TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby should build a Shelby Trans Am

David Hawkins

Shelby should build a Trans Am Racing Series Shelby Mustang, similar to the 2000 Cobra R. Below is my idea what the car:

SHELBY GT-TA

Start with a New Mustang GT Coupe

Remove A/C

Remove Stereo System

Remove Back Seat

Complete Total Control Rear Suspension

Complete Total Control Front Suspension

Adjustable Koni Shocks & Struts

Total Control Front & Rear Sway Bars

Large Brembo Front & Rear Brakes

Total Control Sub Frame Connectors

4 Point Roll Bar

Racaro Front Seats

4 Point Seat Belt Harnesses

Oil & Fuel Pressure Gauges and Dash Pod

18” Wheels & Performance Tires

18” Wheels and Track Tires

Cold Air Induction

Headers and Performance Exhaust

Other Bolt on Engine Mods allowed by SCCA

Ram Air / Heat Extractor Hood

Shelby Front & Rear Bumper Covers

Front & Rear Brake Cooling Ducts

Adjustable Rear Spoiler

Adjustable Front Spliter

SHELBY GT-TA Lower Side Stripes

Lemans Stripes

Stripes Colors: Blue, Gold, Black, White, Silver, Red

Pontiac might have some legal issues with some of that, but since they don't seem to be concerned with bringing out a new Fireturd, it sure would be a proper slap at them for their 'performance' line up if it could be done. Kinda like what was done in '68 with the KR!?!

Pontiac might have some legal issues with some of that, but since they don't seem to be concerned with bringing out a new Fireturd, it sure would be a proper slap at them for their 'performance' line up if it could be done. Kinda like what was done in '68 with the KR!?!

Thats why it would be a "SHELBY GT-TA" like Dodge did with the "Challenger T/A" back in the 70's. Trans Am was/is a Racing Series and Shelby built Mustang Coupes back in the 60's to compete in it.

David.

I agree that it would be cool, but since the Trans Am series died a few years ago and no longer exists as of right now, only the those who remember would know the tie. If you ask most people, Trans Am used to be a car, they don't know the series. I worked for SCCA Pro as an official for Trans Am from 1990 through 2002, and a few races after that. 1997 was one of the most memorable with Tommy Kendall's domination in the Mustang. Hopefully the T/A series will return someday with the popularity it had in the past.

Pontiac did not "own" the name Trans Am, the SCCA did. Pontiac paid SCCA a $5 royalty for the use of the name for every car made.

I'd buy the car and race it. The problem with the Mustang Challange, is that it's all Mustangs.

Now what would really revive the Trans-Am Series, allow people to build their own cars and not have to use the $75k+ pre-made race car. I would of course race a Shelby.

Pontiac did not "own" the name Trans Am, the SCCA did. Pontiac paid SCCA a $5 royalty for the use of the name for every car made.

I know it, but few people on the strret associate the name with the SCCA series. It was a real money maker for the SCCA, and is even funnier because the Trans Am (car), when it came out in '69, didn't have an engine package that would be legal in Trans Am (the series). They tries a destroked 305 version of the Pontiac engine and eded up using (I believe) the Z-28s Chevy small block 302. Later the SCCA allowed de-stroking, and things like the Boss 351 became legal.

I'm quite sure the SCCA would love to resurrect the Trans Am series, as well as having a production car with the name out there, for both recognition and profit.

Archived