TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shorty Antenna- bad signal

I don't know how many mustang owners have this problem after switching to the shorty antenna. I got tired of no channels so put my old antenna in a vise wiggled of the round tip. Then, I measured the height that gave me the most stations then grinded down the tip of the mast so round tip fit. Then glued it on banged down on shaft and presto new antenna with stations and not higher than windshield. Some may have done this already but what the hell. What's amazing to me that, I thought of that and did it while on my Meds but, I can't remember to walk the dog or my kids name.

post-18733-1219794292_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1219794292_thumb.jpg

Had a shorty on my Mach for a while and ended up going back to the OEM one - lack of signal.

For the life of me, I dont know WHY Ford doesnt put them in the windshield or some other glass on the car. Its not like they dont do that already on some of the other models.

Had a shorty on my Mach for a while and ended up going back to the OEM one - lack of signal.

For the life of me, I dont know WHY Ford doesnt put them in the windshield or some other glass on the car. Its not like they dont do that already on some of the other models.

try what I did it works and easy to do.

I don't know how many mustang owners have this problem after switching to the shorty antenna. I got tired of no channels so put my old antenna in a vise wiggled of the round tip. Then, I measured the height that gave me the most stations then grinded down the tip of the mast so round tip fit. Then glued it on banged down on shaft and presto new antenna with stations and not higher than windshield. Some may have done this already but what the hell. What's amazing to me that, I thought of that and did it while on my Meds but, I can't remember to walk the dog or my kids name.

Sirrus all the way mostly channel 15, we live in the mountains and don't get squat on the regular radio anyway .

web.jpg

Glad you found something that works for you.

Take Care,

Andrew

Sirrus all the way mostly channel 15, we live in the mountains and don't get squat on the regular radio anyway .

web.jpg

Glad you found something that works for you.

Take Care,

Andrew

Thanks didnt want sirrus so I had to come up with a plan and hope this helps others out

There is some formula out there that states little lack of signal wave variation at the 14" height. But for the life of me I can not find the information. I have cut several to that length on Fords and have not had any issues.

Mine has been cut to 14" with no real loss of signal. :shrug:

Roger

The antenna should be 14 inches per the Ford specs.

Antennas are "tuned" to a sub-multiple of the wavelength of the primary carrier signal, so as you shorten one the signal is attenuated until you approach the next sub-multiple length at which point it increases, but to a bit less signal than it was before you shortened it.

Put another way, if you shorten an antenna you'll get the best reception if it's length is exactly halved (assuming it was optimally tuned to begin with). I believe, but I'm not sure, it is usually tuned to the FM carrier because AM is less finnicky and has longer range to begin with.

So, I'd guess the stock antenna is about 28" long if 14" also works well (the next tuned sub-multiple for the FM carrier). If not, might want to try exactly half, but if Ford says 14" then I'd expect the stocker to be 28"

If not, just ignore the above :hysterical:

;-)

I just bought a shorty and put it on for a few days and Sirrus works fine so I guess it's all good. :headscratch:

Haha, has anyone ever had Sirrus vs. XM? I have XM in my truck and now Sirrus in the SGT and I think the Sirrus loses signal alot more? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since we were sort of on it....

There is some formula out there that states little lack of signal wave variation at the 14" height. But for the life of me I can not find the information. I have cut several to that length on Fords and have not had any issues.

Mine has been cut to 14" with no real loss of signal. :shrug:

Roger

I believe its supposed to be a fraction of the FM wave length, can't remember how it works I think they keep cutting it in half. I went 14" no noticable difference in reception.

Windshield based antennas are crap these days. Not what they used to be. With the advent of sattelite radio, I-Pods and such, I'm not surprised. Why bother?

I own a 2008 Mercury Gran Marquis with the antenna imbedded in the rear glass, and (frankly) it sucks. AM reception is very poor in the city and FM reception OTR is worse. I have a 2006 Mercury GM/Ford CVPI exterior antenna kit to be installed sometime next week.

This is how bad it is...My Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS is "bluetooth enabled". Thus, if I tune my FM band radio to one of three frequencies available, the Garmin GPS will intercept bluetooth cellular calls and talk to me over my on-board AM/FM stereo radio likewise tuned to one of the three frequencies. This feature is now a "hands-free" cell phone, very nice.

In my SGT, this system is flawless. I have driven all over the country, and it has never failed. However, my SGT has an exterior antenna of stock 28" length.

In my 2008 Mercury GM, I can't hold a frequency, and I have to keep adjusting both devices between the three frequencies available. This is why I am installing an exterior antenna on the GM. That, plus improved AM and FM reception both in the city and OTR.

