TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cleaning SGT stripes?

Romancer

Hello again,

My Shelby GT seems to have some sort of gunk on the stripes that MAY be able to get taken out with a light abrasive. Do you guys have any suggestions? I guess my best way to describe it woiuld be sort of like concentrated tree sap. I can't remove it with anything I have here. Seems like something with a little persuasion may remove it. It has sort of discouraged me from driving it because of the condition. However I will drive it today if I can get some suggestions...drive it straight to the closest auto supply store. :happy feet: :happy feet: :shift::shift::doh:

Thanks,

Hello again,

My Shelby GT seems to have some sort of gunk on the stripes that MAY be able to get taken out with a light abrasive. Do you guys have any suggestions? I guess my best way to describe it woiuld be sort of like concentrated tree sap. I can't remove it with anything I have here. Seems like something with a little persuasion may remove it. It has sort of discouraged me from driving it because of the condition. However I will drive it today if I can get some suggestions...drive it straight to the closest auto supply store. :happy feet: :happy feet: :shift::shift::doh:

Thanks,

My suggestion would be to contact Showcar-he is THE MAN when it comes to cleaning/detailing questions and what is safe and effective for your particular issue

Many here have had the same issue with the spots on the stripes including me. Its more than likely acid rain and I dont think anything is truely successful at getting them out of the vinyl. You can take your car to a Ford dealership for a warranty claim. If approved, Shelby will send the dealership a new set of stripes for replacement.

wd-40 works great... p.s. is our stripes under warranty?

The warranty on the stripes seems to go by a case-by-case basis. You have to take your car to Ford. They will take pictures and info and send them to SAI. SAI makes the judgement call on the warranty.

...Evan...

wd-40 works great... p.s. is our stripes under warranty?

According to Bud SAI quote "And the scoops as with the Shelby installed componants are covered for 3 year/36,000 miles."

Bud

I'd say stripes are Shelby installed components.

Jim

This reminds me.... Has anyone considered having a paint shop do a shot of clear over the stripes may help? I realize this could be kind of sketchy but I was thinking it may help. I've also considered having it done on the Shelby stickers/mfg on the inside of the door jambs. Any thoughts there? I don't know if it would be possible or not.

This reminds me.... Has anyone considered having a paint shop do a shot of clear over the stripes may help? I realize this could be kind of sketchy but I was thinking it may help. I've also considered having it done on the Shelby stickers/mfg on the inside of the door jambs. Any thoughts there? I don't know if it would be possible or not.

It can be done, however it will make the stripes very, very, glossy, and because vinyl expands and contracts with tempature changes, the clearcoat would have to have just the right amount of flex additive in it in order to avoid it from "spider webbing" over the years. For the effort necessary to do all that, you would just be better off having the stripes painted on the car.

As far as the other decals are concerned, just cover them with clearbra materal to protect them.

For the effort necessary to do all that, you would just be better off having the stripes painted on the car.

My sentiments exactly..this is something I am strongly considering. Either that or removing them altogether. It gets annoying. Every little thing that gets on them leaves a mark. This technically isn't Shelby's fault, but I like to drive my cars and these stipes (as good as they look) are a big hinderance. If you park anywhere for an extended period of time and it rains at least a little bit, you are more than likely SOL.

Archived