TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"How to" Seal your Dash Plaque (video included)

Grabber

Grabber: Two things: 1) Thank you for the information on sealing the signature dash plaque. I will seal mine prior to install, BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY 2) Where did you get that totally cool Shelby Snake item that is plugged into the "power outlet" right below the plaque??? I have been looking for something like that, and it is PERFECT!!! Please provide the exact information about where you bought it, part number (if you know) etc. Thanks!!!

Grabber: Two things: 1) Thank you for the information on sealing the signature dash plaque. I will seal mine prior to install, BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY 2) Where did you get that totally cool Shelby Snake item that is plugged into the "power outlet" right below the plaque??? I have been looking for something like that, and it is PERFECT!!! Please provide the exact information about where you bought it, part number (if you know) etc. Thanks!!!

Here's the link to the product. I bought the black one. The delux one might be cool too. It has a raised Cobra on it.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2005_power_outlet_plug.shtml

thanks Grabber for making this thread, i got the balls to try this again, an did light sprays and let it sit about 10min in between 7 times and it looked like it worked great, no smearing. so now all i gotta do is put it in the car now. thanks again for the post

Will be doing this this weekend, and am going with the Krylon...if Grabber will do it, it has to be ok. I did see the one post where someone used the clear bra on their air airbag cover, and said it worked ok. I had considered that, but I would like to see what happens if you ever had to remove it.

• 3 weeks later...
I was one of the first ones to get a Dash Plaque and I put it on as soon as it arrived. Then all the talk about sealer took place. Several members applied sealer and the ink on Carroll's signature smeared. I was glad that I did not try that. Then over the next few months several members found that Krylon 1309 UV-Resistant Matte finish was working very well on the plaques if they applied it in 10 very light coats.

Well, I bought a can of the stuff last winter, and have been to scared to try it until today.

This is what my plaque looked like before I started.

DashPlaqueSealer002.jpg

This one is not engraved........... :lurk:

• 2 months later...

Woo hoo, I just got the shipping confirmation email from Shelby... My dash plaque is on the way!!

I sent my airbag cover in last week, I was thinking about putting the clear bra stuff over it too...

For sure going to seal the plaque since I have a vert, and the top is rarely up...

• 2 weeks later...

Grabber - Nice Job on the plaque. I've been holding off on mine as it was stated to do this during warm weather and to let the sharpie ink dry completely. Just picked up a can of Krylon 1309 last night.

But - Can we get an update? It has been about one year since you sealed your plaque. After that one year, what have you noticed about the quality? Has the ink degraded or does it look like it did one year ago? Just looking for an update from those that have done this a while ago to see how well the plaque has held up.

Andy

Grabber - Nice Job on the plaque. I've been holding off on mine as it was stated to do this during warm weather and to let the sharpie ink dry completely. Just picked up a can of Krylon 1309 last night.

But - Can we get an update? It has been about one year since you sealed your plaque. After that one year, what have you noticed about the quality? Has the ink degraded or does it look like it did one year ago? Just looking for an update from those that have done this a while ago to see how well the plaque has held up.

Andy

Andy,

I snapped some pic's for you today. The dash plaque is holding up great. It still looks as good as the day I did it. :happy feet:

DynoDayatFastSpecialties042.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties041.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties040.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties039.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties038.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties037.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties036.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties035.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties034.jpg

DynoDayatFastSpecialties033.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good, glad to see it still looks like it did a year ago Grabber. B)

According to my wife, I was right near a Hobby Lobby today, but I forgot to get online and research what Krylon I would need (I knew the plaque was on it's way). :doh: Man, I must be getting old - I'm usually much better prepared and ahead of the game. :headscratch:

Had to go chase down the FedEx ground driver tonight, as he drove by because our gate was "closed" and he was "afraid he might let out some horses" that we don't even have. :rant2:

Anyway, thanks for the write-up Grabber. Looks like Caroll used a newer sharpie on mine than he did on yours. Cool, no 2 are alike. :happy feet: However, I'm gonna do mine a bit differently than you did - I'm gonna spray it BEFORE I put it in the car. :poke:

Not bad - showed up 4 weeks to the day after I ordered it. :woohoo:

Edited by bandit67

Thanks Rob. I am chicken to do mine but this helps.

