TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"How to" Seal your Dash Plaque (video included)

Grabber

O.K., done a bit more Internet poking around and came across some possibly-relevant sites.

The first two - this one and this one - discuss the effect of UV light on inks, paints, substances, and colors.

The third one focuses on protective steps to take.

These pages generally concern artwork, such as paintings, manuscripts, or photos in museums. But the principles pertain to the Sacred Sharpie Dash Plaque as well.

This Krylon spray being talked about in this thread is obviously a strong step in the right direction. But you may also want to get into the habit of covering that plaque with a cloth or cardboard shield if you regularly have the car in the sunlight where the plaque gets direct Sun exposure for extended periods. Sunlight is of course extremely UV-intensive, so if it fries the plaque for long periods, just the Krylon is probably not going to be enough. [And the coating itself may eventually break down.] Even if you haven't sprayed your plaque or don't wish to, taking that extra moment to cover it when you park may keep it pristine looking that much longer.

Michael

Edited by maquino

• 2 weeks later...

My dash plaque is sitting in my gun safe on its own shelf, next to the kick plates I have yet to install, and sees no daylight whatsoever...

Not very cool I know but I will eventually mount it, or just take a teeny part of the backing hiding the sticky stuff off and stick it on when ever Carol comes to town..., or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...
Mine came yesterday. My jury is still out on the sealer but my question is... How does this mount? Is it a peel & stick? There are no instructions.

Thanks for the excellent walk through here.

Rick

Yes it is a peel and stick. Once it's on.....it will be a real beeeotch ro remove, so if your going to seal it; do it first.

• 3 weeks later...
John,

The air bag cover is a different story. I have not seen anyone spray those yet. I would not want to be the first one to do it. That surface is different, and needs to be pretty clean for the sealer to stick.

I suggest you find a cover in a junk yard that has been blown off in a crash, and do a spray test on it.

This has been my concern for sometime now, Grabber you're right because of the different surface material I'm just afraid something may go wrong...I guess I'll wait until someone else does it on their visor and or airbag cover. So who's first.... :hysterical:

This has been my concern for sometime now, Grabber you're right because of the different surface material I'm just afraid something may go wrong...I guess I'll wait until someone else does it on their visor and or airbag cover. So who's first.... :hysterical:

I sprayed my visor mirror cover with Krylon Preserve it, followed by a few coats of Kryon 1309. It does leave a noticable seam, so mask off the cover as far to the edges as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the plaque from the children’s foundation, so all you get is a signature on the plaque, none of the vin number stuff. Anyway, I build models and I used the lacquer paint I use on my models, and the signature didn’t run, but spotted like what happens when paint or marker is not sticking to the surface properly, and this was a signature that was approx 6 months old.

I wrote to the children’s people and was told to send in the plaque and they had the signature redone. I sprayed the new one again, this time with a lighter coat and held the can further away. The signature still spotted, but not as bad.

On the mounting of the plaque, I mounted mine with Velcro so I can remove the plaque during car cleaning or dealer drop off. By doing it this way, I was also not going to have to worry about the signature being messed up during cleaning, but I figured I would spray it just in case of an accident.

I have the plaque from the children's foundation, so all you get is a signature on the plaque, none of the vin number stuff. Anyway, I build models and I used the lacquer paint I use on my models, and the signature didn't run, but spotted like what happens when paint or marker is not sticking to the surface properly, and this was a signature that was approx 6 months old.

I wrote to the children's people and was told to send in the plaque and they had the signature redone. I sprayed the new one again, this time with a lighter coat and held the can further away. The signature still spotted, but not as bad.

On the mounting of the plaque, I mounted mine with Velcro so I can remove the plaque during car cleaning or dealer drop off. By doing it this way, I was also not going to have to worry about the signature being messed up during cleaning, but I figured I would spray it just in case of an accident.

Next time use the Krylon like shown in this thread and you won't have problems.

Grabber, I will be be taking your advice on my dash plaque as soon as it arrives. I ordered it about 5 weeks ago. What I would like to know now is where did you get the power plug with the cobra on it? I've been looking high and low for that darn thing, but to no avail...Thanks.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Tinting the windows should help too.

Not just the sides and rear that is normally thought of. But many companies have "clear" tints that let high percentages of light through that ultimately look clear that are often put on the windshield. Clear to look through, but still block a high percentage of U.V.

The Solar Gard Ultra Performance 75 is one example. I'll post more as I remember all that I reviewed [have not installed anything on the windshield yet, just the side and back windows with Solar Gard Supreme 30 (driver and passenger window) and Supreme 20 (on the back sear and rear window)]:

http://solargard.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/...Performance.htm

There is a good link to the laws in the different states at the above site as well

Edited by skiph

Any chance of the Krylon yellowing over time with the same exposure to the sun as the dash plaque? Will it eventually yellow and crack?

