TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Brake Problem

David067

I know most people on this forum dont have very high milage on their GT500. But to throw this out there. Has anyone have problems with their rear brakes? I have 32,000 miles on mine and took it in for my 30k service and asked the service manager to look into why one of my right side brake is making a rubbing noise when turning right.

Turns out its not my front brakes which have over 55% pad left. Its my rear brakes, right rear side is totally gone, the noise i was hearing was the rivit against the rotor. On the driver side pad they looked at it and it only had 3 mm left... I dont know what is going on and neither does the dealership. I hope that they will cover it under warranty, cause thats BS. I never even thought of checking out the rear brakes when it started to happen a week ago. I pulled off the front wheels to check out the inside pad and still alot of meat on them, i figured the rears will last alot longer than the fronts pads. Most of my driving is freeway, driving to vegas and to the river, etc.

So the dealership gave me a free rental and they are going to call ford to see what to do, if anyone else had the problem, if it is warrantable

Any thoughts???

Turns out its not my front brakes which have over 55% pad left. Its my rear brakes, right rear side is totally gone, the noise i was hearing was the rivit against the rotor. On the driver side pad they looked at it and it only had 3 mm left... I dont know what is going on and neither does the dealership. I hope that they will cover it under warranty, cause thats BS. I never even thought of checking out the rear brakes when it started to happen a week ago....

Any thoughts???

I cannot speak to the GT500, but I have been seeing this more often as of late on various makes.

A month ago my wife's Accord (55K miles) started making the usual sounds associated with wear indicators. I sent her to the NAPA for front brake pads (55K miles). As soon as I pulled the calipers I knew I was barking up the wrong tree. Prolly 60% pads remaining. Anyhow, I finished the job and sure enough, noise still there. Pulled the rears and they were almost gone.

I thought this was odd until I mentioned it to a few people who had other make vehicles and similar experiences. Don't know why, but apparently not uncommon.

This past Sunday the wife and I took our 2008 GT500 coupe out for a ride up around the lakes region. It has 1200 miles on the odometer and had been sitting in the garage for a week or so. A few miles from home I had cause to medium hard brake upon approaching a traffic light. The car immediately grabbed hard and pulled to the right. We both found it very strange. The incident did not repeat itself. I spoke with our SVT tech today and he isn't sure what may have happened to the brakes.

I know most people on this forum dont have very high milage on their GT500. But to throw this out there. Has anyone have problems with their rear brakes? I have 32,000 miles on mine and took it in for my 30k service and asked the service manager to look into why one of my right side brake is making a rubbing noise when turning right.

Turns out its not my front brakes which have over 55% pad left. Its my rear brakes, right rear side is totally gone, the noise i was hearing was the rivit against the rotor. On the driver side pad they looked at it and it only had 3 mm left... I dont know what is going on and neither does the dealership. I hope that they will cover it under warranty, cause thats BS. I never even thought of checking out the rear brakes when it started to happen a week ago. I pulled off the front wheels to check out the inside pad and still alot of meat on them, i figured the rears will last alot longer than the fronts pads. Most of my driving is freeway, driving to vegas and to the river, etc.

So the dealership gave me a free rental and they are going to call ford to see what to do, if anyone else had the problem, if it is warrantable

Any thoughts???

HI DAVE,

I DO HAVE ONE POSSIBLE INSITE TO YOUR REAR BRAKE ISSUE. BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE STATED

IT IS MOST LIKELY THAT THE CALIPER ON THE REAR BRAKE THAT HAS NO PAD LEFT IS GOING BAD.

IT IS WITH GREAT REGULARITY THAT WHEN A CALIPER FAILS IT FREEZE UP OR DOES NOT ACTUATE

OPEN OR CLOSED IN THE PROPER MANNER OFTEN STAYING PARTLY CLAMPED DOWN OR SQUEEZING

THE ROTOR EVER SO SLIGHTLY CAUSING THAT BRAKE PAD TO WEAR OUT MORE QUICKLY THAN ON

THE OTHER SIDE. I HAVE BEEN WITH FORD MOTOR CORPORATE AND AS A SERVICE MANAGER

OF TWO FORD DEALERSHIPS FOR OVER 17 YEARS. THIS WOULD BE MY DIAGNOSIS OF YOUR

WEAR. THE FIX IS TWO FOLDS. 1st) I WOULD REPLACE THE REAR PADS AND 1 ROTOR IF THE ROTOR

HAS BEEN GROUND DOWN AND CAN NOT BE RESURFACED. ADDITIONALLY, BEFORE I REPLACED THE

CALIPER ON THE SIDE THAT WAS BAD I WOULD HAVE THE TECHNITION CLEAN AND LUBRICATE THE

CALIPER SLIDES. THAT SHOULD TAKE CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM. THE 2ND AND MORE EXPENSIVE OF

THE OPTONS IS TO REPLACE THE 1 CALIPER THAT IS BAD. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO BOTH !!!!!

I HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU WITH YOUR REAR BRAKES.

SCOTTY

PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTONS. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SPEAK DIRECTLY TO

THE DEALERSHIPS SERVICE MANAGER OR ZONE REPRESENTATIVE IF YOU NEED HELP.

Hi Cobra Scotty, thank you for your offer. Actually both rear pads are pretty much gone, the passenger side was 0 and the driver side rear was almost to the rivit. So from what other people on the board have said in another section that it was most likily that the traction control was eating up the brakes. From what they said is that even if the traction control light doesnt come on, it is always working. and it uses the brakes to slow the car down to gain traction and also retards the engine. I usually have the TC off but sometimes i do forget.. so iam going to make sure i have the TC off and watch closely the wear on my brakes.

I do have the 7yr/100k mile warranty but if i still have problem im going to take it in before 36k to make sure that the calipers are not going bad.

Also when i talked to SVT they said that its just a normal wear item, and that there are no hot sheets on the brakes. I asked if anyone else has this problem and they said no, and they dont have any GT500's to compare it to because im the only one with over 30k miles. I will keep your information if i have any problems. thanks

Archived