Also, just an fyi, I only peeled the ends of the tape protection off and stuck it on just in case I ever wanted or had to remove it.

Good stuff. Thanks. When I ordered mine, i asked the shelby rep what can be used to protect . He said that 3m makes a bra film that is UV resistant. I havent researched yet. I wonder how effective it is and whether it matches this level of protection. Somehow I don't think so.

Well done Grabber.

Do you think having the signature "set" for the length of time that you did aided in the process? I'm wondering by letting it sit untreated for a period of time might just let the sig cure and resist running rather than treating it right away?

I'll probably do mine this winter, letting the plaque "cure" for about six months.

Hello!

Off topic....where did you get that awesome picture of your GT-500?

Also, who did all the mods for you? Located where?

• 9 months later...

used the krylon on mine about 2 years ago lots of sun on it and no fading for the plaque. Now the sun visors and black plastic trim is another story. (patina i believe that call it)

I did some testing with the 3m bra and a sharpie on aluminum, don't go there the sharpie came off with the clear bra in my tests.

• 3 weeks later...

I was probably the second person to get a plaque...only after Grabber! :)

I have asked about this before on here, and gotten alot of different thoughts. Outside of using the standard fishing line technique to remove it, and paint it off the car...I think I will continue carrying the `borrowed` Marriot handtowel in the center console for coverage on the odd chance the car is in the sun for more than a few minutes, anyway! Haha...

Bikeboy

• 4 months later...

Grabber,

I noticed you have the airbag cover signed as well, did you spray this part too?

Also how do you order the signed airbag cover from Shelby? I couldn't find it on their website.....

Thanks for all the good info.

No...do not spray your dash. It won't look right and I highly advise you leave it natural.

There is a link somewhere on how to order it. I will try to find it.

edit: Here's how to order one:

http://www.cscf.org/donating_autograph.php

There is some info on how to install it here too:

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Grabber

No...do not spray your dash. It won't look right and I highly advise you leave it natural.

There is a link somewhere on how to order it. I will try to find it.

edit: Here's how to order one:

http://www.cscf.org/donating_autograph.php

There is some info on how to install it here too:

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

Thank you. I think I will use a sunshade for the windshield and I was already planning on tinting the windows 20% all the way around so that should do it.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old topic but a quick question. I just got my plaque for my 11' and was wondering what everyone cleaned the area with prior to installing it. I have always thought we are supposed to clean the area to allow the tape to stick. I do not want to ruin the plastic by using a harsh chemical in case I wanna remove it at some point. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! I don't think I have the balls to spray it with clear, gonna put mine on and keep it out of the sun. I would cry if I got a run in the clear! Thanks guys!

I know this is an old topic but a quick question. I just got my plaque for my 11' and was wondering what everyone cleaned the area with prior to installing it. I have always thought we are supposed to clean the area to allow the tape to stick. I do not want to ruin the plastic by using a harsh chemical in case I wanna remove it at some point. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! I don't think I have the balls to spray it with clear, gonna put mine on and keep it out of the sun. I would cry if I got a run in the clear! Thanks guys!

I just wiped the area with a microfiber towel and gently seated the mounting. I also did not spray the plaque and use my registration card to cover the plaque from the sun when parked. Now that I have my windows tinted I'm a little less concerned about when parked, but still cover it if it's going to take some direct sun even through the tinted windows.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Time for an update from me as well. After much thought and reading everything on here - I took the plaque to my local body shop. We very gently wiped it off with a microfiber and distilled water and then he clearcoated it with the same stuff he uses on vehicles. It has been about a year now, and the plaque still looks perfect! Best part of all - he did for free!!

I do stick a 4X6 index card in the slot above it whenever the car will be in the sun just to be sure.

• 5 months later...

Followed Grabber's instructions to the tee and after almost a year it's PERFECT.

I do stress to follow Grabber's lead and do multiple LIGHT coats. I would also use the clear he uses as I have read of others doing damage.

His video will show you how literally LIGHT is. As always, Grabber has helped us with his skill, know how, and well presented instructions. Thanks Grabber!!

Edited by blacksmoke