I just bought a shorty and put it on for a few days and Sirrus works fine so I guess it's all good.

Sirrus reception is a satellite signal and your antenna is the "bump" on your trunk lid. You can take the AM/FM exterior antenna mast off entirely, and still get a Sirrius signal.

Gents...The general "rule of thumb" on antennas, is that the longer (taller) the antenna, the lower the frequency. Moreover, radio frequencies do not travel where the eye cannot see. This is why "short wave" antennas are usually 102" (or longer-taller).

Many state police cars still have 102" "whip" antennas in place, because they are still communicating on the "low band". Years ago, this was great for long distance communications without radio repeaters and getting "up on the racks", but it's not the technology of today. Back then, 100 watts of radio power bolted into the trunk meant 100 miles of broadcasting and contact. Very important to state police cars out on the road, but cellular and satellite communications (for on-board computers) have greatly improved over the past five years.

If you cut your factory antenna down to fine tune FM frequencies, you are cutting out the AM spectrum, and reception will change for the worse. If AM isn't to your liking, so be it. But, you will notice a loss of reception when driving through "thickets", like under bridges, over-passes, and indoors where the antenna cannot see/hear radio transmission.

IMHO, stick with the OEM 28" antenna mast. It's tuned to maximize both AM and FM reception, and (with an adapter) can plunge down into other important frequencies, such as CB and NOAA weather broadcasts. If you do any driving OTR, this is the way to go...IMHO.

The radio spectrum is confusing to many. On one hand quite complicated, and on the other hand, very simple. Y'all just need a primer.

Way way back in 1987, I was assigned a police "company car", a "take home" covert car. It was a new 2 door Chevy Caprice with one single 28" fender mounted antenna visible to the public. But, I communicated over five different radio bands through that one antenna. AM/FM/CB/NOAA reception, and Low Band/VHF/UHF and later, "trunking" (an early form of cellular) transmission. Amazing, but soon to be over run by newer technology.

F.I.Y...Y'all be safe.

PS...Remember, gents, if you can't hear it, you won't know about it. Like the Progressive insurance girl with the "tricked out name-tag" says..."SURPRISE!"

The radio frequencies that are recieved with the stock antenna match the "electrical length" of the antenna. the wire that wraps circumferentially around the antenna is the "tune" for the inductive reactance to the radio frequency. When you shorten the antenna, it's a crap-shoot whether your reception will be effected. A manufactured shorty will have a different wrap-density to electrically lengthen the antenna to, hopefully, match original design. Personally, I'll stick with stock.

(Radio Tech (2841) in Marines about 30 years ago...)

Dan

nice pic of the shorty. Did you change your side mirrors?

those are agent 47 mirrors.

been thinking about a shorty antenna for a while, as it does give a more streamlined look. am I understanding correctly, in that the consensus is that the 14" antenna typically will not effect reception?

I just bought a shorty and put it on for a few days and Sirrus works fine so I guess it's all good. :headscratch:

Haha, has anyone ever had Sirrus vs. XM? I have XM in my truck and now Sirrus in the SGT and I think the Sirrus loses signal alot more? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since we were sort of on it....

Sirius and XM merged recently how that will pan out I am not sure but here is the link to the announcement.

Sirius XM

Take Car,

Andrew

Sirius and XM merged recently how that will pan out I am not sure but here is the link to the announcement.

Sirius XM

Take Car,

Andrew

Hmmmm, wonder how this affects my accounts then...I have XM on my touring bike and Sirius in the SGT...I wonder if they would combine the two accounts? It's kinda crazy to have to pay over $100 per year each when I should be able to have both on one account for the same $100.00

been thinking about a shorty antenna for a while, as it does give a more streamlined look. am I understanding correctly, in that the consensus is that the 14" antenna typically will not effect reception?

Keep in mind that the length of the antenna is only half the equasion. The other half is the transmission quality and power of the radio signal you want to recieve. This is you cannot control, and (depending on where you travel), you may be disappointed. However, we're not talking about a lot of money here, so give it a shot? You can always go back to the OEM mast.

Sirius XM

Reading between the lines, it appears that both Sirius and XM will continue to operate as before, but merge programming on both channels. You will be able to enjoy all satellite radio programs without changing out your reciever.

Hmmmm, wonder how this affects my accounts then...I have XM on my touring bike and Sirius in the SGT...I wonder if they would combine the two accounts? It's kinda crazy to have to pay over $100 per year each when I should be able to have both on one account for the same $100.00

Again...Reading between the lines, my guess is that your present accounts will be closed, or, merged in a new Sirius XM account.

Archived