TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So, I hit 145mph today and...

TAHOE GT

nothing BAD happened. I used 5th and just derove into it from 95. I noticed that the hood starts to bounce around A LOT starting at 130.. Anyone else seen this? I'd hate to put hood pins through it, but if one were planning on a good deal of 130+mph driving I'd recommend it. Pretty smooth otherwise.

nothing BAD happened. I used 5th and just derove into it from 95. I noticed that the hood starts to bounce around A LOT starting at 130.. Anyone else seen this? I'd hat to put hood pins through it, but if one were planning on a good deal of 130+mph driving I'd recommend it. Pretty smooth otherwise.

No Hood bounce here? At the front, sides?? Doesn't equate.

Very nice Tahoe GT. I had mine to 110 in 3rd gear yesterday. Seemed pretty smooth but I backed down after about 10 seconds at that speed. Also, was wondering if you can tell me what psi rating you get in 1st gear if you hit it?

Guest evilchris

nothing BAD happened. I used 5th and just derove into it from 95. I noticed that the hood starts to bounce around A LOT starting at 130.. Anyone else seen this? I'd hat to put hood pins through it, but if one were planning on a good deal of 130+mph driving I'd recommend it. Pretty smooth otherwise.

Adjust the side bumpers, and make sure the top bumpers DO NOT contact the hood. The side bumpers are what preload the hood.

I had the same problem with mine except it started shaking around 80 mile per hour, I took the car back to the dealer and he adjusted the hood bumpers up front and it took care of the problem. It took a total of 10 minutes.It wasn't that big of a deal.The bumpers just screw in and out. Now I know at 145 mph it still don't shake. Please please please don't do anything drastic like hood pins. Unless you really like the look.It is a simple adjustment.

Guest evilchris

Mine was doing it at 60!! It's important to remember that the top bumpers are to prevent overslam. The hood should not rest on them. Back them off slightly. The side bumpers are the preloaders.

Very nice Tahoe GT. I had mine to 110 in 3rd gear yesterday. Seemed pretty smooth but I backed down after about 10 seconds at that speed. Also, was wondering if you can tell me what psi rating you get in 1st gear if you hit it?

You can see my psi on the dyno sheet elsewhere, but I havn't seen more than 9psi in any gear.

...It's important to remember that the top bumpers are to prevent overslam. The hood should not rest on them. Back them off slightly. The side bumpers are the preloaders.

Chris, which are top the "top bumpers?"

... Please please please don't do anything drastic like hood pins. Unless you really like the look.It is a simple adjustment.

I thought I could get a bite on that one. I had you goin' there burnedgt500. :hysterical2: Hood pins. HA!

...How did the front end feel along with the steering? Light , stuck to the pavement?...

Wild, it felt OK. I wouldn't say that it felt "glued", but it wasn't scarry either. Maybe a bit of lowering would help the splitter work better. I think that part of the problem is the upper grille and the hood overhang.

Since this thread seems to deal with speed, I guess I will add my weekend experience.

I was returning to Phoenix from the mountains in the northeast part of the state. The Shelby's trunk was packed to the max as well as the rear seat. My wife was riding with me too. I was on a long down grade and driving about 80 with my foot of the pedal. I was in the right hand lane (of a divided highway with two lanes )so the real crazy's could pass me. 55 and 65 mph twisties came up quite often and most of them are blind.

Mr. F :censored: head comes up behind in his big Navigator about 20 feet of my bumper and just wouldn't go around. I didn't want him there in case I had to put the binders on. He just felt lonely I guess. I finally got tired of the threat of getting it in the rear and gave the Shelby a little pedal and hit about 110 in the curve. The Navi tried to hang and pushed out hard in left lane. He can thank the man upstairs for antilocks because thats the only way he saved his ass. I went on to over 130 and braked hard at the bottom and to make make the next curve. I no longer worried being molested. I didn't see the Navi either the rest of the trip, probably stopped to wash his shorts

Wow, does this car corner and brake hard on real world roads. No fade and didn't seem to want to step out in the curves which were bumpy from frost heave. My wife never realize how fast we were going. I got 22 to mountains and over 26mpg on the way back. :cheerleader:

I have also noticed a lot of hood lift/vibration at 80mph and up!! I understand that the hood vents were added because of the issues experienced in the SCCA racing series where the hoods were being ripped off!! Thanks to all for the heads up on the bumper adjustments... next thing to try.

Bert

Zero hood bounce, that isn't normal.

04 Cobra here, but the premise should still be the same.

Mine was doing it at 60!! It's important to remember that the top bumpers are to prevent overslam. The hood should not rest on them. Back them off slightly. The side bumpers are the preloaders.

