TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Jersey Mess

Flatfoot

Hi all I'm from New Jersey, about a month ago I purchased a 08 Shelby GT 500 Red Coupe with the Black stripes, I LOVE THIS CAR !!! I havent been posting much because I have been out enjoying my ride. but I was just wondering if anyone had a problem with not having their owners manual in the glovebox when buying the car. I brought this to the attention of the dealership that I was missing a owners manual so they said "No problem come back and we will give you a new one"

I went down and the manager gives me a Ford Mustang owners manual with a nylon casing and a zipper with a blue ford oval logo (which belonged to a Mustang GT)....I said to him I want the owners manual to my GT500 and he says "its the same thing" :finger: Nooo its not the same thing cause from my understanding the GT500 gets a leather casing with a Cobra Logo on it (if i'm wrong someone correct me). so after going back and forth about this manual they decided that they are going to have to order me a new manual (from where? I dont know :banghead: cause its been almost a month and they still have not got it).

Now for problem number 2, I recieved a call from the dealership that my license plates have arrived and that I now have an outstanding balance of $100.00 owed to them for the registration. when I asked why is this they said that NJ DMV has classified my GT500 at a higher weight class which caused the increase (ARE u KIDDING ME this is not a truck or SUV its a CAR)... :censored:

Number 3 problem is I would like to personalize my license plate but the dealership said that they dont do that and that I would have to take the plates issued to me and re apply to DMV for personalized plates (which i'm thinking that if I do that I would probably have to pay another $100.00 because of the weight clasification :cry: Sorry for the rant I just had to get this off my chest........I STILL LOVE MY SHELBY!!

Hi all I'm from New Jersey, about a month ago I purchased a 08 Shelby GT 500 Red Coupe with the Black stripes, I LOVE THIS CAR !!! I havent been posting much because I have been out enjoying my ride. but I was just wondering if anyone had a problem with not having their owners manual in the glovebox when buying the car. I brought this to the attention of the dealership that I was missing a owners manual so they said "No problem come back and we will give you a new one"

I went down and the manager gives me a Ford Mustang owners manual with a nylon casing and a zipper with a blue ford oval logo (which belonged to a Mustang GT)....I said to him I want the owners manual to my GT500 and he says "its the same thing" :finger: Nooo its not the same thing cause from my understanding the GT500 gets a leather casing with a Cobra Logo on it (if i'm wrong someone correct me). so after going back and forth about this manual they decided that they are going to have to order me a new manual (from where? I dont know :banghead: cause its been almost a month and they still have not got it).

Now for problem number 2, I recieved a call from the dealership that my license plates have arrived and that I now have an outstanding balance of $100.00 owed to them for the registration. when I asked why is this they said that NJ DMV has classified my GT500 at a higher weight class which caused the increase (ARE u KIDDING ME this is not a truck or SUV its a CAR)... :censored:

Number 3 problem is I would like to personalize my license plate but the dealership said that they dont do that and that I would have to take the plates issued to me and re apply to DMV for personalized plates (which i'm thinking that if I do that I would probably have to pay another $100.00 because of the weight clasification :cry: Sorry for the rant I just had to get this off my chest........I STILL LOVE MY SHELBY!!

The actually owners manual is the same, but it also comes with an additional supplement manual for the GT500. The owners manual case that comes with the GT500 IS a LEATHER case with the cobra embrodered on it. The regular mustangs get the nylon cases.

So the owner manual is the same thing, but the case is not and there is also a supplement manual that comes with it.

I don't understand the extra $100 owed because of claiming a higher weight class. That makes no sense.

As for personal plates, we don't handle those here either. You would get regular plates here, then you would have to send in for any personal plates yourself. Here you don't pay the full amount for plates again, you would only pay for any difference for whatever the personalized plates cost VS what the regular plates cost.

This is the cover of the GT500 owners manual:

manual001.jpg

manual002.jpg

Sounds like some jerk at the dealership took your manual to sell on Ebay or for some other reason.

I don't know of any dealer that would process a personalized plate. I would suggest that you check the NY DOT website or visit your local office to get the form, and while you're at it you can check into the alleged weight/cost issue.

edit - out of curiousity, I went to the NJ website here - http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehiclesTitles.htm

You will note that there is a fee to register, and that's it...nothing about weight. Maybe you should print out this page and take it to your dealer. Have him show you the form that talks about the weight charge - there is always a form. Suggest that you and he call the DMV together to inquire about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I say that nice dealership is yanking your chain in a big way. That's why,I hate them with a passion if you like I'd more than glad to go there with you and kindly bash them. I'm not bragging here like others would say but I have purchased alot of cars and mostly in NJ and never heard of such a thing. Also if you call ford direct and complain it hurts them in a big way. There snakes in suits and they think the customers are idiots.

Thanks guys for the quick response... I'm going to double check this with the NJDMV.....BTW any NJ guys here that had this same prob with the DMV weight class....let me know please

Your car can not be anywhere near a truck wgt class check with DMV get name and see if you can get that info faxed and outlined by dmv agent so dealer can't tell you looked up the wrong info. and my offer stands please let me come with you it's been awhile since I dealer bashed.

Also speak loudly in front customers never in an office.

Your car can not be anywhere near a truck wgt class check with DMV get name and see if you can get that info faxed and outlined by dmv agent so dealer can't tell you looked up the wrong info. and my offer stands please let me come with you it's been awhile since I dealer bashed.

Also speak loudly in front customers never in an office.

Well there is good news and bad news, The Bad News is. after calling Ford direct and explaining my situation with the mystery of the missing manual, (sounds like a movie), they were kinda in the clouds too... :headscratch: because after explaning the sitiuation, she asked for the dealership name, and refered me to a 800 number that I can call to see if I'm able to get the manual from them. which turns out that she gave me the 800 number for the FORD GT supercar... :shift: customer service line..... :banghead: so at this point I'm aggravated..so I decided to take a ride there and demand to know whats going on... :finger: so I spoke to someone in charge, explained again my delema, and again I was assured that my manual will be given to me, he just cant check for it now because the parts department is closed. but for the Good News, he said I didnt have to pay for the extra charge for my plates... :happy feet: he took my number down and told me he would call me first thing in the morning about the manual, Now your probably wondering if he called or not ?...Well he DIDNT, I never got the call... :cry:

I STILL LOVE MY SHELBY

The last time I checked, you could order the owners manual and it's "pleather" case through Helm Inc. Here the link to their website: www.helminc.com Look under Mustang for the main owners manual, and then look under supplemental manuals for the Shelby manual. I did not see the Cobra embossed pleather case for these manuals, but you might want to call Helm tomorrow and ask.

The covers might also be available through The Ford Collection too. That website is www.fordcollection.com

Hope this helps.

Archived