TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3M Tape and "Mods"

Ok forgive me for this guys, but I have to get it off my chest.....

What's with all the stuff ("mod's") that have to be attached using 3M tape??? I mean seriously! Now look, i'm not complaining here, just would like some others feedback because I have to believe that there's others who feel the same way??!! To spend the $$ we do to DRIVE a piece of racing history like we do and "mod's" that have to be TAPED on??!!! REALLY??!! Further, to spend maybe another $1000 to get the few items listed below? The only interior Shelby item is the number plate and floor mats? We're talking another grand and I would have GLADLY paid that to have it included. If the dealer said the Shelby Package was $10K I would have paid it! But now, to nickel and dime my way through things that need to be there an to have to TAPE them on??? Not real cool. What are you thoughts about these items? And please, don't come back with telling me if i'm not happy, blah, blah, blah.... That's not my intent here. My intent is to see if others feel/think the same way I do about these.

I LOVE, LOVE, my Shelby, but doing that little billet ring around the shifter should have BEEN there! In fact, here's a list of items I think SHOULD have been there: (in order of importance)

1. 1/4 window scoops (no if's, and's or but's these SHOULD have been put on by SAI)

2. Billet A/C knobs, cup holder trim, light knob and mirror ring/controls, shift bezel

3. The billet Shelby caps under the hood

4. The inset on the rear faux gas cap (CS, Snake, Shelby, whatever)

5. The Shelby battery strap

6. Shelby GT dead pedal

7. The fuse box cover

Number #1 and #5 SHOULD have a much better attaching method than 3M tape.

I appreciate the fact that any of these products are made at all, and that we have a choice to put them on our cars or not. I don't see any of them as necessary or items that should have been standard. I guess I prefer a little less bling. The rear badge, center caps and steering wheel button would have been nice for better product identification, but even those items are a matter of personal taste. I also think that there is nothing wrong with 3M tape. Have you ever tried to remove an item that was secured with it? There are many circumstances when 3M is just flat out the best method of attachment, and it does beat drilling holes.

Ok forgive me for this guys, but I have to get it off my chest.....

What's with all the stuff ("mod's") that have to be attached using 3M tape??? I mean seriously! Now look, i'm not complaining here, just would like some others feedback because I have to believe that there's others who feel the same way??!! To spend the $$ we do to DRIVE a piece of racing history like we do and "mod's" that have to be TAPED on??!!! REALLY??!! Further, to spend maybe another $1000 to get the few items listed below? The only interior Shelby item is the number plate and floor mats? We're talking another grand and I would have GLADLY paid that to have it included. If the dealer said the Shelby Package was $10K I would have paid it! But now, to nickel and dime my way through things that need to be there an to have to TAPE them on??? Not real cool. What are you thoughts about these items? And please, don't come back with telling me if i'm not happy, blah, blah, blah.... That's not my intent here. My intent is to see if others feel/think the same way I do about these.

I LOVE, LOVE, my Shelby, but doing that little billet ring around the shifter should have BEEN there! In fact, here's a list of items I think SHOULD have been there: (in order of importance)

1. 1/4 window scoops (no if's, and's or but's these SHOULD have been put on by SAI)

2. Billet A/C knobs, cup holder trim, light knob and mirror ring/controls, shift bezel

3. The billet Shelby caps under the hood

4. The inset on the rear faux gas cap (CS, Snake, Shelby, whatever)

4. The Shelby battery strap

5. The fuse box cover

6. Shelby GT dead pedal

Number #1 and #5 SHOULD have a much better attaching method than 3M tape.

My comments:

1. I'm always surprised when some guys buy their cars and then, after that, complain about what the cars are "missing" or "should have". The car has whatever it has when you choose to buy it, it's all spelled out and clear, you can see it all in front of you, then you make the decision to purchase.

2. Not everyone would like the degree of "bling" you mention. For example, of the items you mentioned, I like nos. 4 and 6 only. I would not want the rest. Others will like more, or less. I think Shelby did a good job of choosing what and what not to put on the car, also knowing that they want to be able to sell other accessories later to guys that want it, so guys can customize their cars to their tastes.

3. You may have gladly paid another grand; I'm glad I didn't have to! Now I have an additional grand in my pocket, and can spend it like I want!

4. As for the tape, its just another form of fastener, and it works. The more holes you have in a car, the more danger of rust or water intrusion. The tape makes much of these items possible to install, where otherwise they would not be or would be a pain in the butt to install (drilling, screws, whatever).

Before I start bear in mind we ALL have our ideas and opinions.

-As for 3M tape I agree in certain areas it's nice and want no hole drilled and in others there needs to be fasteners and may even need the tape as well. I just wish it was not so hard to get off, especially that gas cap faux cover.

-Now for Shelby knobs, caps, etc I think what came on the Shelby GT was fine. How many times and places does it need to say Shelby. We all know it's a Shelby and too much addition makes the car look too busy and cheesey in my opinion. I saw the billet caps for under the hood and they may look ok but not for me cause every one of them says Shelby on it. So when I open the hood I see Shelby 40 times. Not for me.

