TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drilling out hood scoop rivets?

What's the right procedure for drilling out the hood scoop rivets without messing up the hood?

Do you take a slightly larger drill size than the rivet and drill out the head on the top side of the scoop but only deep enough to remove the rivet head and NOT deep enough to contact the drill with the hood? This makes sense since it will cause a larger hole in the scoop but we don't car because it's being replaced. We just don't want the hood holes to get any larger to prevent having to go to a larger rivet diameter.

Right??

What's the right procedure for drilling out the hood scoop rivets without messing up the hood?

Do you take a slightly larger drill size than the rivet and drill out the head on the top side of the scoop but only deep enough to remove the rivet head and NOT deep enough to contact the drill with the hood? This makes sense since it will cause a larger hole in the scoop but we don't car because it's being replaced. We just don't want the hood holes to get any larger to prevent having to go to a larger rivet diameter.

Right??

Considering its still under warranty I dont think Id mess with it, unless you plan on replacing it with something else thats not covered under warranty. Let the dealer screw it up.

Right??

When I did mine I used a drill bit slightly larger than the inside hole of the rivet, drilled all the way through and they would come right out. The hood holes will not get any bigger.

Take a lesson from me though. If the post broke and is not recessed DO NOT TRY TO DRILL IT or the bit WILL skip out of the rivet and across your scoop and possibly the stripe. I know from first hand experience.

My advice is like above, it's under warranty so let someone else take the chance.

When I did mine I used a drill bit slightly larger than the inside hole of the rivet, drilled all the way through and they would come right out. The hood holes will not get any bigger.

Take a lesson from me though. If the post broke and is not recessed DO NOT TRY TO DRILL IT or the bit WILL skip out of the rivet and across your scoop and possibly the stripe. I know from first hand experience.

My advice is like above, it's under warranty so let someone else take the chance.

Oh, I plan on having the dealer do it. But he told me the hole will have to get larger if you drill out the rivets and that didn't sound right to me. I talked to one of our machinists and he said to take a slightly larger drill, center punch the head of the rivet and just drill deep enough to take out the head. Then punch the body of the rivet through the hole.

usually if you take a large drill bit and drill on the rivet head side you can get the head of the rivet to pop off and then you can push the body of the rivet out the underside of the hood without enlarging the hole in either the scoop or hood.

usually if you take a large drill bit and drill on the rivet head side you can get the head of the rivet to pop off and then you can push the body of the rivet out the underside of the hood without enlarging the hole in either the scoop or hood.

Ahh thats a good point I had forgot. Some of them the heads popped off and some went through. You have to be careful though becomes sometimes when they go through the rivet will adhere to the bit and just sit and spin.

Ahh thats a good point I had forgot. Some of them the heads popped off and some went through. You have to be careful though becomes sometimes when they go through the rivet will adhere to the bit and just sit and spin.

Did anyone have trouble with deforming the hood while drilling out the rivets?

+1 what he said :)

Archived