TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Would you buy a GT 350 if....

Yes or no  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Gt 350 Option, blown 4.6, 6 spd, Shelby-GT body, $38,500

• Yessssss
    • No

I voted no with a caveat- that I could get a GT 500 at MSRP. Plus, I like verts.

Understood. I need a 'vert, too. There's no reason that can't happen, too. I have the same burning issue going on in my head. I will wait & see as the '500s ain't MSRP anytime soon and this car will (hopefully) be orderable at the time the Shelby-GT order banks open. So, no 'vert, no buy for me, but I got time. Time for the '500 to get to MSRP...or...or...or.or..orrrr..... :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Understood. I need a 'vert, too. There's no reason that can't happen, too. I have the same burning issue going on in my head. I will wait & see as the '500s ain't MSRP anytime soon and this car will (hopefully) be orderable at the time the Shelby-GT order banks open. So, no 'vert, no buy for me, but I got time. Time for the '500 to get to MSRP...or...or...or.or..orrrr..... :wacko:

I voted no because it's simply too costly versus the GT500 and some other cars too!

Again at 41,500K the gt500 has completely different, 2 cam, big bore motor, more revisions to the body work, Brembo brakes (those suckers are expensive!), etc.

Do I like the idea of a "small block" for lighter weight and weight distribution, and overall better handling - Yes! In fact, I'd prefer that! But ... value? no.

Maybe I'll wait for a boss 302. A regular GT also is 16K cheaper than your theoretical 38K GT350 - can do a hell of a lot of hopping up for 16K. (2006 GT premiums are a dime a dozen around here for 22K) They have real close 0-60 times even when compared to a GT500. The brand new twin turbo BMW coupe (I know its not that same thing as a muscle car) w/300hp and 300ftlbs goes for 41K nicely equiped. Vettes for 44K, lots of options out there! And... I'm a Shelby nut too!

I voted no because it's simply too costly versus the GT500 and some other cars too!

Again at 41,500K the gt500 has completely different, 2 cam, big bore motor, more revisions to the body work, Brembo brakes (those suckers are expensive!), etc.

Do I like the idea of a "small block" for lighter weight and weight distribution, and overall better handling - Yes! In fact, I'd prefer that! But ... value? no.

Maybe I'll wait for a boss 302. A regular GT also is 16K cheaper than your theoretical 38K GT350 - can do a hell of a lot of hopping up for 16K. (2006 GT premiums are a dime a dozen around here for 22K) They have real close 0-60 times even when compared to a GT500. The brand new twin turbo BMW coupe (I know its not that same thing as a muscle car) w/300hp and 300ftlbs goes for 41K nicely equiped. Vettes for 44K, lots of options out there! And... I'm a Shelby nut too!

Ford and Shelby have to watch that they don't price themselves out of the market, and to make sure that they keep the Mustang where it should be. If you lose the "bang for your buck" factor then all you have is a Chevy......heheheheh

I voted No simply because I have a GT500 on order. It sounds like a great car that I know many will enjoy.

When more GT500's are out there we will get a more real world look as to there value, and if they will stand the test of time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I voted "no" -- too pricey for 395HP. For 38K it needs to be 450 min.

The Shelby GT styling is nice, but give me power, handling and lightweight at a great price -- if that means it has to look like a V6 with no back seat and comes only in white, that's fine -- paint and trim items are relatively cheap -- I just want to pay for the real goods and at productions prices, not aftermarket re-spin cost ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

In a very few years Chevy, Pontiac and Dodge will be producing pony cars again starting at 400-425HP without a blower. For a big name such as the Shelby 350 they really should be looking at the newer 5.0 liter engine which has a base output of 400 HP, thus leaving room to build even more HP by adding a blower.

In a very few years Chevy, Pontiac and Dodge will be producing pony cars again starting at 400-425HP without a blower. For a big name such as the Shelby 350 they really should be looking at the newer 5.0 liter engine which has a base output of 400 HP, thus leaving room to build even more HP by adding a blower.

Good point, even SA's CS6 is 350HP! Yeah, I'd want a GT350 to be sort of Shelby's version of the Boss -- a road car, NA, light, unpretentious (no nav system and DVD BS, no sub [good CD/AM/FM stereo is fine]). A blower [follow-on] option to take it from 425NA to 600crank is fine, but an NA base is my thing.

Ford desparately needs a serious NA motor to bring to the upcoming gun fight -- I suspect that's why the details on the H/Boss are so thin. But even on a modular NA base, if Ford can bring itself to invest in a usefull intake, there's no reason why the old 4.6 Cobra heads and the right intake can't make a solid 425-HP or more .. Ok, and please give us the forged goodies and Manleys from the Cobra too so it's a base we can 'work' with ;-) Put Carrol's name on it if you want (<sigh> -- ADM city here we come!), but I'd be fine with if you call it an F100 :hysterical:

-Dan

Archived