TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kenne Bell for 3k

I don't think KB ever made a 1.7 liter supercharger for 2005 and newer Mustangs (4.6 3 valve). That size KB supercharger should be for 2004 or older. The manifold that the blower sits on would be different than that of your SGT - if that's what you're thinking about purchasing it for.

If it's the 2.6 liter for the 3-valve, that's a good price.

Question for Dig-it

i know you had a KB installed, i never heard afterwards for feelings on the change in the performance of the drive. I tend to be in heavy morning traffic. Knowing that how does it perform in everyday traffic vs. prior to installation. i know the performance is increased but i am curious if it changed to nature of the drive in everyday traffic good or bad. thanks

Question for Dig-it

i know you had a KB installed, i never heard afterwards for feelings on the change in the performance of the drive. I tend to be in heavy morning traffic. Knowing that how does it perform in everyday traffic vs. prior to installation. i know the performance is increased but i am curious if it changed to nature of the drive in everyday traffic good or bad. thanks

I can't quite tell you how it drives in "everyday" traffic, but I have noticed that I really have to get into the gas pedal to move the boost gauge needle. I think the stock SGT is geared superbly for the power band of the engine – you can get a lot of smiles out of driving this car in its naturally aspirated form. The supercharger comes into play when you’re out of traffic- or emerging out of the front of traffic – when the accelerator can be pressed down just a bit more leaving all of those GM and Chrysler products behind. I feel that my SGT is still very easy to drive on the streets and that the overall feel hasn’t been changed – just enhanced. I hope this helps.

a friend of mine is selling a KB for about 3 grand. Its used but for the price you guys think its worth it? i think its a 1.8 whatever that is. Says i can get about 450 hp to the wheel. It includes the intercooler. So what do you think?

It's a good deal, if all the correct parts are included. There's more to supercharging than just the blower.

The first problem I see, is the intercooler. This is actually a lower manifold resting in the engine valley beneath the blower. If it's not for a -3V engine, doesn't do you much good on an SGT. Then there are other considerations, such as the heat exchanger. Water-to-air requires some plumbing. And don't forget the fuel sytem, upgraded pumps are advised. Then there's the tune, pulleys, and so on...yada yada yada. Lots of hidden costs, it can be your worst nightmare if you are building from parts.

IMHO...Save your pennies and buy a complete kit. Not only will you get everything you need, you will get the latest technology behind the product.

I can't quite tell you how it drives in "everyday" traffic, but I have noticed that I really have to get into the gas pedal to move the boost gauge needle. I think the stock SGT is geared superbly for the power band of the engine – you can get a lot of smiles out of driving this car in its naturally aspirated form. The supercharger comes into play when you’re out of traffic- or emerging out of the front of traffic – when the accelerator can be pressed down just a bit more leaving all of those GM and Chrysler products behind. I feel that my SGT is still very easy to drive on the streets and that the overall feel hasn’t been changed – just enhanced. I hope this helps.

Hmmmmm...so the naturally aspirated state of the 4.6, i.e.: a stock SGT, is more perferable than a SGT that is supercharged? I really did not get your post, it must be all the numbers I have taken in today.

Please elaborate-

1218shelby,

First, Mac (LuLu's owner) brought up a number of great points (he usually does so pay attention to him cause we all do).

Second, I have no reason to doubt your friend about the supercharger being a 1.8 liter. I've just never heard of that size blower for the 4.6L 3-valve. I own a 1.7L that's installed on my 2001 Mustang GT (4.6L 2-valve) and a 2.6L installed on my Shelby GT (4.6L 3-valve). Both of these blowers are the smallest that Kenne Bell makes or made for these engines that I know of. I don't mean to argue, but I don't want you to buy a blower you can't use!

SWEDEMAN - By no means is that what I was trying to say. The point I was trying to get across is that the Kenne Bell makes a great car better! I apologize if I was a bit wordy.

Archived