TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For you Westbounders coming through San Antonio..

DubbsFaris

I am planning on leaving early wednesday afternoon(12-2ish) to be in alpine by 7pm...

I am staying at the Holland House Hotel...looks cool, and it has its own built in microbrewery...nuff said

(Thanks Sherri)

There are 2 ways to go- I-10 and Hwy 90

90 is 10 miles shorter and a MUCH prettier drive...

I-10 is going to be about 30-40 minutes faster...( 80 mph speed limits in west TX )

I really don't care which we go, since I can come back any way I want. Who is coming through San Antonio? Who are we picking up after San Antonio? Would 1 route be better over the other for some reason we aren't addressing? Yall just let me know...

I understand the CA and SAI groups will meet up with us in Alpine, and we will go on to Terlingua the rest of the way together...

Im just throwing this out there so we can start to get a plan together

FYI- the 90 route is going to be full of DPS....seems that homeland security doesn't have the manpower to patrol the borders, so all the border roads are crawling with DPS...

The best part is DPS troopers have to leave their normal patrol areas and do 2 week shifts in these desolate locales...

I say this because my company is building Hwy 57 near eagle pass, and the state troopers are so pissed about being pulled from their homes, they are pulling over my construction equipment inside the barricades of our own project...of course I have had those tickets thrown out, but they need a hobby! I got pulled over in a Lexus for no front plate...so be ready for that lovely citation as well...

Im not bringing this up to discuorage the route, just want everyone to know what we are driving into...

I suspect the big bend area is going to be just as active...so let this be a warning to all incoming members...

Vorpal, have you seen more DPS lately?

Dubbs,

I would like to leave SA a bit earlier so we have more time in the Brewery! Would like to head out of Htown about 7, late breakfast/early lunch in SA about 10 and head out. Where would be a good spot for the Austinites, you and us Htowners to meet up? I really do not care which way we go. I heard about the DPS down there so I guess there is no advantage going Hwy 90 over I-10. Does not matter to me but would like to get to Alpine early enough to check it out.

FYI- the 90 route is going to be full of DPS....seems that homeland security doesn't have the manpower to patrol the borders, so all the border roads are crawling with DPS...

The best part is DPS troopers have to leave their normal patrol areas and do 2 week shifts in these desolate locales...

I say this because my company is building Hwy 57 near eagle pass, and the state troopers are so pissed about being pulled from their homes, they are pulling over my construction equipment inside the barricades of our own project...of course I have had those tickets thrown out, but they need a hobby! I got pulled over in a Lexus for no front plate...so be ready for that lovely citation as well...

Im not bringing this up to discuorage the route, just want everyone to know what we are driving into...

I suspect the big bend area is going to be just as active...so let this be a warning to all incoming members...

Vorpal, have you seen more DPS lately?

DubbsFaris,

I would like to join the caravan to Big Bend from San Antonio through Del Rio to Alpine with Sherri, her husband, yourself and any other westers that prefer the scenic route. Will peal off early though, just made a reservation at the Gage Hotel (432)386-4205 in Marathon for Wednesday, September 24th.

Vorpal Bunny says the hwy 90 route is ~one hour longer than taking IH-10, much prettier and the most scenic route from the east. From Alpine you go due south on 118 until reaching Terlingua/Study Butte and then right onto 170 17 miles more is Lajitas.

Crosswinds/Speeding Tickets/Front License Plate

For those traveling IH-10:

* Do not drive next to an 18-wheeler any longer than necessary. On the return trip from Sanderson to Austin, the crosswinds were horrendous.

* While in Ft. Stockton, I was told that some Big Bend Open Road Race (BBORR) participants received tickets on IH-10 for driving 1 mile over the speed limit (80 mph day/65 mph night).

* After BBORR I received a warning in the town of Sanderson for not having a license plate on the front of my mini-van. Recently I installed the front plate mount on the SGT.

post-9205-1219465512_thumb.jpg

torquewrench1807

post-9205-1219465512_thumb.jpg

Dubbs,

I would like to leave SA a bit earlier so we have more time in the Brewery! Would like to head out of Htown about 7, late breakfast/early lunch in SA about 10 and head out. Where would be a good spot for the Austinites, you and us Htowners to meet up? I really do not care which way we go. I heard about the DPS down there so I guess there is no advantage going Hwy 90 over I-10. Does not matter to me but would like to get to Alpine early enough to check it out.

If we go 90, that means a detour to stop and eat in SA, and honestly I wouldn't leave my GT500 in many places on that side of town. 90 peels off from 10 and heads straight east out of town, I-10 turns north. Wierd I know.

Either way, i suggest a nice place called LuLu's Cafe off of Main and I-35, and it is about 5 miles out of the way all told. It is just north of downtown, and home of the best chicken fried steak I have ever had...they also invented using queso( melted cheese ) on it instead of gravy...their gravy is good too though. If you want breakfast, they are also the only place I have seen that has a 5 pound cinnamon roll...but they serve breakfast and lunch 24/7...it has a good parking lot that is visible from the tables...(at least some tables)...

I know people that come to visit and have to go there to eat...you wont be disappointed...I can give exact address and directions if that works for yall. 90 is still pretty much a straight shot from there and I-10 is too...

Im totally down for going 90...

DubbsFaris,

I would like to join the caravan to Big Bend from San Antonio through Del Rio to Alpine with Sherri, her husband, yourself and any other westers that prefer the scenic route. Will peal off early though, just made a reservation at the Gage Hotel (432)386-4205 in Marathon for Wednesday, September 24th.

Vorpal Bunny says the hwy 90 route is ~one hour longer than taking IH-10, much prettier and the most scenic route from the east. From Alpine you go due south on 118 until reaching Terlingua/Study Butte and then right onto 170 17 miles more is Lajitas.

torquewrench1807

You are more than welcome torque! Gage is a nice place! Yeah, it is a bit longer, but worth it IMHO.

I would rather go up that way and come back I-10. Im pretty strong on all those roads around big bend and lahitas, my company rebuilt them in the mid 90's-all through the park too, but its not easy to get lost there either...there arent alot of options...heheheh

Just be aware- cell phones may be spotty at best on the last 150 miles or so...

It wont be a bad idea to travel with somebody.

Archived