TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Daily Driver Experiences

thewheelman

Hey folks, I need some feedback on the GT500 as a daily driver. I'm looking at a convertible GT500 or a SGT convertible. I love the looks and performance of the GT500 but don't want to be beat to death by it on the interstate.....

Do you drive yours DAILY? I mean as to and from work, wallyworld, vacation, road trips, etc.? Please give me some daily driven feedback!

Thanks in advance!

Hey folks, I need some feedback on the GT500 as a daily driver. I'm looking at a convertible GT500 or a SGT convertible. I love the looks and performance of the GT500 but don't want to be beat to death by it on the interstate.....

Do you drive yours DAILY? I mean as to and from work, wallyworld, vacation, road trips, etc.? Please give me some daily driven feedback!

Thanks in advance!

I have the GT500 Coupe and drive it everywhere I go. Loving every minute of it. There are times that I wish it was a convertable but I sunburn pretty easy.

As a daily driver it don't get much better! Car is not in the "Turnpike cruiser" catagory by any streach of the imagination but is a blast to drive. It does need to be driven, the steering response is "right now", the brakes are very good, the suspension is firm but not unpleasent and the power very useable!

That said, it will not beat you any worse then any other car on mild to poor roads. Smooth on good roads. Undulating roads are felt as just that. I get 14 - 16 MPG depending upon the amount of blower whine I want to listen to :hysterical: (sometime it actually dips into the 12 MPG range).

Do it......you won't regret it!

Another daily driver here, and loving every mile of it!!!

This car is not only great to use daily, but it is also great for road trips. Comfortable seats, nice ride, and quiet with the windows up. Sure it could be more loud and handle a bit crisper, but the factory formula I think is a great starting point that most will be pleased with and those that are not can tighten up or power up as deemed necessary. The mod bug has not bitten me yet because I love the car the way it is but I won't be able to resist too much longer!!!!

You will not regret it!!!!!

I drive to and from downtown LA on the 5 freeway, and anyone who has driven that freeway knows it is utter crap. The car rides great on it, maneuvers well through traffic, has the power needed to pass other cars (supercharger screaming, speed at an unnecessary level...muhahahahhaha!) I LOVE this car as a daily driver! :happy feet: :rockon::yahoo::wub:

Thanks in advance!

THE 500 IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE SGT. i HAVE HAD THEM BOTH.

THE 500 IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE SGT. i HAVE HAD THEM BOTH.

If your looking for a daily driver the suspension on the 500 isn't as stiff or low as the SGT. I drive mine to work (80 miles round trip about 1 a week) and I get over 18 MPG just cause I can't resist getting to 60 as fast as possible or should I say as fast as traction allows.

Another daily driver here, and loving every mile of it!!!

This car is not only great to use daily, but it is also great for road trips. Comfortable seats, nice ride, and quiet with the windows up. Sure it could be more loud and handle a bit crisper, but the factory formula I think is a great starting point that most will be pleased with and those that are not can tighten up or power up as deemed necessary. The mod bug has not bitten me yet because I love the car the way it is but I won't be able to resist too much longer!!!!

You will not regret it!!!!!

+1

I work from home, but drive the GT500 95% of the time, including x-country. I have 16k+ miles in 10 months.

Great car in all conditions. I do not feel as safe or as in control in "normal" cars anymore. Plus, it's just a blast to drive. I end up with a big SEG on my face on a regular basis.

My only comment is if you spend a lot of time in "stop-and-go" conditions, an automatic transmission may be a better bet. That is true for any car - a clutch is not happy driving 1/2 block at a time.

My GT500 is my daily driver and lowered with Eibach Pro springs. I wouldn't have it any other way. EVERY TIME I walk out to my car my heart beats faster. With 25 mile round trip city driving I was averaging 19 MPG with the mods before Congress decided to force 10% ethanol on us. Now I get 16 MPG. Nice... :banghead:

Kind of a semi daily driver to me; I drive it to work 2 days a week on average. I find it to be a great daily driver and also great on long distance trips, as the suspension is sufficiently compliant for daily use, the seats are comfortable and with stock exhausts (which I do have)noise level is very reasonable. I did a few of those long trips over the past couple of years, some with passengers that would complain about the comfort level of my other ride (Audi S4). Nobody complains about my GT500.

