TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm going after my Front end RUST

Grabber

Most of you know that there is a lot of Rust under our GT500’s and SGT’s and S197 Mustangs.

Last Winter I took care of the rear end rust as shown in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=11229&hl=

Last Spring I took care of the Rusty driveline as shown in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=25332&hl=

NOW IT’S TIME TO TAKE CARE OF THE FRONT END RUST.

Yes Front end rust. We all have it, trust me....just take a look and you will find it.

I don't drive my car in the rain at all and I have it, or should I say...HAD IT. It's gone now. (Note this is a 3 hour job)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I hoisted the car up in the air evenly by jacking on the pinch weld jack points as shown in the manual.

FrontendRustRepair-GT500001.jpg

Then I placed my jack stands under the jack point on the frame rail as shown in the manual.

FrontendRustRepair-GT500004.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500032.jpg

After placing the jack stands in position, I lowered the jacks to allow ½ of the weight to transfer onto the jack stands. This is easy to do with a scissors jack, because it just takes a few cranks and you can feel the weight transfer. This is a very important SAFETY step because the jack stands can not fail, and it also supports the car by 4 points, which is rock solid.

FrontendRustRepair-GT500002.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500003.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500005.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500024.jpg

I am impressed by your efforts!! I just wish I had that kind of free time!!

I don't really want to look under mine...but I probably will, out of curiousity if nothing else.

Good work!

I am impressed by your efforts!! I just wish I had that kind of free time!!

I don't really want to look under mine...but I probably will, out of curiousity if nothing else.

Good work!

Today is a quiet day here. My wife and kid are in Seattle, and I have Today off. I can't drive may car because they are Chip and tar sealing my roads again today. They are dumping tar everywhere.

I actually enjoy working on my car. :)

This is the mess I have on the roads.

th_RocksTar041.jpg

th_RocksTar027.jpg

th_RocksTar038.jpg

th_RocksTar043.jpg

th_RocksTar019.jpg

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

Rob, I knew you were up to something when you posted that you bought 2 scissors jacks.

I don't know where you find the time to do this stuff.

I barely have time to keep my Shelby washed and waxed.

Looks Good My Friend.

Alan

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

Rob, I knew you were up to something when you posted that you bought 2 scissors jacks.

I don't know where you find the time to do this stuff.

I barely have time to keep my Shelby washed and waxed.

Looks Good My Friend.

Alan

:hysterical: I'm always up to something.

The Ford sissor jacks Will only see use once or twice a year when I have to rotate my tires from side to side. These jacks are not made for day in and day out use, but they are designed to fit in the pinchweld cut out on our cars. They were only $64 bucks for the set. THEY MUST BE USED WITH JACK STANDS FOR SAFETY REASONS.

The car is rock solid with the four points holding it.

FrontendRustRepair-GT500024.jpg

Jack030.jpg

Jack067.jpg

Jack076.jpg

Jack085.jpg

This is not a scientific survey but my reading on this Forum over the past year or so leads me to the conclusion that rust is more of an issue on the GT500s. Is that the impression of anyone else? When I was under my SGT recently I saw some rust but, really, not all that much. Maybe when the SGTs pass through Las Vegas they inject something special into the mix to hold back the rust. :hysterical:

Jim

I'm curious why you didn't use the rust convertor this time?

The rust was just starting and was very light compared to the rear end parts that were solid brown with rust. The rear area was so big that I sprayed it, unlike this front area that I hand brushed. I am hoping that cleaning and scuffing the area, and then brushing on a thick coat of the Black Rustoleum paint will do the trick. It's a easy area to do future touch up inspections on when I rotate the tires, so I'm not to worried about it.

Great Job Rob. Will you be at Dearborn In Sept.??

Yes, I will be attending all 4 events. My wifeTana (Tanabanana) & son David (96 Black Pony) will be attending with me. :happy feet:

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. :)

Yes, I will be attending all 4 events. My wifeTana (Tanabanana) & son David (96 Black Pony) will be attending with me. :happy feet:

GReat looking forward to meeting you & your family. I would like to drive my car to see what you thing of the clutch I swear I could smell it last week.

Rob, I am bringing my 16 year old son too (who also has a mustang as his first car), looking forward to meeting you.

How many miles are on the shelby now?

Grabber,

Keep the tutorials and pictures coming.....those are great !

Earlier this spring, I waxed the entire undercarriage of my car. I'll be doing the same before it's put away for the winter and i'll take care of any rust issues at that time. It pays to have access to a car lift.

Lookin Good. :drool:

Mine's looks no way near as bad as yours did. Only a couple of small spots of rust. Very minimal. And I've already

got the Stillen zinc plated drilled and slotted rotors, so no rust there.

BTW, I just got my one piece aluminum driveshaft, so no more drive line rust either.

Archived