TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changing plugs

bdaztrk

my standard warning on plugs:

Make sure you blow out the plug well thoroughly before you remove the plugs. I was amazed how much debris had accumulated in mine after only 5000 miles. I was glad someone told me to do this because I would have just pulled them and all of that crud would have been in the cylinders.

You do NOT want a platnium plug in a high boost application. The platnium tip causes a hot spot in the cylinder which can lead to detonation. The exact reason the plugs are replaced in the stage II and beyond kits is to lesson detonation chances.

When I had my 95 Cobra there was discussion (and I can't remember the details now) that from the factory Ford used two different plugs depending if the plug was to go in the left or right bank of cylinders. It was described as a cost savings matter but when you purchased a new set of plugs they were all the higher quality plug.

Does anyone remember the details of that.

Did the plug change thing myself last night for new mods. For those who did it themselves, did the retention of the coil assembly seem more loose after changing the plugs. I haven't started mine since the changeover because I finished after the family was asleep. I am hoping that the flexible connector that goes from coil to plug can't go alongside the plug in the tunnel and not actually engage the plug. Will engine heat cause these assemblies to fix to the plug more tightly, thus explaining the apparent difference in tightness before and after. I guess we'll see tonight if the engine doesn't start or misses.

Archived