TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Life and Marriage

motorjock205

Well, I received my TRT package today in the mail, and I had ordered an extra large Terlingua decal because I wanted to put them on both front fenders. Well, my wife has been saying that she doesn't like the Terlingua decals...mainly because she doesn't understand all of the history behind them, but she refuses to listen to me explain it to her...yes, she's Blonde!!! Oh well, I digress....I decided I had to see how the decals would look on the car, so I taped them on there just to see where I wanted to place them...she came in from work and about threw a fit, thinking I had already put them on the car....

Anyway, we agreed that I could put them on the car if I used the thin magnet like for signs...I have some and have cut it out and placed the stickers on there now and will attach them to the car whenever I'm going to show it or something...when she's not around...LOL

Women...can't live with them, can't live without them, and it's just plain against the law to shoot them.....

Well, I received my TRT package today in the mail, and I had ordered an extra large Terlingua decal because I wanted to put them on both front fenders. Well, my wife has been saying that she doesn't like the Terlingua decals...mainly because she doesn't understand all of the history behind them, but she refuses to listen to me explain it to her...yes, she's Blonde!!! Oh well, I digress....I decided I had to see how the decals would look on the car, so I taped them on there just to see where I wanted to place them...she came in from work and about threw a fit, thinking I had already put them on the car....

Anyway, we agreed that I could put them on the car if I used the thin magnet like for signs...I have some and have cut it out and placed the stickers on there now and will attach them to the car whenever I'm going to show it or something...when she's not around...LOL

Women...can't live with them, can't live without them, and it's just plain against the law to shoot them.....

Ahh Yes, It's great to be single!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

Make them magnets is a good idea that way you both get what you want.

MY wife and I have the same problem with my NHRA stickers. I bought sheets of magnetic material at Hobby Lobby and Michaels Crafts. I think you can get it at Jo Ann Fabrics on the craft side. I believe these are national chain stores. When I was predisent of a local 4x4 club, I bought material like this from a sign shop. It was more expensive than a craft store, though.

Funny, most guys can't even get the wife's buy off or justification! I think the stickers with magnets is a great compromise, but I agree with your wife. I do not believe in free advertising, and having a sticker the size of a beach ball on the side of the car (if it is the one I am thinking of) makes the car look cheesy or like a freaking cab. Subtle is fine, but yea, I gotta side with her!

Do what I did.................let her get her own Mustang. That way she can do what she wants with hers and you can do whatever you want with yours.

P.S. Then you can drag her....................kick her ass..................then take her home and you know what, man......what a great feeling. What's that dear? yes dear, I'll be there in a moment, I gotta go!

Actually my few NHRA stickers are on my truck. I don't wany my SGT to be a rolling billboard for anybody either. I do have the Team Shelby window cling sticker (Cobra picture) in the lower corner on the driver's windshield. I don't think that counts.

The comprimise we came to when buying my car was that she got her kitchen remodeled with granite counter tops and I got my 3 car garage fitted with an black SGT. I was actually at the dealership writing the check while she home watching the contactor tear out our old counter tops. After all, a deal was a deal. Now if I can just get her out of that kitchen long enough to bring a beer to the garage while I am admiring my car.............

Actually my few NHRA stickers are on my truck. I don't wany my SGT to be a rolling billboard for anybody either. I do have the Team Shelby window cling sticker (Cobra picture) in the lower corner on the driver's windshield. I don't think that counts.

The comprimise we came to when buying my car was that she got her kitchen remodeled with granite counter tops and I got my 3 car garage fitted with an black SGT. I was actually at the dealership writing the check while she home watching the contactor tear out our old counter tops. After all, a deal was a deal. Now if I can just get her out of that kitchen long enough to bring a beer to the garage while I am admiring my car.............

"Women not into cars should be in the kitchen" Quote from Steph

I'm trying to be polically correct. I do have a cool wife.

Glenn

Well, I received my TRT package today in the mail, :drool: and I had ordered an extra large Terlingua decal because I wanted to put them on both front fenders. Well, my wife :angry2: has been saying that she doesn't like the Terlingua decals. :nonono: ..mainly because she doesn't understand all of the history behind them, but she :redcard: refuses to listen to me explain it to her...yes, she's Blonde!!! Oh well, I digress....I decided I had to see how the decals would look on the car, so I taped them on there just to see where I wanted to place them...she came in from work and about threw a fit, :rant: thinking I had already put them on the car....

