TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another Scoop question..

FordRocks1

My question if anyone can answer including Amy or any of the SAI crew is that when my scoop gets replaced will I or any owners get to keep the original scoop? The reason that I am asking is that I would like to keep my scoop and send it out for Mr. Shelby to sign it and it be a part of the CS history...... :rockon:

Anybody else feels this way please chime in....

Ford warranty takes the old scoop back. By the way It has 8 bolts with the 2 hex head

screws on the front corners attached to the hood.

Kevin

07SGT2591

Aww man!!! Oh well, it was wort trying...maybe they should make exceptions to the SGT crowd :happy feet:

I think by SAI letting us have it back only with a CS signature would be great because the donated money goes to Mr.Shelby's foundation.....it's win win situation....

so My scoop is not really rivetted on? Oh well it looks good. I can't wait to get my scoop, mine looks like it's getting worse by the day. It's been like 100 degrees here for the last month I think.

I'm confused on this whole hood scoop issue....I've seen some of the 07's and I see what looks like 4 bolts on the bottom fo the hood that hold the scoop on. My 08 does not have those bolts under the hood, and I can't see any rivets on the underside of the hood either, so I'm really wondering how the hood scoop on my car was attached??? I am not experiencing scoop or stripe issues and I've had the car since February and live out here in the West Texas desert where temps regularly hit 100 degrees +...(I'm knocking on every piece of wood in my office right now!!!) I also park the car in the garage every day, but temps in there get pretty high as well as I have an attic fan that comes on at 98 degrees, and it runs most of the day...

I'm wondering if my SGT sitting on the show room floor of the dealer for 5 months had anything to do with the stripes curing and the hood scoop maintaining its form? Just a thought...I dunno!

So I have a question....... Between the bubbled stripes, warped scoops and the rusting lanyards.... Aren't these the things that make our Shelby's, Shelby's? I mean, let's be honest..... When (and IF) you see another SGT somewhere aren't you looking for these "defects?" I was a little apprehensive in fixing any of these items on my car (she's in the shop now) because I felt like she could wear these things as a badge of honor..... Thoughts? Yes, ultimately I gave in only because I saw everyone else fixing them. The two weeks i've been without her has been PAINFUL!

When you take the cover from the bottom of the hood , the four other bolts become visible.

I had the same opinion about changing out stuff that came from Shelby. But

my stripes looked so bad I had to replace them. Same thing with the scoop. It looked

so bad I had to replace it. Good thing is the scoop is made by SAI. Its well worth changing it!

Kevin

07SGT2591

When you take the cover from the bottom of the hood , the four other bolts become visible.

I had the same opinion about changing out stuff that came from Shelby. But

my stripes looked so bad I had to replace them. Same thing with the scoop. It looked

so bad I had to replace it. Good thing is the scoop is made by SAI. Its well worth changing it!

Kevin

07SGT2591

I believe that there are (at least) 4 different scoops. The original was 4 bolt. They added 2 bolts to the front in rev2. Rev3 was 6 bolts plus rivets. Rev4 was used on the 08s and is riveted. I don't know if rev4 is bolted on as well. Someone correct me if I am wrong on any of the details.

I have the 2nd generation scoop. I replaced the original mainly due to bubbles under the stripe. The second one has a perfect stripe but it still has some "character" so it isn't perfect, (but whose is?)

OK. Lets run down the scoops from someone who has been through all the changes. Having car #117 I was one of the originals.

Original scoops come with 8 bolts. 4 are visible and 4 are hidden under the hood insulation. They are bolted to loose tabs on the underside of the cast scoop which are horribly weak. AFAIK there has never been a 4 bolt scoop. I believe the original GT scoop from FORD has 4 bolts.

Then SAI tried to replace the two front fake rivets with bolts to hold down the front. It was at this time I contacted Doug and got my bolts. Very nice and accommodating guy. Is he still around?

It was also during this time a $200 voucher was sent out to help offset the cost of scoop replacement since there was problems getting dealerships to replace them under warranty. This was during the days of John and when he left is about the time the vouchers stopped and have never been spoken of again. (In fact I recently received an email from Chris Pessinis, Shelby Mod Shop Director who said it did not exist.) Not long after this SPP was established and took over the scoop and stripes. There were growing pains from SPP, SAI, FORD and the dealerships. We have come a long way from where we were a year ago.

Then there was the foam filler that is out now where an insert in put into the scoop, the scoop is riveted to the hood and the original bolts removed.

Now there is a fourth on the way according to Bud made of completely different materials which does not flex and peel up the stripes. This will be my last time to try the scoop fix.