If you go to Krylons Web site it specifically says:

Clear finish protects surfaces from damaging UV light rays.

• Permanent finish guards against fading

• Non-yellowing

• Moisture-resistant

Here's the linky:

http://krylon.com/products/uvresistant_clear/

Edited by Grabber

Where do you find this product? I worried the paint guy to death at Lowes this afternoon and he "ain't never seen none of that"...... Hardware? Hobby/craft? Auto store?

Thanks!

You will find it at a hobby or craft store. I think I got mine at Michaels.

post-11820-1228679755_thumb.jpg

As usual, Rob - this is just what I was looking for. I have been hesitant to do anything with my CS sig on my air bag cover.

I just got my airbag panel back. Based on recommendations from Shelby Automobiles and a good friend that is a very gifted autobody painter, I used 3M clear tape. I believe it is the type that is used for the "invisible bra" on the exterior. It totally protects the signature and that part of the dash. It does add a bit of shine to that part of the dash, however, so would any spray finish. The spray will not show on the dash plaques because it is a single item. The airbag panel is part of the entire dash, so to avoid any finish differentiation, you would have to clear coat all the dash panels. Plus with the 3M tape there is no chance of drips, runs or other issues on a larger surface. I bought the matt finish spray and tried it on several aluminum finished items and no matter what, it looked sprayed. The tape on the other hand covers the signature with one smooth finish. You just need to take your time and go slow to keep it straight and make sure you have no air bubbles. I think it looks great and I can live with a slight shine, knowing that Mr. Shelby's signature is protected for years to come.

post-11820-1228679755_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far my plaque is still in a drawer. I have been using black Sharpies for over a decade to mark oil and fuel filters on heavy equipment with hours and date of installation. I have noticed that the new sharpies do not smell as "toxic" as the old ones and definitely do not last as long. I have filters five years old on seldom used eq. with writing that looks brand new and filters that I did last year already fading out. Two years old and its almost gone. They are behind shields so are not exposed to sun, powerwashing, etc. No diff. between oil and fuel so heat is not a factor.

Is the "certificate" really the important part? If so, I'm inclined to not finish the plaque so I have the option of redoing the signature at some point in the future even if it does cover the "original".

Opinions?

It may be blasphemous, but when I say redo I don't mean redone by Caroll.

I guess what it boils down to is, is it more important to have a dash plaque that has faded out completely but you can say yep, that blank piece of Al was signed by Carroll Shelby (at one time), or have a dash plaque with a nice clear black signature on it (and a certificate to back it up, even if the signature has been "augmented").

I don't know about about everyone else but I am planning on keeping this car for a very long time and I do not have faith in sharpie ink lasting that long. Sealed or not. I do not have all the answers by any means, I'm just going off my experiences with Sharpies over the years.

I was one of the first ones to get a Dash Plaque and I put it on as soon as it arrived. Then all the talk about sealer took place. Several members applied sealer and the ink on Carroll's signature smeared. I was glad that I did not try that. Then over the next few months several members found that Krylon 1309 UV-Resistant Matte finish was working very well on the plaques if they applied it in 10 very light coats.

Well, I bought a can of the stuff last winter, and have been to scared to try it until today.

This is what my plaque looked like before I started.

DashPlaqueSealer002.jpg

Hi Grabber,

I have a 2007 GT500 and i saw you had a certificate with your from FORD SHELBY GT500....How did you get yours? I would like to get one for mine...Do I need to call Ford?

Thanks,

VENOM 7

• 1 month later...

has anyone tried another method to seal the plaque. like laminating it or something to that effect. i tired the krylon when i 1st got my plaque and it Smeared it. im afaird to do it again to have the same thing happen. i wish that they had put a special coating on the plaque after it was signed before they shipped it to us, because i know for most of us it means alot.

I have a video that consists of 10 clips spliced together of the spraying of each coat so you will know how to apply the sealer with out making the signature smear or run. The video is 3 minutes and 24 seconds long.

th_UntitledMovie4.jpg

I never did say that your plaque came out nice! Your plaque came out nice Rob. I just recieved a friends plaque in the mail today and I'm probably going to protect before install. I'm to chicken to try and spray the one that's already in my coupe.

The new plaque and door sill took less than seven weeks! They look Great! Thank you SPP.

Blayne

I never did say that your plaque came out nice! Your plaque came out nice Rob. I just recieved a friends plaque in the mail today and I'm probably going to protect before install. I'm to chicken to try and spray the one that's already in my coupe.

The new plaque and door sill took less than seven weeks! They look Great! Thank you SPP.

Blayne

Thanks Blayne.

It was scarey doing it, but now I would do it again.....no problem.