Anyway, we agreed that I could put them on the car if I used the thin magnet like for signs...I have some and have cut it out and placed the stickers on there now and will attach them to the car whenever I'm going to show it or something...when she's not around. :woot: ..LOL

Women. ..can't live with them, can't live without them, and it's just plain against the law to shoot them.... .

Ahh Yes, It's great to be single!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

If the car is not hers, then i'm sorry to hear she's :talkhand: so opinionated. My bride doesn't care what i do with my ride. :drop:

Smart compromise on your part though. :headscratch:

Funny, most guys can't even get the wife's buy off or justification! I think the stickers with magnets is a great compromise, but I agree with your wife. I do not believe in free advertising, and having a sticker the size of a beach ball :stirpot:on the side of the car (if it is the one I am thinking of) makes the car look cheesy or like a freaking cab :nonono: . Subtle is fine, but yea, I gotta side with her! :hysterical:

And the photos of your magnetic creation are where? You know the rules . . . . :D

Jim

Yes Jim, I know the rules....just had to get some time and wait for all of the Dove to get off of the power lines behind my house so I could get the car out without the Dove pooping all over it....

Here ya go!

TD1LF.jpg

TD2LFClose.jpg

TD3LSide.jpg

TD4LClose.jpg

I like them, I don't care what my wife has to say about it.....but, I do have the choice of leaving them on or taking them off since I put them on the magnetic sheet, and it doesn't mar the finish of the car either...or if I want to, I can even move them around to different places on the car if I want to...

The car belongs to both of us...we made that deal when we got back together following a 32 year separation in the 6th grade...LOL I still owe her a kitchen remodel...guess I'm going to have to get going on that...but I keep telling her all we need is a new Microwave!!! LOL

Funny, most guys can't even get the wife's buy off or justification! I think the stickers with magnets is a great compromise, but I agree with your wife. I do not believe in free advertising, and having a sticker the size of a beach ball on the side of the car (if it is the one I am thinking of) makes the car look cheesy or like a freaking cab. Subtle is fine, but yea, I gotta side with her!

May I politely suggest you research the great significance of, "That Sticker", considering the website and the SHELBY Automobile Club you belong to. "That sticker represents, allot to Shelby, Ford, Historical racing victories, along with the present day, Terlingua Shelby Cars. Along with Bill Neal, (life long friend of Carroll Shelby), the creator,artist of, 'That Sticker". You, may not want any , stickers, on your car, but please be respectful, of a GREAT symbol, of Shelby and Ford Racing, both past and present.

I would look for some static cling vinyl. A little thinner than the magnetic material and might work a little better.

Gary

I'm hoping that they don't blow off of the car at highway speeds....I don't think the static cling vinyl would hold up to highway speeds, but I've seen a lot of cars that use this magnetic material, and they seem to stay on well...now how well they hold up at triple digit speeds is yet to be seen!!! LOL

May I politely suggest you research the great significance of, "That Sticker", considering the website and the SHELBY Automobile Club you belong to. "That sticker represents, allot to Shelby, Ford, Historical racing victories, along with the present day, Terlingua Shelby Cars. Along with Bill Neal, (life long friend of Carroll Shelby), the creator,artist of, 'That Sticker". You, may not want any , stickers, on your car, but please be respectful, of a GREAT symbol, of Shelby and Ford Racing, both past and present.

Now, Now, I don't think SLB8SNK was trying to be disrespectful in any way...he just may not know all of the history behind this decal and the group of people that started it all way back in 1965...He probably needs to do a little research on the Terlingua Race Team and its history and he'll probably be an honorable (?) member soon himself....

BTW, I noticed this pic in the Shelby Newsletter this month showing Bill Neale putting the first known Terlingua Race Team sticker on Ken Miles' G.T.350 on 2/14/65

708_neale2.jpg

And now for the history lesson:

Take one for the Team: The real story behind Shelby's Terlingua Racing Team

By Sue Elliott

Published: January 10, 2008

Take One for the Team: The real story behind Shelby’s Terlingua Racing Team

Many of the most famous cars in the history of racing have worn Terlingua Racing Team colors - some intentionally, some not. Jerry Titus won the 1967 Trans-Am series behind the wheel of the first “official” Terlingua Racing Team ride. And hundreds - perhaps even thousands - of drivers in all forms of motorsports, from road racing to drag racing and even drifting, have stuck the now-famous yellow and black decal on their own cars.