Along the way owners have tried various methods to fix their scoops.

I was one of the first to try riveting the scoop and posted up about it on the old forum.

Another guy super glued his on and last I heard - which was some time ago - was happy with the results. I'm curious about now.

Chip Beck did his own scoop for his car.

Others have done various things.

My question if anyone can answer including Amy or any of the SAI crew is that when my scoop gets replaced will I or any owners get to keep the original scoop? The reason that I am asking is that I would like to keep my scoop and send it out for Mr. Shelby to sign it and it be a part of the CS history...... :rockon:

Anybody else feels this way please chime in....

Not sure if I'm supposed to have it but, my original hood scoop is hanging on the wall of my garage.

Not sure if I'm supposed to have it but, my original hood scoop is hanging on the wall of my garage.

Now that's what I'm talking about :yahoo: !!!! Maybe I should buy the service manager lunch if he'll let me keep the scoop.....in all seriuosness we should be able to keep them because we paid for them and it will always be a great conversation piece when people see it hanging in our garage......

Now that's what I'm talking about :yahoo: !!!! Maybe I should buy the service manager lunch if he'll let me keep the scoop.....in all seriuosness we should be able to keep them because we paid for them and it will always be a great conversation piece when people see it hanging in our garage......

I totally agree. This has been bothering me. I'm gonna send Bud a PM.

OK. Lets run down the scoops from someone who has been through all the changes. Having car #117 I was one of the originals.

Original scoops come with 8 bolts. 4 are visible and 4 are hidden under the hood insulation. They are bolted to loose tabs on the underside of the cast scoop which are horribly weak. AFAIK there has never been a 4 bolt scoop. I believe the original GT scoop from FORD has 4 bolts.

Then SAI tried to replace the two front fake rivets with bolts to hold down the front. It was at this time I contacted Doug and got my bolts. Very nice and accommodating guy. Is he still around?

It was also during this time a $200 voucher was sent out to help offset the cost of scoop replacement since there was problems getting dealerships to replace them under warranty. This was during the days of John and when he left is about the time the vouchers stopped and have never been spoken of again. (In fact I recently received an email from Chris Pessinis, Shelby Mod Shop Director who said it did not exist.) Not long after this SPP was established and took over the scoop and stripes. There were growing pains from SPP, SAI, FORD and the dealerships. We have come a long way from where we were a year ago.

Then there was the foam filler that is out now where an insert in put into the scoop, the scoop is riveted to the hood and the original bolts removed.

Now there is a fourth on the way according to Bud made of completely different materials which does not flex and peel up the stripes. This will be my last time to try the scoop fix.

Along the way owners have tried various methods to fix their scoops.

I was one of the first to try riveting the scoop and posted up about it on the old forum.

Another guy super glued his on and last I heard - which was some time ago - was happy with the results. I'm curious about now.

Chip Beck did his own scoop for his car.

Others have done various things.

So far my hood scoop (and related stripes) appears to be perfect (knock on wood). After reading all the threads on the issue I worry that some morning I will find it curled up like a slinky on my hood. I am not sure how my scoop is attached since I am anxious to touch anything hood related. Are there obvious indications as to what generation the hood scoop is and how it is attached? The car’s CSM number is 4450 and it arrived 9/11/07 after waiting several months for mods at Shebly.

So far my hood scoop (and related stripes) appears to be perfect (knock on wood). After reading all the threads on the issue I worry that some morning I will find it curled up like a slinky on my hood. I am not sure how my scoop is attached since I am anxious to touch anything hood related. Are there obvious indications as to what generation the hood scoop is and how it is attached? The car’s CSM number is 4450 and it arrived 9/11/07 after waiting several months for mods at Shebly.

I would think that you have the "4-bolt". If its in perfect condition, you are very fortunate!!

We are not supposed to be able to keep the defective scoops. They have to go back to SAI.

Well at least we know where the scoops will be going to...maybe if I put my vin # and CSM # under it and when they are finished with whatever they have to do with it they can offer to send it back to me....I'll even pay for the shipping and handling. SAI what do you guys do with the old scoops?

:ohsnap: Tekheavy maybe you're right they might need them back to melt them for new ones :hysterical2:

Scoops are one of the items that cannot be bought and the availability of which is controlled to reduce cloning. There is little SAI can do in the case of a wrecked or totaled car but these items are not for sale and if replaced (warranty or repair) are required to be returned to keep them from becoming part of the clone part market:

- Shelby GT door sill plates

- Engine plaque

- Dash plaque

- Hood scoop