TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To all 2008 GT500 and KR's

mikeshelby

Has anyone looked behind the steering wheel, the brackets that lead into the controls on the steering wheel itself. I have two horribly cut out circles where they ran the wiring. Just curious to see if anyone noticed on their GT 500 or KR. Looks like someone cut it with a knife and left it..... pictures to show what it looks like.....

post-19936-1219700036_thumb.jpg

post-19936-1219700066_thumb.jpg

post-19936-1219700036_thumb.jpg

post-19936-1219700066_thumb.jpg

That looks terrible. :cry:

I have a 2007 GT500 and we have the same cutouts as the 2008; however, my cutouts are even and smooth.

Stuart

The term FN HACK, comes to my mind, I will look tomorrow, hope it isn't like that but if it is I will be calling Ford, as should everyone else.

Has anyone looked behind the steering wheel, the brackets that lead into the controls on the steering wheel itself. I have two horribly cut out circles where they ran the wiring. Just curious to see if anyone noticed on their GT 500 or KR. Looks like someone cut it with a knife and left it..... pictures to show what it looks like.....

I would not mess with it, it's original and one of the imperfections on your car. It won't hurt the value IMO.

You guys need to realize these cars are MUSTANGS and the "holes" you refer to are there on EVERY S197 stang! They hide the two airbag bolts. To remove the airbag you pop those two covers off and remove 1 bolt on each side. The airbag pops off from there. These are not special GT500/KR holes. lol

You guys need to realize these cars are MUSTANGS and the "holes" you refer to are there on EVERY S197 stang! They hide the two airbag bolts. To remove the airbag you pop those two covers off and remove 1 bolt on each side. The airbag pops off from there. These are not special GT500/KR holes. lol

ATOGM,

Welcome to the site. BTW I think we do realize that our vehicle are Mustangs. Thanks for letting everyone know what the holes are for... Regards.

Stuart

Do the holes really bother people? To me they are just normal "Ford things". You have to remember the entire Mustang line is based off a $20,000 car ( the base V6 ). No amount of mods and better powertrains changes the overall construction/build process.

took the car to the dealership...These are not airbag holes... They are behind the steering whell!! Even the dealership could not believe how horrible these looked... like a six year old used a knife to make the cut out. They are where the wires connect to the steering arms per the dealership.... and there are no caps on them!! Looked at other GT500's and they are a lot cleaner and look like they were factory cut out... not hand cut out....Ford is checking into this and yes it is noticeable, especially if they look like this.

took the car to the dealership...These are not airbag holes... They are behind the steering whell!! Even the dealership could not believe how horrible these looked... like a six year old used a knife to make the cut out. They are where the wires connect to the steering arms per the dealership.... and there are no caps on them!! Looked at other GT500's and they are a lot cleaner and look like they were factory cut out... not hand cut out....Ford is checking into this and yes it is noticeable, especially if they look like this.

I agree with you. You pay top dollar for the car and expect everything to be right! Its apparent your problem is a quality control issue and I would hope the dealership you purchased the car from would make the necessary calls to Ford to bring it to their attention and then correct it for you! Let us know how you make out.

I agree with you. You pay top dollar for the car and expect everything to be right! Its apparent your problem is a quality control issue and I would hope the dealership you purchased the car from would make the necessary calls to Ford to bring it to their attention and then correct it for you! Let us know how you make out.

+1000000000000

Hmm, your dealership is wrong. Please see airbag removal instructions in this thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=463360

You will clearly see the caps being removed, and the bolts behind them. I'm not sure I would take your car to that dealer again. The caps have nothing to do with the "wires". The cruise control buttons connect to a harness underneath the airbag once your remove it, on the top. Nowhere *near* those holes. The caps *are* on yours per your own submitted picture. Please see the Ford service manual on this here:

http://www.swaaggs.com/documents/airbag.pdf

That is the official Ford document, clearing showing you that the caps cover the bolts for removing the airbag.

Easy enough to fix, just needs a new wheel. The dealer should be able to get one in 1 day. It's a standard GT500 wheel. You reuse your existing airbag with KR specific center button. I don't know if your dealer will be able to change the wheel though, since you have to pop the airbag out to get to the bolt holding the wheel on......and your dealer doesn't know where the airbag bolts are. :)

airbag.pdf

airbag.pdf

Archived