And then there are the cars that wore Terlingua team colors unwittingly. “One year, Carroll Shelby and I were in Indianapolis,” says automotive artist and longtime racer Bill Neale, who’s one of the founders of the Terlingua Racing Team. “I think this was in’65 or ’66, and Shel’ said, ‘Let’s go down and put one of these decals on every car.’ We got one on every car except one, and that’s the car that won the race.

“So that kind of describes our race team. Over the years, it has operated on frivolity, graft, corruption. and partying.”

It Started with a Town

How did a serious racer like Carroll Shelby come to be associated with a racing team that has been called a “spoof,” among other less flattering things?

It all started with a ranch in southwest Texas. Dave Witts bought the 200,000-plus acre parcel, then he persuaded his ol’ pal Shelby to buy a big chunk of it in the early ’60s. We’re talking about an area that’s rugged, dry, hot, and inhospitable. It was largely uninhabited, and with good reason.

It also happened to be home to a ghost town called Terlingua on the Rio Grande River. During its peak as a mercury mining center, perhaps 5,000 people lived there. It also had played host to three different Indian tribes: the Kiowa, the Apaches, and the Comanches. “That’s how it got its name.” says Neale, “Terlingua means three languages.”

Shelby and Witts got a real kick out of owning their own ghost town, and they soon started tapping friends for membership on the Terlingua City Council and to fill other important civic roles. “I was the director of the Terlingua Museum of Modern Art, which there was none,” says Neale. “It was a two-hole wooden privy over a mine shaft behind the Chisos Saloon, and it had a sign above the door: Terlingua Museum of Modern Art. Shelby was chairman of the social committee. We had a district attorney and a leading TV personality on the council. We had one of the top judges in the state. We gave him a job as office boy.”

These people didn’t just hold honorary positions, either. They went to Terlingua to hang out with Shelby and “let their hair down,” as Neale puts it. Terlingua was a place to party far away from prying eyes. It was a great escape.

Then Came the Chili

Tom Tierney, who handled public relations for Ford, was part of the original group that hung out on the ranch, and he’s the one who came up with the idea of having a Terlingua chili cook-off.

“We started out with the first cook-off in November 1967 and maybe there were 100 people,” says Neale. “And we had 100 cases of beer and 50 cases of Jack Daniels. The next year, we had over 3,000 people, and we didn’t even want to have a second one. The Border Patrol estimates we had close to 15,000 people around 1972. It’s become a big event. People go down every year and make a fool out of themselves. It’s been called an ‘adult Woodstock.’

“Nobody was trying to make any money. It’s just a neat, neat event. We’ve had astronauts attend, U.S. senators, one of our judges two years in a row. We flew him down there, but he had to hold a chimpanzee all the way from Dallas.”

Like everything related to Terlingua, Neale says the chili cook-off is “just an excuse to have a good time.”

Then Came the Logo

Now, Shelby clearly enjoys having a good time as much as anyone else on the planet, but he also wants to do some good. The Carroll Shelby Children’s Foundation is a prime example of his philanthropic tendencies today. But they started long ago, as far back as the early Terlingua days, when Shel’ really wanted to build a school there for underprivileged boys. So Neale designed a logo - a coat of arms, actually - for the boys’ school.

He explains the significance of its now iconic symbols: “The rabbit is one of the few things that can live in the Big Bend. Rabbits, panthers, rattlesnakes, and coyotes. The rabbit is holding up his paw to say, ‘Don’t put any more peppers in the chili.’

“There’s three Indian feathers on the logo, and that stands for the three Indian tribes. These tribes were pretty ornery. They would make raids across the river into Mexico and come back and sell whatever they’d been able to steal.

“Of course, it’s got the sun in it because that area gets very hot in the summertime. It’s not unusual for the temperature to get up to 115, 120 degrees.

“And then up in the left-hand corner is the number 1860. Shelby said, ‘What’s 1860 for?’

“And I said, ‘That’s the first year they had a race in Terlingua. It was with the ore wagons, pulling cinnabar, which is what you make mercury out of. They had 18 wheels put on each ore wagon.’