Great car in all conditions. I do not feel as safe or as in control in "normal" cars anymore. Plus, it's just a blast to drive. I end up with a big SEG on my face on a regular basis.

+1 to the above. After driving my GT500, every other car feels like mush - although comparing them to a Shelby GT500 is not really being fair to the other cars on the road.

I love driving this car any where and everywhere I can. Even after a cruise around town, I'm thinking about somewhere else I can go before putting it away for the day.

I am most surprised about the driveability of the car in stop-and-go traffic downtown. Once you control the clutch chatter, and have done your daily clutch hold and release exercises, it is so manageable in traffic. Steering, braking, clutch and shifting becomes effortless.

The only down-side I would mention is the heat put out of the engine bay. Everthing under the hood becomes very hot to touch.

As well, you can really feel the heat transfer through the firewall to the underside of the dash to the footwells. At highway speeds, things cool down on it's own (with the vert top down). In city traffic, I'll turn the A/C on to the footwell fans.

Despite this, the cooling system is doing it's job, in either case, the temp gauge never varies.

On the choice of coupe or vert - verts are cool with the top down, but there is some body shudders over uneven pavement. On hot sunny days, keep the car moving. As soon as you stop for a traffic light, it becomes a roaster, and you'll be the main course at dinner time!

shelby_1.jpg

Thanks folks for all your input! From here and other forums I'm feeling like the gt500 may be the way to go. It sounds like the 500 suspension may be a little more compliant than the sgt's? I'd prefer an automatic simply for the ease of driving, but the 6 speed certainly puts some more fun into the commute! My wife drives about 8 miles round trip a day and I drive about 10....except when I'm going to job sites, etc. She'll be the primary driver and is a competent straight shift driver.... We'll just have to see what happens when I show them the money!

Thanks again!

Not as good as the regular GT, but I believe better than the SGT since it's lowered. You'll hear that many of us have bought spare front splitters due to frequent contact with those evil parking blocks. Mine's looking a little rough, and I only have 2000 miles on my car...

Not as good as the regular GT, but I believe better than the SGT since it's lowered. You'll hear that many of us have bought spare front splitters due to frequent contact with those evil parking blocks. Mine's looking a little rough, and I only have 2000 miles on my car...

Lance,

I bought a spare, but my original is still flawless with 4862 miles on it. :happy feet: However my car is grounded due to this:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=32594&hl=

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'm in the market to buy a 2007 Shelby GT500 and I'm planning on using it as my daily driver. The only reason I'm debating is because I'm afraid of someone getting jealous and keying it or breaking into it. As of right now I drive a 2005 V6 mustang and it's one of the nicest cars on the lot, but nothing as happened to it...yet. If I decide to buy the GT500 then I'm going to be THE nicest, most expensive car on the lot.

Hey I'm in the market to buy a 2007 Shelby GT500 and I'm planning on using it as my daily driver. The only reason I'm debating is because I'm afraid of someone getting jealous and keying it or breaking into it. As of right now I drive a 2005 V6 mustang and it's one of the nicest cars on the lot, but nothing as happened to it...yet. If I decide to buy the GT500 then I'm going to be THE nicest, most expensive car on the lot.

YOu could do like I did when I had my '05. Park it where you can see it from your office

IMG_2711.jpg

YOu could do like I did when I had my '05. Park it where you can see it from your office

I wish I could, but our office window is at a tangent from our parking lot. I know for a fact a car cover brings a hell of a lot of attention to your car and parking out the middle of nowhere does as well. Should I wait and buy another car? I'm thinking of the long the lines of a 1994 Mustang GT.

I've driven several VERY attractive and VERY noticeable convertibles in my day, the GT 500 being by far the most expensive and unique, and have had only 1 incident of vandalism. That's just waaaaaay down on my worry list. That's why I carry insurance! Drive it! Enjoy!

Archived