TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which would you choose, and why?

Bob Kocon 2417

I would buy the 2008 Shelby GT Vista Blue Convertible because of the automatic tranny and the over the top stripes. I do however love the limited run of the red emblem package, Black with Red Striped GT 500 convertible with the over the top stripes (which is rare on a GT 500) but it is still a manual tranny. It would be a close second place.

If you had the chance to buy a 2008 Shelby Gt convertible or a 2008 GT500 convertible for the same amount of money, which would you buy and why? Assuming that both are brand new and cheaper than X-plan.

I will also post this in the GT500 forum.

I just went through the same decision process between a Shelby GT and a GT500, but coupes with manual transmissions. I ended up picking the Shelby GT, primarily because I liked the way it looks and drives compared to the GT500. Yeah, I could have upgraded the suspension on the GT500 to make it drive like the GT, but at a $10K difference between them in stock trim, I just couldn't see spending a bunch more on the GT500 to make it the way I like when the GT was already perfect for me. In the end, the 500HP wasn't a selling point, which I think it needs to be to make the GT500 compelling.

In terms for short term resale, it depends on how much you pay for the car. GT500's are still selling for around MSRP or higher (I did get a couple of dealers to go $1000 below MSRP), while Shelby GTs are easy to find way below MSRP (mine was $7000 below MSRP). However, if the GT500 resale follows the trend of the 2003/4 SVT Cobra, then I'd put my money on the GT500.

Personally, I'd buy the one I like better and not worry about resale. I would not want to spend my entire time with the better resale car thinking, "Man, is sure liked other one better!".

I don't plan to get rid of it. I was just wondering which would depreciate faster. As far as personal choice...for me, I'm leaning towards the GT for some of the following reasons:

Automatic

Overall better looks

I like the color better

Better gas mileage

Cheaper insurance

Low production numbers for 2008

However, I am considering the GT500 for some of the following reasons:

I really like the way the front-end looks

Awesome power

Price

Isn't the SGT a 2 year run (2007/2008)? 5800 plus or minus? It's also the first Mustang in over 35 years that's been upfitted by Shelby and carries a CSM#. Plus isn't the Shelby GT the first of it's kind? It's not a GT350 and it's not a GT500.

The GT500 isn't limited (2007/2008/2009) 20,000 plus or minus. It doesn't go thru Shelby, unless your getting the 40th or SS package.

Take you time and shop around, you should be able to pick up a 08 SGT for about $8-$10K less then the GT500

Like most have said, go with what you like. I went with the SGT primarily because I too couldn't see myself spending $50,000 on a car that I am in no financial position to get into. I love my SGT and you are right they are limited. As far as what is depreciating.....well, that's a long story, most of them have and only time will tell maybe not in our lifetime so get a Shelby now, get it signed and show it to the world....please whatever you do, don't make it a garage queen, people enjoy looking at these pieces of history :peelout:

If you like to 4-wheel drive then buy the GT500..no I was just kidding. If you want straight line 500 HP car then but the Gt500, if you want Shelby actually making/building your car buy the Shelby GT. SVT made the GT500 and Carroll Shelby made the Shelby GT, Ford just sent them the cars to do it with. It might be the last time too because they did not sell well so the rarety will go the Shelby GT. It is hard to beat an actual Shelby and you can buy either of them right now CHEAP!

If you like to 4-wheel drive then buy the GT500..no I was just kidding. If you want straight line 500 HP car then but the Gt500, if you want Shelby actually making/building your car buy the Shelby GT. SVT made the GT500 and Carroll Shelby made the Shelby GT, Ford just sent them the cars to do it with. It might be the last time too because they did not sell well so the rarety will go the Shelby GT. It is hard to beat an actual Shelby and you can buy either of them right now CHEAP!

:lurk:

I would go w/ the SGT - not only are they rare, but the price is much less for not much less straight-line performance, and better handling performance and all-around balance. In the real world its unlikely that one really needs more than 319 hp - I think Carrol Shelby even agrees. Which one looks better is a matter of personal preference, but my vote is the Shelby GT.