More MISINFORMATION from the Expert?

My car has no hood bounce at 160+

There are 4 adjustable bumpers on core support. ALL 4 should be touching bottom of hood when hood is closed. These are the ONLY adjustable or meant to be adjustable bumpers on your 2007 Shelby GT500.

The safety latch will not allow hood to fly open much less having the main latch latched properly.

IF you adjust them like the evil one says they will be INCORRECT PERIOD!! Again blowing smoke. He has no clue.

Which area of hood is fluttering?

The 4 YES FOUR adjustable hood stoppers/bumpers on core support are there for just this reason.

Since this thread seems to deal with speed, I guess I will add my weekend experience.

I was returning to Phoenix from the mountains in the northeast part of the state. The Shelby's trunk was packed to the max as well as the rear seat. My wife was riding with me too. I was on a long down grade and driving about 80 with my foot of the pedal. I was in the right hand lane (of a divided highway with two lanes )so the real crazy's could pass me. 55 and 65 mph twisties came up quite often and most of them are blind.

Mr. F :censored: head comes up behind in his big Navigator about 20 feet of my bumper and just wouldn't go around. I didn't want him there in case I had to put the binders on. He just felt lonely I guess. I finally got tired of the threat of getting it in the rear and gave the Shelby a little pedal and hit about 110 in the curve. The Navi tried to hang and pushed out hard in left lane. He can thank the man upstairs for antilocks because thats the only way he saved his ass. I went on to over 130 and braked hard at the bottom and to make make the next curve. I no longer worried being molested. I didn't see the Navi either the rest of the trip, probably stopped to wash his shorts

Wow, does this car corner and brake hard on real world roads. No fade and didn't seem to want to step out in the curves which were bumpy from frost heave. My wife never realize how fast we were going. I got 22 to mountains and over 26mpg on the way back. :cheerleader:

carnut, that was me evil kenevil. Next time I will have to not mess with a SHELBY! Did you notice I turned off @ xxxxx point? I was just trying to find out what the Shelby would do. Looked for you once I got to Fountain Hills area but you were long gone. I got 2.6mpg on way up and 22 on way down. Nice car!

Had it happen with 2 different Shelby owners on same weekend. Also just before Sunset point on I 17. Which one was you?

Here's a post TAHOE:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...mp;postcount=12

Don't be an idiot and adjust the top/center ones to touch the hood like some members may have.

All you did was quote someone elses writing in another forum! Is this guy a FORD Engineer, ASE State Certified Mechanic or just Joe Blow?

I say call your local Ford Dealer & ask them to take care of this for you or to explain the correct procedure for adjustment for all safety purposes to you & your car.

Guest evilchris

All you did was quote someone elses writing in another forum! Is this guy a FORD Engineer, ASE State Certified Mechanic or just Joe Blow?

I say call your local Ford Dealer & ask them to take care of this for you or to explain the correct procedure for adjustment for all safety purposes to you & your car.

"Your local Ford Dealer" generally has much less knowledge about a Mustang than an enthusiast. ASE Certifications are held by Jiffy Lube employees.

I had a hood shake at 60MPH, adjusted the hood as suggested, no more shake. I guess it's more dangerous now. :hysterical::hysterical:

You guys are hilarious. " make a sure an ASE State Certified Mechanic Ford Engineer at the Dealer adjusts your hood " :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

It's a hood, not the Space Shuttle. I know I know, THIS IS A CAROLL SHELBY MUSTANG SHELBY GT500!!!! The procedure must be SECRET and STATE OF THE ART to adjust the hood!!! Ford called in rocket scientists to the assembly line whenever GT500 hoods were installed.

Nevermind the 2 years of s197 knowledge already gained. The hood on the GT500 is different in APPEARANCE ONLY and has heat extractors. Its MECHANICAL FUNCTION and FITMENT is the same. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel on this car. It's an s197 like V6's and GT's.

TAHOE you have two options:

1. Adjust all four bumpers to ram into the hood.

2. Adjust it properly like I suggested, which I learned from dedicated s197 enthusiasts, not car-less know-it-alls.

"Your local Ford Dealer" generally has much less knowledge about a Mustang than an enthusiast. ASE Certifications are held by Jiffy Lube employees.

I had a hood shake at 60MPH, adjusted the hood as suggested, no more shake. I guess it's more dangerous now. :hysterical::hysterical:

You guys are hilarious. " make a sure an ASE State Certified Mechanic Ford Engineer at the Dealer adjusts your hood " :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

It's a hood, not the Space Shuttle. I know I know, THIS IS A CAROLL SHELBY MUSTANG SHELBY GT500!!!! The procedure must be SECRET and STATE OF THE ART to adjust the hood!!! Ford called in rocket scientists to the assembly line whenever GT500 hoods were installed.