-As for what should be on the car I think only a couple items. The rear faux gas cap should have been the satin silver cobra vice the chrome GT. I changed that. The rear view mirror should have been self dimming and maybe the compass. I changed that also. Other than that for what you pay I think it's fine. You can always want more but if added when built you pay more. Somewhere the line has to be drawn. The Mustang / Shelby was supposed to be the less expensive hot rod more could afford.

-This forum is similar to the C6 Vette Forum. They whine and complain about everything that should be or should not be on the Vette. I treat my Vette just like the Shelby. Add what I want tastefully but lets not make it look stupid and cheesey. To eash his/her own. :happy feet: :lurk:

As stated in my original post.... I wasn't "complaining." Note, that I said I LOVED my Shelby. I was merely a little dismayed at all the tape items. You guys bring up a good point about the hole drilling. Not a thought I was having at 11pm last night when perusing the Shelby Parts Catalog deciding how I was going to spend my $1K that I didn't have to spend when I bought the car! My scoops are being painted, parts (aka bling) are ordered and then I'll decide what goes on. I agree, the overage of "Shelby" items could be a bit much. I was attempting to have a converstation and thoughts shared that others who have used the tape may have. That was it. No complaints.

The bling.... That was funny! I can see your point there, but NOTHING says bling like those addictive fender stripes! :)

I think that the car is great-if I were wishing that anything were different when shipped (other than upgraded brakes and about 350 HP), it would have been the billet aluminum Shelby logo strut tower brace, engine dress up, and "berg" gas cap w/matching steering wheel center and wheel caps-that being said each of us can add as little or as much as we like. I personally think that adding all of the billet interior trim gets really gawdy. My car is a dream come true and I like being able to "personalize" it a little bit without taking away the Shelby essence. I like keeping my additions simple, yet reversible if I need to. I couldn't be happier as it sits.

Yeah I hear ya. I'm TOTALLY having this mental debate with myself. Some days i wake up and don't want to change a THING on it! I think she's awesome just the way she sits. Then I see some of the stuff some people have done and start thinking. I REALLY like the Deep Dish Bullit Rims that someone has on here. The fender stripes and CSM # are a MUST, they look way too cool and just adds I think to the exclusivity.

And I meant that in a good way Reino!

Whoa, good point Horsbyt. The fender stripes are the ultimate bling. Most people don't know what they represent, but they stare as if I had 22" spinner wheels on my car. Maybe that's why I really don't want anything else to make the car too gaudy. It's already the exact opposite of a Bullitt. No stealth here...

I have no problems with this thread, or, the opening post. It's your car, do what you want.

I didn't read anything that sounded like complaining, but I agree there is a fine line drawn between "bitching" and asking for input. It can be (and often is) misunderstood.

Moving on...Some of the stuff (bling?) I have added to LuLu is attached by 3M tape and not all of it was up to the task. Case in point is the brushed aluminum 1/4 glass panels (see pics in my sig). You see my second set here, the first set blew off on a high speed (100+ MPH) dash, so, 3M tape is not always enough. I added more 3M tape to the second set, and one is loose again. I believe the base problem here is that the panels do not follow the taper of the 1/4 glass, and eventually overpower the adhesion qualities of 3M tape. I am presently debating a third set, attached with something stronger (liquid nails?) because they are here to stay.

Some of the other features mentioned here do not allow a dynamic attachment. For example, the cup holder trim and AC/headlight/outside RV mirror pieces are just too small to be attached any other way. It has to be 3M tape, or, glue (which could be quite messy). Thus, if you want the detail (bling?), you have to address the manner of adhesion. 3M tape seems the easy solution.

I also dressed up LuLu's engine bay with what is available from countless resources. Yes, everything under LuLu's hood speaks "Shelby", but that is the attraction, for me anyway. I also added 4 point racing harnesses because I need stay locked into a safe driving position in the twisties. Does this make my harnesses "bling"? I don't think so, but it may appear so. I have plans to add a 4 or 6 point "jungle gym" roll cage. Am I "posing", or getting down to serious business with LuLu?

It surprises me how so many SGT owners dive into supercharging their SGT, but then do nothing with this potential. They brag of their Brake/RW power improvements, but never seem to do anything with it. I want to supercharge LuLu too, but I am very pleased with the stock N/A performance I have now. Just this week, I decided it was time to add a professional dyno tune to LuLu. Took me a year to end this internal debate, but after flirting with a 3.5 mile road course last Monday, a decision has been made. LuLu can be attractive in the pits, but she HAS to be impressive on the pavement too.

Y'all can discuss anything on your minds, I love it all. Just remember the fine line between "bitching" and discussion?

Y'all be safe, happy motoring, gents.

I did not perceive any complaining to be taking place, but an exchange of opinions only. I'm with ya on doing what you want to your own car (I had tiffany snakes on my 05 GT, gasp!) Let it also be known that my use of the term "bling" was only as a convenient term that I knew would convey the idea, since I was at a loss to come up with a better word. No negative implications were intended towards "blingy" cars or their owners. My apologies if anyone thought that's what I meant.

Archived