Both are awesome-buy the one that draws you in more. I could have went either way when I bought my SGT-had my choice of 3 GT500's, but the SGT just really pulled me in. I haven't regretted the decision once. Now if I had the opprotunity (and money) to buy another one, I'm thinking a vapor silver with black stripe GT500 would look very nice contrasting my SGT in my garage! :happy feet:

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the GT. I don't really need 500HP and I really would prefer an automatic.The only thing is that the GT would be coming from another dealer whereas the GT500 is on the showroom floor. The dealer is talking A-plan on the GT500 because he has to move it. He has a KR coming any day now. Right now the price difference between the two is only about 3k which is why I asked the question of which you would buy if the price were the same.

Like others have said Bob... you're going to be the one living with this decision, so it comes down to personal preference.

I had a similar decision - although I wanted either a GT500 coupe or a 2008 Shelby GT Convertible which were closer in money at the time. I decided on a Shelby GT Convertible and am very happy with my choice. I love the ride / handling (not my DD), the sound, the look and feel of this car. Although many of the automotive journalists sadly haven't been very kind to this car over the past 18 months, they just don't seem to "get it". It's much more than a Mustang GT with a body kit and a handling kit as many of them have chalked it up to be... Definitely a case of something special that adds up to more than the sum of its parts (must be the DNA). :) I also figured it would be easier to pick up a low mileage used GT500 down the road since they were higher volume production.

I also strongly considered a GT-H convertible, but my wife (who knows me too well) advised against it... and I agreed... as I would probably be afraid to drive it much (overly worried about putting on too many miles and/or accident / theft) - and that's a lot of money to just let set in the garage. The other reason - well plug Shelby GT-H into YouTube...

- Matt

P.S. - There probably are not very many SGT automatics (I only ran across 1 in my dealer inventory search (through 2 states) for my convertible in June). It sounds like that's a plus for you, and I'm guessing that may also turn out to be a very low volume option as far as collectibility down the road.

I've always said the GT has the looks and handling over the GT500,just doesn't have the performance.You could buy the GT and a few mods to enhance the performance such as headers,aluminum drive shaft,custom tune and lower gears and you wouldn't be to far off from the GT500.And with more rairty from the GT you might get more for it down the road.If you drive it often then you just might not want to sell it so quick.I'm glad you have choices because most people don't.It's really hard to make a wrong decision here.Good luck.

Like others have said, The Shelby GT is priced inbetween the Mustang GT and the Shelby GT 500 so to offer them at the same cost is not a realistic situation.

Comparing market costs of each vehicle would then throw price back into the decision....

If a Shelby GT 500 was offered at the same price, I would buy it and then turn around and sell it so I could get my automatic transmission Shelby GT and use the extra cash to save some money on the Shelby GT.

I would get the one that appeals more to you. It sounds like the GT.

Both are excellent choices, with the GT500 the same price, I would definitely give it close look.

edit*** The 500 at around $40-43k is a lot of value IMHO!

At the time I went with my SGT, it was mainly a cash issue for me. It is a black automatic. Now, I'm glad I did. For a few reasons.

I didn't buy my car as an investment. I bought it as an occasional driver. I always wanted another muscle car since I sold my Firebird back in 1980. With the Shelby name on it, I knew I couldn't go wrong.

Here in northern Utah we have a population of just over 1 million people spread out over about a 100 mile long area. I had never seen an SGT in person until I bought mine. There is another black one in the area, #393, 5-speed. I have never seen a white or Vista blue one locally. Last week I saw 2 GT500s on the same day and a third one the next day. On another thread, I read that there were only 508 black automatics produced. We are truly a rare breed.

I attend some local cruise nights and am the only SGT there unless #393 comes out. I went to a cruise weekend in Nevada with over 400 cars and I was the only SGT. People told me they heard about the SGT but had never seen one. They has seen GT500s. We entered the MCA Grand National show over Labor Day as display only. There were about 400 Mustangs total from 30 states and only 5 SGTs, counting mine and #393. There were lots of GT 500s. People told me that an SGT handles better in the autocross beacuse of the weight distribution. Apparently a V6 Terlingua is even 400 lbs lighter in the front that an SGT.

