TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake/Wheel Noise?

Anyone know what the "chirping" noise i hear from my SGT on a slow cruise might be?

Not pad to rotor noise because i can ride the brake and it still chirps...Not very loud but annoying. :headscratch:

Seems as though steering from dead straight might stop it...everything is tight...car has about 2500 miles on it now.

Any experience on this would be appreciated.

I know of at least one GT500 that als has a high-pitched chirp coming from rear wheel/brake area but it only does it on turns (especially slow turns and slight or lock turns too). He's been trying to locate it for months but hasn't been able to pinpoint it beyond rear wheel/brake area. The chirp repeats with each rotation of the wheel and, similar to yours, foot-on-brake doesn't affect it.

I realize this probably doesn't help, but since the axle assembly is common to both cars (with minor differences) I thought if others are also hearing this chirp across models then someone might have figured it out by now. :shrug:

Dan

Anyone know what the "chirping" noise i hear from my SGT on a slow cruise might be?

Not pad to rotor noise because i can ride the brake and it still chirps...Not very loud but annoying. :headscratch:

Seems as though steering from dead straight might stop it...everything is tight...car has about 2500 miles on it now.

Any experience on this would be appreciated.

I read somewhere around here about someone who had a chirping noise. It turned out to be a bad axle. Ended up getting the entire rear end replaced.

'03-04 Marauders had a chirp from the rear end, turned out to be the emergency brake cable.

On the SGT, the emergency brake cable is routed through the lower control arm. Maybe a quick check for signs of rubbing?

Could be a bad differential too. There's a TSB (06-19-2) which says...

Some 2005-2007 Mustang GT vehicles equipped with the 8.8 limited slip axle may exhibit a moan/groan noise when making tight low speed turns. This may be more noticeable when the axle is at full operating temperature. The noise may also be confused as originating from the brakes or steering system.

The suggested repair is to replace the limited slip differential clutch pack.

Hope this helps, carry on gents.

I got in touch with the person I mentioned in post#3. Turned out when he put in his 3.73s he used an old friction modifier. He since drained out enough to add a can of new friction modifier the the chirp went away ...and hasn't returned.

Possibly there are multiple causes? :shrug:

Dan

I suggest several dragstrip or autocross runs to cure the problem! :lol: Sorry, I know I'm no help - but I hope you find the cause.

Thanks for the inputs...I like the autocross idea

How does the park brake work...does it have its own pads?

if so I have not tried dragging the park brake.

The noise is just an annoying little squeek i'll check some more.

Louder exhaust might help :drool:

Thanks for the inputs...I like the autocross idea

How does the park brake work...does it have its own pads?

if so I have not tried dragging the park brake.

The noise is just an annoying little squeek i'll check some more.

Louder exhaust might help :drool:

The emergency brake on these uses the disc brake, there are no extra pads. You might check to see that the rears are realeasing properly but you would see heat issues if not. Jack the pack and spin the tires they should spin freely.

Archived