need the numbers.

I checked them and they are good.

I have the Razors....what is the piece people are getting?

I have only heard of people having problems with the Razors. Not saying that they are the cause or it is an SAI issue becuase there was one person that purchased them and had them installed and someone else that had them installed at SAI. I just wanted to make sure you were aware.

Check your lug bolts. We don't want anyone else loosing wheels at 95MPH :D

Another thing to note - especially if you have the Baer rotors. The lug hole are oversized on the rotors. I had a clunkiung and cracking going on that I thought was the rear end when the 3.73s were done. Turnsout that was the rotor shifting and ringing between the wheel and axle mount. You need to torque these lugs down tight. It's recommended at 105 lbs, but I do it tighter.

The vibration comes in at 60 and as i go faster it speeds up and evens out but I can still feel it in the wheel, seat etc.

I have the baer upgrade as well.

I had the same problem. Ihad Nitto 555r on the frt. and no matter who balanced them when you drove the car there was a vibration between 60 and 70. We had it on the lift on day and I spun the tires and low and behold they were out of round . One was about a 1/16th and the other was a good 1/8th. After fighting with Nitto for a month they replaced one . They were unbelievably reluctant to do any thing else so i replaced them with Michelin PS-2s. Problem solved, no vibration at any speed.

Vic

Could the vibration be from a driveshaft out of line or out of balance?

I doubt it if he has stock DS. If he has an aftermarket one then possibly. I had the 4 inch Powerhouse DS in mine and I had issues with it rubbing the underneath of the car when two people were in (due to poor pinion angle setup I believe). It through my DS out of balance and I had a similar vibration. I bought a 3.5 inch Dynotech DS and all is well now.

I have a different angle on this. When you went to the Razors, did you remove the sheet metal retainers that hold the brake disk in place for assembly? The stock wheels are designed to clear these retainers, but aftermarket is not. Leaving them in place causes the problems that you described. Usually, there are one on each disk, but my right front had two, and the dang things blend in with the disk. Remove all of them and then chase more expensive options if it doesn't work. Just MHO.

I have a different angle on this. When you went to the Razors, did you remove the sheet metal retainers that hold the brake disk in place for assembly? The stock wheels are designed to clear these retainers, but aftermarket is not. Leaving them in place causes the problems that you described. Usually, there are one on each disk, but my right front had two, and the dang things blend in with the disk. Remove all of them and then chase more expensive options if it doesn't work. Just MHO.

SAI did all of the work. What does this look like? I ordered the hubcentric and the guys there told me about these clips as well. I emailed Bud at SAI and asked if they removed them but have not heard back. It was only a few hours ago.

I am going to remove the wheels when I get the hub rings and check for the clips and install the rings. Then see how it works. Does anyone have a pic of these clips?

SAI did all of the work. What does this look like? I ordered the hubcentric and the guys there told me about these clips as well. I emailed Bud at SAI and asked if they removed them but have not heard back. It was only a few hours ago.

I am going to remove the wheels when I get the hub rings and check for the clips and install the rings. Then see how it works. Does anyone have a pic of these clips?

I don't have a picture, but they look like washers with serrated inner edge to lock into the threads of the lugs. I just pulled them off with a screwdriver and pliers. They can blend in with the disk as evidenced how I missed the second one on the right front. From the look of them you wouldn't think they'd make a difference, but when you torgue the lug nuts down it distorts the wheel because they are not recessed to fit over them.

I doubt it if he has stock DS. If he has an aftermarket one then possibly. I had the 4 inch Powerhouse DS in mine and I had issues with it rubbing the underneath of the car when two people were in (due to poor pinion angle setup I believe). It through my DS out of balance and I had a similar vibration. I bought a 3.5 inch Dynotech DS and all is well now.

I tried a 4" one and also didn't like it. I put the stock unit back on. I might try a 3.5" next year. I'm still chasing down the vibration problem that I have. My vibration only occurs above 130 mph.

Tongue in cheek? 180mph? Ummm... Bonneville Salt Flats?

Yes, sort of. But if you can wind it up somewhere 120 is 2x, and a harmonic would probably show up. OK, 180 is a little out of reach. Might need a new S/C plus NOX. Plus a few suspension mods. Flats would be good. Let us know if you pull it off.

I think the tires would shake off this thing before it hit 180. It's shaking pretty bad at 135. It shakes just a little at 120.

I got into a speed wobble on my motorcycle once at about 100mph, a nice tank-slapper. I had heard hat the way to stop the wobble was to accelerate through it until it smoothed out. I decided that I'd rather come off the bike at 80 than 120, so slowed down. Fortunately, the wobble stopped, but my heart took a little longer to slow down...

Archived