“And he said, ‘Damn, Neale, that’s interesting. Where did you find that information?’

“And I said, ‘I made it up.’”

And Then There Was a Race Team

So first there was the ghost town, then the logo. The idea for a Terlingua Racing Team actually came later. It started with Lee Iacocca, then the head of Ford Motor Company, who asked Shelby to turn the Mustang into a Sports Car Club of America B-production race winner. Shelby and his crew were happy to oblige, creating a competition version of the GT350.

Since every race team needs a logo, Shelby asked Neale to turn that boys’ school coat of arms into the team logo - and so the first decals were printed up.

“Some of the greatest racers in the world competed in Terlingua Shelby Mustangs,” recalls Shelby. “Ken Miles was the first to put the ‘prancing rabbit’ in the winner’s circle when he won the SCCA race at Green Valley Raceway in 1965. Then things really broke loose when he introduced Jerry Titus to the team.”

Titus is likely the most famous official Terlingua racer, and he also drove the first official Terlingua Racing Team car. Not only did he rack up four wins for the team in a Shelby Mustang during the ’67 Trans-Am series, he also nabbed the championship.

Neale says, “Jerry was a bit of a maverick, and Shelby wanted his car to really show up on the grid. So I designed the paint scheme for the first car using the yellow from the logo with a black hood. And Shelby, when he first looked at my design, referred to it as ‘Gawdawful Yellow,’ and it kind of stuck. People still refer to the car as ‘Gawdawful Yellow.’ The combination of outrageous looks and serious performance in a car driven by such a cocky, talented driver made the team very popular.”

Going Underground

“We were a bunch of young hot rodders when we formed the Shelby Terlingua Racing Team,” says Shelby. “Most people think our group disappeared because we took our activities underground when my company stopped building GT350s and GT500s.”

Neale adds, “We loved to race and raced to win. And we’ve continued to quietly compete in events worldwide over the past four decades. Just look around at most motorsports events and you’ll spot Terlingua Racing Team logos. Through the years, new young members have been initiated into the group.” And plenty of drivers who were not affiliated with the Shelby team - other than in spirit - have adorned their cars with the Terlingua logo, too.

While the team was never an official Ford effort, the company didn’t exactly frown on it. Quite the contrary. Says Neale, “Shel’ would slap Terlingua decals on the cars at Le Mans, and [the folks from] Ford would look at ’em and just smile.

“When the publicity first came out on the new Ford GT, the first pictures they released of the red car had a Terlingua logo on it. And people really teased me about it. They said, ‘Neale, how did you get that logo on there?’ And I had nothing to do with it.” Clearly, the folks at Ford understand a little something about nostalgia and mystique.

A Brand-New Car

And here’s the really good news: That new Ford GT won’t be the only late-model offering from the Blue Oval to wear Terlingua team colors. You can look for a whole new Terlingua Mustang coming soon.

“Now that Shelby Autos is working with Ford again to build high-performance cars, it’s time to put the Shelby Terlingua Racing Team back into the spotlight,” says Shelby. “We asked Bill Neale, who was a co-founder of the group, to help us create cars and products for serious young enthusiasts who want both fun and performance.”

While Shelby Automobiles had not officially announced the upcoming production of these Terlingua Mustangs at press time, we were able to learn that these cars will go directly from the Ford assembly plant to Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas, where they’ll “get their indoctrination into Terlingua cars,” as Neale puts it. They will be street cars, but ones that are ready to hit the racetrack. A supercharged 4.6L engine will be available under the hood, and Neale assures us that “Shelby’s insisted on enough horsepower to scare you. I don’t think anything will disappoint any of these guys.”

Neale also designed the paint scheme. The new Terlingua Mustangs will be decked out to look much like the ’67 Trans-Am car. And you’ll have your choice of Gawdawful Yellow with black stripes or black with Gawdawful Yellow stripes.

“The Terlingua Racing Team symbolizes a time when racing was less structured and more pure,” says Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Autos. “It was a poke at the seriousness of racing by some people who had the clout to make such a statement. It’s time to bring that attitude out of the shadows and give the next generation of racers their fair share of the fun.”

In other words, if you’re looking for a vehicle that captures the irreverent lifestyle of what’s been called the “Shelby rat pack,” get ready to grab your checkbook.

