TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lost Razor

drswiger

Had new gunmetal Razors put on 2 weeks ago. Driving down I-12 this am , rear driver side wheel comes off at 95 mph. Cracked stud.

Had the car towed to Banner Ford, where I bought it after I changed my underwear. Awaiting the damage report. I am guessing a hell of alot.

Damn man there was another post in the 40th area where a guy had cracked studs on his car and had to get them replaced as well. He had razors on his but they were installed at SAI. Perhaps this is a Razor related issue?

Here is the thread...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=32622&hl=

I saw that. i am pretty upset b/c just looking at it, I am expecting a large bill. The razor is trashed and the shock mount was bent. The rotor at studs-trashed. You know it is not going to be covered b/c it is not Fords product and the dealership didn't put it on anyway. So it sucks at huge whale d--k. My guess is $3000, plus new wheel. I am crossing my fingers, I am pleasently suprised.

Aty least you are OK!! How long have the wheels been on? Is this an issue where we should be checking the torque on the lugnuts every so often? I just picked up a new set of CS wheels and there is a notice right on top of the box indicating (In bold letters) to recheck the torque on the lugnuts after so many miles". Not saying this is what happened on yours. Glad your OK..

I saw that. i am pretty upset b/c just looking at it, I am expecting a large bill. The razor is trashed and the shock mount was bent. The rotor at studs-trashed. You know it is not going to be covered b/c it is not Fords product and the dealership didn't put it on anyway. So it sucks at huge whale d--k. My guess is $3000, plus new wheel. I am crossing my fingers, I am pleasently suprised.

I am not sure if things have changed but Discount Tire recomends you check the torque on the lugs on "new" wheels after driving 25mi. to make sure they are seated properly. Not sure if you had this done or they overtightened the lugs?

Ok, here it is......

Rear axle housing-trash

LCA-trash

Rear sway -trash

Rear rotor-trash

Rear-caliper-trash

20 inch Razor-trash

shock-trash

TOTAL-$4300

The good news- Will be covered by Tire Kingdom's insurance

Still sucks a big whale d--k!

Wow, are you lucky (that they're going to cover it) and good (that you could drive yourself out of this fiasco at 95mph; it is a testament to your driving abilities and the handling/stability of the Mustang!!!)

You need to be compensated for "diminished value" as well (or whatever the term for loss of value). A repaired car is never worth what it was. Be sure to ding them on this. It'll show up in CarFAX

I was close to losing it for a second. I tell you what bothers the hell out of me. This is an easy fix. There is absolutely no body damage or frame damage at all. just replace the rear end and a couple bolt ons and that is it. but, you know, I can't ever think when I got a car back from more then a damn oil change when I was happy with it. You know, it seems like when you have some substantial work done, these guys either half ass it or just outright mess it up. I just hope that whover works on it is one of those guys that takes some pride in his work. I know I can say that is how I have always been. It is hard to find people like that anymore.

Not to beat it to death, but have you gotten your car back from a tire place or whatever, and they have grease all over the place or the streeo is blearing loud on some station you never use. That stuff drives me nuts. God, I hope that guy doesn't touch it.

Ok, here it is......

Rear axle housing-trash

LCA-trash

Rear sway -trash

Rear rotor-trash

Rear-caliper-trash

20 inch Razor-trash

shock-trash

TOTAL-$4300

A lot of damaged parts, but it's not that bad. These are all bolt ons. I don't see any body damage on your list. If you don't have any, than that it great!

I was close to losing it for a second. I tell you what bothers the hell out of me. This is an easy fix. There is absolutely no body damage or frame damage at all. just replace the rear end and a couple bolt ons and that is it. but, you know, I can't ever think when I got a car back from more then a damn oil change when I was happy with it. You know, it seems like when you have some substantial work done, these guys either half ass it or just outright mess it up. I just hope that whover works on it is one of those guys that takes some pride in his work. I know I can say that is how I have always been. It is hard to find people like that anymore.

Not to beat it to death, but have you gotten your car back from a tire place or whatever, and they have grease all over the place or the streeo is blearing loud on some station you never use. That stuff drives me nuts. God, I hope that guy doesn't touch it.

I hope you're not going to let the tire place do this work?!

I don't know. I can tell you it was not the wheel or tire. When I looked at the rotor, I had one stud missing all together and 3 that were loose. What is weird is that the remainig studs were not striped. The threads looked fine. I would expect them to be striped if they failed. Seems to me, they were not tightened and simply came off.

Ok, here it is......

Rear axle housing-trash

LCA-trash

Rear sway -trash

Rear rotor-trash

Rear-caliper-trash

20 inch Razor-trash

shock-trash

TOTAL-$4300

That's awesome news that TK will pay, quick question, is the reason that they are paying because you bought a hazard insurance from them? If so I must keep that in mind for future tire purchases just incase anything happens.

BTW, if you have never had a wheel come off at 95MPH......it raises your heart rate a little.

How far did the wheel go?

This happened to my wife after midnight towing a horse trailer. Luckily the wheel hit the front of the trailer about 4 ft up. it was traveling horizontilly when it hit.

I imagine it was pretty scary for you. Any pics?

I am very happy to hear that you are OK after that little "adventure". The fact that the Shelby suffered no body/frame damage is great news and a testament to your skills behind the wheel and not panicing. Way to go.

Like the farmdog said, it would be a good time to do some mods to the rear end if they were in your plans.

Don't get hung up about what happened. You can't live in fear of the past. Enjoy the car and keep driving it hard!

I don't know. I can tell you it was not the wheel or tire. When I looked at the rotor, I had one stud missing all together and 3 that were loose. What is weird is that the remainig studs were not striped. The threads looked fine. I would expect them to be striped if they failed. Seems to me, they were not tightened and simply came off.

Sounds to me like three spinoffs and the 4th broke under the strain of being the only one left holding your wheel on. Just my thought on it...

If thats the case, they better pay for it...and I would demand the work be done by a certified SVT dealer...

Seems to me, they were not tightened and simply came off.

Bingo! That's why they are paying for it, also glad your ok.... lucking it was not the front could have been alot worse

Archived