TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can the Shelby GT b driven safely in Winter conditions?

mywickedshelby

Please give me your honest assessment of the practical use of this car (a 2008 Shelby GT Coupe) as a daily driver all year round in the Northeast. Specifically in Winter conditions.

Can this car be depended on to get you to and/or back home when the weather moves in?

Understand, snow accumulations around here rarely exceed 4 0r 5 inches at most.........

and I really wouldnt expect any car to navigate beyond that point anyway.

If I say it can be depended on......IT MUST!

This is a deal breaker or a deal maker!

Please weigh in folks........

How bad do you want it??? :drool:

Please give me your honest assessment of the practical use of this car (a 2008 Shelby GT Coupe) as a daily driver all year round in the Northeast. Specifically in Winter conditions.

Can this car be depended on to get you to and/or back home when the weather moves in?

Understand, snow accumulations around here rarely exceed 4 0r 5 inches at most.........

and I really wouldnt expect any car to navigate beyond that point anyway.

If I say it can be depended on......IT MUST!

This is a deal breaker or a deal maker!

Please weigh in folks........

this is more of a just in case situation.

I need to know what the car is capable of. and what it is not capable of. :shift:

We also have to deal with the number of vehicles in the family.

I already have 2. My DD & my Shelby.

It would be my wife driving the car.

I need to know if it can do it.

I understand where you guys are coming from. My SGT doesnt even get driven in the rain.

If I get a second one, it will have much more expected of it.

Wondering what its capabilities are......

I have seen cars that couldnt get up (or down a hill) at a whisper of snow.

Can't put my wife in the scenario.

I am already figuring snow tires like blizzaks and some weight in the trunk.

Made it thru an upstate NY winter in a 90 tbird that way a few years back.

But if its Dorothy Hamill time everytime they forecast snow, I need to know.

Michael,

I used to drive those NJ winters in a '67 Mustang. Not fun. Especially in your ice storms. I used to put a 90 lb bag of Sacrete in a black trash bag (in case of a rip) and place one over each rear wheel well in the trunk to help out with traction. I also ran studded snow tires,Even this didn't alway help.

As you know I have lived in Utah 34 years now and have worked at major ski resort for the last 6 years. I used to own a Firebird out here and it was a horrible winter car, too. I bought my SGT in the middle of last December. We ended up with 500+ inches of snow last season. My poor car was stranded in my garage for months until spring finally showed up.

Aside from the handling issues, I am more concerned about the chemicals used on the roads that blow up underneath your car. I have had several 4 X 4 trucks over ther years and can tell you some of that crap really eats them up. Out here UDOT actually sprays salt water on the roads when a storm in on our doorstep to keep the initial accumlation to a minimun. I try to spray the underneath of my current 4x4 but I know I never get all fo the salt and chemicals out. I certainy don't want any of that under my SGT. I was still able to get my SGT out once and a while if the roads were dry. Think how much sweeter the ride will be if you have to wait between runs.

I agree that a winter "beater" would be in order if the finances let you do that. It will be cheap insurance.

I live in NY and my SGT is a daily driver. I survived last winter okay, but you have to be a decent driver with quick reflexes. Biggest issues: The car is a sled when snowing. You hit those brakes and the car doesn't stop. Other issue is clearance. Those big rock chunks of snow can get logged under your car. They also contain rocks, road debris, etc. in addition to snow, so your car could take a beating if you're not really careful what you drive over. You also get stuck easily.

Yea, i should change the tires this season. I'll look into that. I probably won't though, because that would be the smart thing to do.

As for suggestions of getting a $1k beater car, for some people who have to deal with city or limited parking options at their residence, having 2 cars is not an option. If you're only allowed one car, you have to choose wisely.

Michael, living in So Cal, I don't have to deal with snow, but you know as well as anyone here that because the Mustang has very little ass end to it, the rear end tends to get quite light.

As much as I would love to see your family get another Shelby in the garage, I just don't think that D would be comfortable driving a car that could fishtail out on her under certain circumstances. If she hit a patch of black ice under power, she could potentally be doing 360's in a New York minute.

Boy, if you could just wait and hold out for another year or so, you could put her into an AWD, Twin Turbo, SVT Fusion that would make you both smile no matter what the weather conditions were.

JMO buddy.

Mustangs are bad enough in the snow, but i'm more concerned about the other people on the road who think their cars are indestructable and try to corner at 50 mph on snow and ice. Ain't Happening!! And theres no way my Shelby comes out in snow or rain. Thats my 99 Taurus's job.

...Evan...

i live in arkansas and i dont like drivin my SGT in the snow or freezing rain. around here the snow isnt deap. 3 maybe 4 inches tops. but the road just has this thin layer of packed snow which makes it slick as snott for a RWD.

i drive my mother's 4x4 4runner when it snows or when there's freezing rain.

Nooooooooo!!!! Don't do it!!!!!! Yes, they are sweet cars and it would be great to have more than one, but if you are going to do that, move to TEXAS!!!! We don't get snow down here in West Texas anyway more than once or twice a year, and it's almost always gone the next day...so I don't go out if I don't have to...but they don't use the chemicals down here on the roads either...they drop sand everywhere...

