TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Stock Vert hates the track

SPRSNK

Took my wife and daughter out to the track today to get my Sunday morning speed fix in. I usually hit the toll roads and screw around with other sport cars going fast in areas with low police density. First time that my wife has felt good enough since I bought the first GT500 to go to a track with me and of course with the wife going, I had to bring our daughter :baby: Shelby. 16 days old and already at the track. Makes a father want to :cry:

Anyways, back to the story. Second session out and my brakes...they get real spongy...real fast and I'm thinking "ok..I'll just do a quarter lap cool down and bring it in and let it all cool down." I park it, pop the hood, take off the helmet and gloves and smell that familiar smell of the brakes. I step on the brakes and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. This has never happened in my coupe since I had the brains to put in Dot4 to before I ever took it to the track and it weighs 900 pounds less, but that's besides the point. I get out of the car and smoke is just pouring out of my drivers side front wheel. I get the hood popped open and start checking it out. Nothing is on fire thankfully, I just smoked the living crap out of the brakes. Can't even touch the tire its so hot. I took it back out on the track for a complete cool down lap and just barely touched the brakes and they got slightly better over the lap. After having it parked for an hour I had brakes again, albeit slightly spongy still. 2 hours later it was all better.

As an added note: Wife did extremely well today and it gave us both hope for her traveling to Terlingua and my daughter....

She likes the sound of the supercharger. I don't know if I should be jumping for joy or banging my head against a brick wall. Time will tell.

Took my wife and daughter out to the track today to get my Sunday morning speed fix in. I usually hit the toll roads and screw around with other sport cars going fast in areas with low police density. First time that my wife has felt good enough since I bought the first GT500 to go to a track with me and of course with the wife going, I had to bring our daughter :baby: Shelby. 16 days old and already at the track. Makes a father want to :cry:

Anyways, back to the story. Second session out and my brakes...they get real spongy...real fast and I'm thinking "ok..I'll just do a quarter lap cool down and bring it in and let it all cool down." I park it, pop the hood, take off the helmet and gloves and smell that familiar smell of the brakes. I step on the brakes and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. This has never happened in my coupe since I had the brains to put in Dot4 to before I ever took it to the track and it weighs 900 pounds less, but that's besides the point. I get out of the car and smoke is just pouring out of my drivers side front wheel. I get the hood popped open and start checking it out. Nothing is on fire thankfully, I just smoked the living crap out of the brakes. Can't even touch the tire its so hot. I took it back out on the track for a complete cool down lap and just barely touched the brakes and they got slightly better over the lap. After having it parked for an hour I had brakes again, albeit slightly spongy still. 2 hours later it was all better.

As an added note: Wife did extremely well today and it gave us both hope for her traveling to Terlingua and my daughter....

She likes the sound of the supercharger. I don't know if I should be jumping for joy or banging my head against a brick wall. Time will tell.

Sprsnk

if they are the stock pads from ford, this is your problem, they cant even come close to taking the heat of track driving with the 4k lb automobile (sounds like yours is lighter now). I have even overcooked some decent race pads, as the car is just plain heavy. Obviously Shelby knows this is an issue, thus the brake cooling ducts on the KR / SS. Sorry to hear this happened, sounds like you were very close to total melt down.

FP

5k with me and gear. It's a vert and weighs in at 4700+ pounds. The brakes are being upgraded soon..but I only have room in the garage to upgrade one car at a time and I'm stuck on the coupe right now with a intercooler hose I had to cut to get off.

Just as I thought...pads are about toasted. No more track days left on them..not enough to safely drive to and from the track as well. about 3/8" left on the front. Guess I'll be changing those out in the next day or so.

Archived