(captions)

MUMS-070030-TER-03

Truly a cast of characters! The original Terlingua Racing Team included (from left) Tom Tierney, David E. Davis Jr. (then with Car and Driver magazine), Carroll Shelby, attorney Dave Witts, and Bill Neale.

MUMS-070030-TER-04

Shelby slapped Terlingua Racing Team decals on cars at Le Mans, at Indy, and here at Laguna Seca. Talk about guerrilla marketing.

MUMS-070030-TER-05

Plenty of friends came to Terlingua to let their hair down. Here (from left), Tom Tierney, Dave Witts, Dave Clelland, Harold Wynne, Carroll Shelby, a Goodyear executive, David E. Davis Jr., and another friend from Ford Motor Company are hangin’ at the Terlingua Ranch House in 1965.

MUMS-070030-TER-06

Jerry Titus rolled this Terlingua Trans-Am car during practice at Green Valley Raceway, between Dallas and Ft. Worth, during the third race of the ’67 season. Believe it or not, the team put the Mustang back together that night using body panels off a brand-new Mustang they bought at a local Ford dealership. This car was not only ready to race the next day, it actually won the race.

MUMS-070030-TER-07

Bill Neale with a ’67 Shelby Trans-Am car at Laguna Seca in the ’70s.

MUMS-070030-TER-08

Bill Neale is applying the very first Terlingua Racing Team decal to the very first GT350R ever to race. Ken Miles piloted this car to victory at Green Valley Raceway that day, February 14, 1965.

MUMS-070030-TER-09

During the second chili cook-off at Terlingua, in November 1968, Shelby and a friend (who just so happens to be wearing some of the hot stuff on his sleeve and, from the look of things, wiping it on his pants) were taking a break on the front porch of the Chisos Saloon.

Yes Jim, I know the rules....just had to get some time and wait for all of the Dove to get off of the power lines behind my house so I could get the car out without the Dove pooping all over it....

Here ya go!

TD1LF.jpg

TD2LFClose.jpg

TD3LSide.jpg

TD4LClose.jpg

I like them, I don't care what my wife has to say about it.....but, I do have the choice of leaving them on or taking them off since I put them on the magnetic sheet, and it doesn't mar the finish of the car either...or if I want to, I can even move them around to different places on the car if I want to...

The car belongs to both of us...we made that deal when we got back together following a 32 year separation in the 6th grade...LOL I still owe her a kitchen remodel...guess I'm going to have to get going on that...but I keep telling her all we need is a new Microwave!!! LOL

Steph just looked at your car and said it looks good. She likes it!

A funny thing happen this evening. After showing Steph the sticker on your car she reminded me that Robert Lane gave me a sticker when he was in Florida. I forgot about it.

I didn't know much about it till I read the story on this thread. I have a different view now on the racing team and the value of this sticker.

Ok, Steph took the sticker to the garage and put in on the Black SGT and you know it did look good. I was antisticker but I like the way it looks on Black.

How do I get 2 new stickers??

Here ya go!

TD1LF.jpg

TD2LFClose.jpg

TD3LSide.jpg

TD4LClose.jpg

I like them as you have them. Subtle but conveying the heritage inherent in that yellow jack rabbit. I have read several accounts of the story behind the whole Terligua thing. It sounds like the stuff of legends. Considering who was involved back then, it really was. I proudly displaya metal Terlingua logo sign in my office right next a framed 2007 Ford Showroom poster for the SGT with the bal;ck and white cars on it. They seem to go hand in hand.

"Women not into cars should be in the kitchen" Quote from Steph

I'm trying to be polically correct. I do have a cool wife.

Glenn

Do you think your Steph could give my Steph some lessons? LOL

Do you think your Steph could give my Steph some lessons? LOL

I'm sure she could. LOL. I have been blessed to have her by my side and in the kitchen. She can cook as well as put Seq lights and front lower grills in. With long nails she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

She is just awesome!

Glenn

I'm sure she could. LOL. I have been blessed to have her by my side and in the kitchen. She can cook as well as put Seq lights and front lower grills in. With long nails she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

She is just awesome!

Glenn

hmmm, now where can I find a hubby like that without the long nails :lol: I need someone to be in the kitchen and cook for me!!

Archived