Cons - Low Ground Clearance when snow/ice ruts, wear on car from chemicals, need another set of wheels/tires, did I mention wear on the car from chemicals? Some other idiot running into your Shelby! Do you have bond money to get out of jail for killing him?

Pros - It'd be nice, but not worth the cost in the long run...

Dedicated winter snow tires are a must on all four corners. Studs make snow tires even better if they are allowed in your State. Also, I found an automatic tranny must easier on take offs from a dead stop.

As Im sure you already know the key to driving safely in the snow is to drive slow and keep plenty of distance from the car in front of you. If your wife is a good driver during good weather conditions then she should be fine. If she is a poor to fair driver during good conditions then snow/ice will make winter conditions very difficult for her or anyone.

I have driven my 04 Mustang GT in the snow the last three seasons.

Snow tires all the way around are a must. I like the standard transmission, you can start in second gear for traction. Snows give you more stopping distance.

I bought a beater for this season as I don't like the salt they use on the roads. :happy feet:

i have driven a 1995 f-150 (rear wheel drive only) short bed pickup in the snow and had no trouble but i drove realllllllyyyyy slow and light on takeoffs and lightly use the brakes. also when i think i'm goin to need to stop i would anticipate. like when i come up to an intersection i would slow down way ahead of time gradually before getting there.

AND WATCH FOR BRIDGES OR OVERPASSES they are usually frozen. once i've seen a jeep hit a little bridge goin over a storm drain canal and the jeep did a 180 spin. but i believe he was goin 40 mph though too. :redcard:

Buy her the Shelby.

I know someone who can give her tips on power sliding.

Seriously, have your wife talk to my wife. Tonight.

If you time this right you won't even have to come back solo.

Look for the guy in a cap at the airport. He's your ride. PM if you want details.

Wicked, I just sent you a pm, however to repeat myself, I only drive my SGT 2 or 3 times during the winter but never had to do so in actual winter (i.e. snow, ice. salt) conditions., except maybe for some snow on my driveway when I took one or two photos. In January we got the Civic and , along w/ also having our Expedition AWD that was it for the possibility of any winter driving - now she's a winter garage queen, and now I have my new set of black bullits w/ Michelin Ice tires sitting in the garage.

I don't care if you are driving a shelby GT or a suburban, if you hit a patch of black ice under power......who knows where you will wind up??? If she is safe, go for it.......most of the roads your way get maintained pretty well, just get a set of winter tires/wheels and be done with it........but do one thing, BUY her what-ever she is comfortable with, if its a civic or a stang. I have bought too many in the past for my wife she didn't like and take a beating trading them in 6 months later to satisfy her.

I wouldn't put the lady in a SGT for winter driving.....you don't want her getting hurt. Buy her an AWD car or a front wheel drive.

X2 Michael. I drive in snow alot as you can imagine. I dont drive the Shelby. My thinking would be this. Why spend the extra for a car you and she will love just to take that car out in the snow, sleet, and rain, salty roads, etc? She may want one and we can understand that but what will end up happeneig is the car wont last as long, repairs and wear and tear will cost you even more, you will need to go through the expense of studdeed snow tires or better tires than stock for snow. She may get in an accident and get hurt and damage the car, whether its her fault or not it wont matter. In the end IMO it will just be a PITA that wont be worth the enoyment. Driving in that stuff is bad enough in a POS but to add on the strees of her driving HER baby in it is enough to give a person a heart attack. There are so many deals out there on SUV's and smaler SUV's right now Id consider someting with 4wd or AWD. I prefer 4WD as you can disengage the 4WD and save on gas when not needed. My wife drives an AWD explorer. Great vehicle but uses more gas than a 4WD but I got a steal on it as a leftover. So if it were me Id save the $$ and use it for buying a place with a bigger garage so you can get her a Shelby down the road. :)

Remember this! If something happens to her who the hell is going to pput up with you bud??!LOL I have to ask myself that all the time in regards to my wife too! :)

I drove mine all last year and it was fine. As long as you use common sense the car will be fine. I figure if its snowing bad just stay home. Heres something alot of people forget Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche(except the carrera 4s) are all rear wheel drive and you can drive them in the winter. Snow tires will definately help.

Well, I made the decision when I bought 08SGT0537 that I was going to drive it. I have a 1968 mustang show car, that I didn't start out to do as much as I did, and it stays stored or garaged most of the time. I do live in the South, so driving in the winter is not as big of an issue for me. This car is my daily driver. I absolutely love it. There are very few on the road, and it still gets a ton of attention. Thank God for Mr. Shelby. Most of all, thank all of you who can't drive it in the sand, we are blessed to have you in America!

I drove mine all last year and it was fine. As long as you use common sense the car will be fine. I figure if its snowing bad just stay home. Heres something alot of people forget Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche(except the carrera 4s) are all rear wheel drive and you can drive them in the winter. Snow tires will definately help.

Alot of their newer stuff is AWD.

Archived