Nevermind the 2 years of s197 knowledge already gained. The hood on the GT500 is different in APPEARANCE ONLY and has heat extractors. Its MECHANICAL FUNCTION and FITMENT is the same. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel on this car. It's an s197 like V6's and GT's.

2. Adjust it properly like I suggested, which I learned from dedicated s197 enthusiasts, not car-less know-it-alls.

Guillaume%20Louyot%20-%20Rays%20Of%20God%20.jpg

Son, if you have problems with the vehicle I have made for you, fear not I shall see to it with a swiftness not witnessed before the time that I leveled the walls of Jericho. Thy owners of yon charriot of the Gods, the Shelby Cobra GT500 shall not have to quibble with mere mortals for any issues with your automoton. Just speaketh 'Jehova' thrice and angels shall float down and adjust/repair it with the light touch of newborn kittens.

:happy feet:

More MISINFORMATION from the Expert?

My car has no hood bounce at 160+

There are 4 adjustable bumpers on core support. ALL 4 should be touching bottom of hood when hood is closed. These are the ONLY adjustable or meant to be adjustable bumpers on your 2007 Shelby GT500.

The safety latch will not allow hood to fly open much less having the main latch latched properly.

IF you adjust them like the evil one says they will be INCORRECT PERIOD!! Again blowing smoke. He has no clue.

Which area of hood is fluttering?

The 4 YES FOUR adjustable hood stoppers/bumpers on core support are there for just this reason.

For my car the flutter is mid hood back toward the windshield.. It looks like the hood is being pushed up from within the engine..... too much muscle... right??

Bert

It takes a Jiffy Lube employee to know one. :hysterical:

Unlike you EvilChris, I have held & earned certification in all or the majority of specialty areas in a given series that earned me a Master Technician status when I was a mechanic. I also have 2 Engineering Degrees & have worked in the IRL, WSC, IPS & the real world of building production cars for a living the Last 10 years at the Plants & I still do, but now their Hotrods & GT40 replicas.

When you tell someone how to do something you have no :censored: knowledge of the skill level or mechanical ability of that individual you are talking to & for you to think that every ASE certified Ford Mechanic is Ex-Jiffy Lube employee just shows how much backyard mechanical knowledge you have to make recommendations without thinking about the person your talking to or for the safety of that person. I guess since everyone on this board can type on a keyboard that makes them & us qualifyied to do your job as an IT Person? everyone has areas they specialize in & yours seems to be a know-it-all & FU-all

It takes a Jiffy Lube employee to know one. :hysterical:

Unlike you EvilChris, I have held & earned certification in all or the majority of specialty areas in a given series that earned me a Master Technician status when I was a mechanic. I also have 2 Engineering Degrees & have worked in the IRL, WSC, IPS & the real world of building production cars for a living the Last 10 years at the Plants & I still do, but now their Hotrods & GT40 replicas.

When you tell someone how to do something you have no :censored: knowledge of the skill level or mechanical ability of that individual you are talking to & for you to think that every ASE certified Ford Mechanic is Ex-Jiffy Lube employee just shows how much backyard mechanical knowledge you have to make recommendations without thinking about the person your talking to or for the safety of that person. I guess since everyone on this board can type on a keyboard that makes them & us qualifyied to do your job as an IT Person? everyone has areas they specialize in & yours seems to be a know-it-all & FU-all

All that experience and hands on knowledge doesn't mean all of that skill and knowledge is required for a simple hood adjustment. It's not like Chris was giving you a URL to paint by numbers showing how to do heart surgery. Basic body related item such as a hood manipulation, seems like a fair something to be accepted as 'general knowledge' if it has been written up by an actually knowledgeable person that has done it before.

I would understand your reaction if Chris just cut and pasted a walkthrough on how to rebuild an engine without pictures, but give me a break... He's right as well, it's the same mechanical parts that secure the GT and V6 hood. My car has been over 140 countless times and it doesn't have any hood vibrations etc..

Get off your high horse, his suggestion was totally reasonable.

All that experience and hands on knowledge doesn't mean all of that skill and knowledge is required for a simple hood adjustment. It's not like Chris was giving you a URL to paint by numbers showing how to do heart surgery. Basic body related item such as a hood manipulation, seems like a fair something to be accepted as 'general knowledge' if it has been written up by an actually knowledgeable person that has done it before.

