TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement Driveshaft Information

That's a great write-up Steve did.

I'd just add that if anyone has ever seen what a car looks like after an out-of-balance one-piece DS detonates you will take all of Steve's comments to heart. One fellow with a GT500 felt a vibe on his 'budget' one-piece and decided to let it rip anyway. It came apart at the front joint and absolutely pulverized the bottom of the car, shattered the tranny and broke the drivers-side rear mount off the engine -- I guess easily $10-15K in damamge and your insurance isn't likely to cover it either.

Based on what I've seen I like Dynotech alloy shafts. They've been at it for 80 years and do the majority of the NASCAR team shafts and many many NHRA/AHRA/etc race race shafts. Their SGT and GT500 shafts come in 4" and 3.5" and weigh roughly 19lbs (approx a 22 lb savings.) Evolution Performance (site sponsor here) sells them for both cars (SGT is about 1" longer than the GT500's). Dunno of anyone who has had a Dynotech shaft failure either. I'm sure there are other good ones too, but 80 years of race shafts speaks volumes, imo.

Good luck with whatever shaft you pick and I can't overemphasize how important it is to resist falling for a 'bargain' shaft and, as Steve's writeup mentions, safety-hoops should be considered absolutely essential and any vibration should be taken seriously and relentlessly tracked down.

Dan

I have also been concerned about the quality of replacement drive shafts. I have also been in contact with another company, the Drive Shaft Shop, in Salisbury NC. They stated they make a 3.5" that is original and not a cut down Ranger Shaft. They are also experiementing with a 2 piece aluminum shaft to reduce NVH.

Less rotational mass means more HP to the rear wheels.

Thanks, I guess that makes sense. For this old geezer I really don't want my rear wheels spinning any faster. The darn car moves faster than my brain does these days. :dance:

I talked to a manufacturer about the alloy drive shaft and his feeling was that the weight savings was not that significant because of the small diameter of the shaft. He recommended a Chomeoly shaft, stronger smaller diameter slightly heavier. Just a thought...

Archived