If you are looking for sheer horsepower, you can still put a supercharger on an SGT and come out cheaper than buying a new GT500. You could use the money you saved on tires you'll be replacing or other goodies from the Shelby catalog!

Now that Shelby Automotive has announced they will not be building any more SGTs, that should help out in the value dept. if that is a factor for you. I think the total SGT production from 2006-2008, including the Hertz cars is about 9,000. I read there are more than that number of GT 500s out or coming out.

I've always said the GT has the looks and handling over the GT500,just doesn't have the performance.You could buy the GT and a few mods to enhance the performance such as headers,aluminum drive shaft,custom tune and lower gears and you wouldn't be to far off from the GT500.And with more rairty from the GT you might get more for it down the road.If you drive it often then you just might not want to sell it so quick.I'm glad you have choices because most people don't.It's really hard to make a wrong decision here.Good luck.

ill tell you i got the gt-h loved the look and for the $ i paid i could have waited accoupel of mounth and got the gt500 ,idid like the power and did add a nitrous kit i have pulled 12.24 at the track on stock tires drag radials will get me into 11 so i love my gt

If you had the chance to buy a 2008 Shelby Gt convertible or a 2008 GT500 convertible for the same amount of money, which would you buy and why? Assuming that both are brand new and cheaper than X-plan.

I will also post this in the GT500 forum.

bob

for the same money i would go for the gt500. however i like the sgt more for the clean looks and the gt 500 for the power.

laurence

Id go with the GT. Mainly because I wanted a Shelby and have been a Shelby fan for many years. If I was a Ford SVT fan I would most deffinately go with the GT500, or a focus.

It comes down to this. Do you want a well rounded Shelby or a Ford mustang with a blower?

Id go with the GT. Mainly because I wanted a Shelby and have been a Shelby fan for many years. If I was a Ford SVT fan I would most deffinately go with the GT500, or a focus.

It comes down to this. Do you want a well rounded Shelby or a Ford mustang with a blower?

What a really ingenious way of putting it.Do you want a 500hp car that with a few inexpensive suspension upgrades will handle like an SGT,And come with a powerplant that is hand built,Will take at least 800 crank hp on the stock bottom end with a proper tuner at the helm OR,Do you want a mustang GT that would cost maybe mid 20's,Add an FRPP suspension package,A underhood hot air induction set up and tune,And a $170 dollar Hurst shifter.Then add some troublesome stripes,A hoodscoop issue that never seems to get rectified,Don't forget the negatives as well as the positives OK and the Shelby name for a grand total of about 13k over what you could do the same mods yourself.

Now try and buy a base Mustang GT and add a handbuilt 5.4 and the supporting mods plus a 6 speed etc for 13k,Good luck.

Now all of that being posted as far as content for the money,Both cars serve a specific purpose,One handles well and will haul some serious azz,The other handles really well out of the box but isn't nearly as fast or upgradeable to the horsepower levels of the other.

I have owned both and given the cost is equal,The GT500 wins IMO.

Since the SVT focus was mentioned maybe we should bring up the Shelby Dakota,HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. :hysterical:

Thanks for all the replies. Great food for thought. I've decided to go with the Shelby GT. I brought it home today (08SGT0912).

Congratulations! The SGT is an awesome vehoicle. For me it came down to aesthetic nostalgia. The SGT just looked the most like the classic Shelby mustangs circa. 1965-68, particularly the 1966. Particularly if don't want 500HP , it's a no brainer. WELCOME!

jpl

Thanks for all the replies. Great food for thought. I've decided to go with the Shelby GT. I brought it home today (08SGT0912).

Congrats on the new Shelby GT. Great choice. Oh,by the way, we don't believe a word of it without pic's. We love pictures :lurk:

Jim

Archived