I would understand your reaction if Chris just cut and pasted a walkthrough on how to rebuild an engine without pictures, but give me a break... He's right as well, it's the same mechanical parts that secure the GT and V6 hood. My car has been over 140 countless times and it doesn't have any hood vibrations etc..

OK, so does anyone else here STILL think Dropping_Chronic is really evilchris? :doh:

OK, so does anyone else here STILL think Dropping_Chronic is really evilchris? :doh:

Everytime I see this my blood :censored: ing boils.

If you really believe that, I encourage you to PM the admins of this board and have them verify where I am posting from. I'm from HOUSTON, live in HOUSTON, drive my car in HOUSTON. He's from CA?

Grow up, just because someone can see an opposing side of view, and believes it is correct for something as simple as a hood adjustment on a MUSTANG doesn't mean it's some big conspiracy against you and others.

1st off I not on a high horse but one who doesn't pass out mechanical advise to people I don't know the level of their mechanical ability.

In Repair 101: Diagnosis the problem by asking the customer specific questions as to what it is doing. Assuming the person or customer is actually describing the actual problem or a description of the symptom he is seeing can cause the wrong recommendations to be given. Now

Let’s look at what was said shall we….

TAHOE GT Wrote – “I noticed that the hood starts to bounce around A LOT starting at 130. Anyone else seen this”?

EC then wrote – “Adjust the side bumpers, and make sure the top bumpers DO NOT contact the hood. The side bumpers are what preload the hood”.

TAHOE GT then quoted this EC statement: “Mine was doing it at 60!! It's important to remember that the top bumpers are to prevent overslam. The hood should not rest on them. Back them off slightly. The side bumpers are the preloaders.

TAHOE GT Wrote - Chris, which are top the "top bumpers?"

This is where the problem starts by him asking as to what it looks like & where are they located. Again assuming the person is knowledgeable & capable of fixing without worrying for the end users safety is just plain stupid. Granted these rubber stops are not an safety issue, the rear hinges and main latch areas are & you shouldn't hand out mechanical fixes for HIGH SPEED problems without seeing or witness the problem for yourself. How do you know that the bolts are coming loose at the rear or on one side? Not asking specific questions or asking what did you checked can turn deadly in somecases.

1st off I not on a high horse but one who doesn't pass out mechanical advise to people I don't know the level of their mechanical ability.

In Repair 101: Diagnosis the problem by asking the customer specific questions as to what it is doing. Assuming the person or customer is actually describing the actual problem or a description of the symptom he is seeing can cause the wrong recommendations to be given. Now

Let’s look at what was said shall we….

TAHOE GT Wrote – “I noticed that the hood starts to bounce around A LOT starting at 130. Anyone else seen this”?

EC then wrote – “Adjust the side bumpers, and make sure the top bumpers DO NOT contact the hood. The side bumpers are what preload the hood”.

TAHOE GT then quoted this EC statement: “Mine was doing it at 60!! It's important to remember that the top bumpers are to prevent overslam. The hood should not rest on them. Back them off slightly. The side bumpers are the preloaders.

TAHOE GT Wrote - Chris, which are top the "top bumpers?"

This is where the problem starts by him asking as to what it looks like & where are they located. Again assuming the person is knowledgeable & capable of fixing without worrying for the end users safety is just plain stupid. Granted these rubber stops are not an safety issue, the rear hinges and main latch areas are & you shouldn't hand out mechanical fixes for HIGH SPEED problems without seeing or witness the problem for yourself. How do you know that the bolts are coming loose at the rear or on one side? Not asking specific questions or asking what did you checked can turn deadly in somecases.

Point taken. :party:

Back attcha :party:

Wow! You guys need to relax a little. Those are some pretty intense words. I do see both sides of this "argument," however. Most important and pertinent to this is, "It's the internet. There are as many opinions, as facts. Research and take all advice/instruction with a liberal dose of skepticism and caution. It's for informational use only."

As to ability of the end-user - From previous interaction/posts on the board, one can often get a general idea of the competency of the questioner. My question relating to the "top bumpers" was a clarification question about the meaning of the term, akin to asking clarification from a customer on their complaint.

The hood bounce near the windshield is usuallly created by the turbulance at the base of the windshield. Mine was at the front corners. You could see the leading edge of the hood "rocking" on the latch in the middle.

As to the dealer "knowing" how to remedy the situation, a given dealer may not have EVER seen this complaint before simply because most owners rarely exceed 85-90mph. If there is not a TSB on a specific complaint few dealerships have the knowledge-base to cover every complaint. That's not a knock on dealers, but rather a generalization related to experience and the current staff.

Archived