TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs Terminator

zhb353

:hysterical:

All this bs about it's 'much' lighter, and ' gt500 is 300lbs heavier'. BS everyone!!!

The term coupe is 3665, the gt500 with base Shaker is 3850............that's 185 lbs diff..........the Terms were heavy too...................extreme pig compared to the old Fox bodies....................were the Fox guys cutting the terms up back then as you term guys cut up the gt500 ????

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hysterical:

All this bs about it's 'much' lighter, and ' gt500 is 300lbs heavier'. BS everyone!!!

The term coupe is 3665, the gt500 with base Shaker is 3850............that's 185 lbs diff..........the Terms were heavy too...................extreme pig compared to the old Fox bodies....................were the Fox guys cutting the terms up back then as you term guys cut up the gt500 ????

Displacement cu in (cc): 330 (5409)

Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 500(373) / 6000

Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 480(651) / 4500

Redline at RPM: 6250

Brakes & Tires

Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc

Tires F-R: 255/45 ZR18 - 285/40 ZR18

Driveline: Rear Wheel Drive

Exterior Dimensions & Weight

Length × Width × Height in: 187.6 × 73.9 × 54.5

Weight lb (kg): 3920 (1780)

Performance

3920 but who's counting. Yes, the Terminators were heavy too, but the GT500 is downright porky. And for the record, the "fox" guys were cutting the Terminator's weight when it was introduced. I was one of them.

Displacement cu in (cc): 330 (5409)

Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 500(373) / 6000

Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 480(651) / 4500

Redline at RPM: 6250

Brakes & Tires

Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc

Tires F-R: 255/45 ZR18 - 285/40 ZR18

Driveline: Rear Wheel Drive

Exterior Dimensions & Weight

Length × Width × Height in: 187.6 × 73.9 × 54.5

Weight lb (kg): 3920 (1780)

Performance

3920 but who's counting. Yes, the Terminators were heavy too, but the GT500 is downright porky. And for the record, the "fox" guys were cutting the Terminator's weight when it was introduced. I was one of them.

Well,

I have the heaviest of the crowd coming, 'cause I ordered a convertible.

Doesn't make it any less of a Cobra.

Can't we all just enjoy the particular Stang we chose, and worry about kicking the Chevy and DCX butts, instead of bashing each other?

Mike.

I'm an old fart (52) in his third or fourth mid-life crisis who can't wait to get his Shelby so he can baby it. I can barely afford it; I'm sure as hell not going to abuse it . Hell, I might ask to be buried in it (hopefully not for another forty years). I have a 96 - not a terminator--but I love it and I've taken extremely good care of it. Before that I owned a 89 GT; almost cried when I sold it. I almost bought a 03 Cobra, but wouldn't pay ADM--thought it was cool car then, still do. Love Mustangs--hate camaros (sorry Terry1234-don't mean to sound like EC--love the Broncos--hate the Raiders it's that kind of deal).

Never surprised but always disappointed in EC's negativity and attempts to flame.

I'm an old fart (52) in his third or fourth mid-life crisis who can't wait to get his Shelby so he can baby it. I can barely afford it; I'm sure as hell not going to abuse it . Hell, I might ask to be buried in it (hopefully not for another forty years). I have a 96 - not a terminator--but I love it and I've taken extremely good care of it. Before that I owned a 89 GT; almost cried when I sold it. I almost bought a 03 Cobra, but wouldn't pay ADM--thought it was cool car then, still do. Love Mustangs--hate camaros (sorry Terry1234-don't mean to sound like EC--love the Broncos--hate the Raiders it's that kind of deal).

Never surprised but always disappointed in EC's negativity and attempts to flame.

You have a 96? Nice! That was the first year of the 4-Cam 4.6 Mod Motor if I'm not mistaken. I had a Kenne Bell blown 98 with 4.10's (very quick), a 2001 Cobra (lemon law bought it back) and finally a 2003 Cobra which I loved before getting the Saleen. I still have my 90 LX with a Cobra transplant, Vortech t-trim, Cams, etc... and yes, it is light! I think it's like 3250. Keep that 96.. that is a pivotal car!

Thanks for the info fastback...I'm behind a bit being a 1st gen Camaro guy all these years.

Dave, it's so cool that you're here now too! ...and that is one sweet DZ you have there in the garage ;)

Actually, I know the old cars and the '01 Cobra fairly well, but the Terminators, while fast, I hadn't paid that much attention to because the iron block (like the GT500) makes them more nose heavy than the '01 Cobra, so I never considered getting an 03/04 -- but they are quick, and easy to kick-up, and certainly the HP high-water mark until the GT500.

I also really like this new S197 styling much better than any of the more bulbous SN95s because the front wheels are finally back up front <lol> where they belong on a pony car IMHO. I also kinda wanted to see the engine pulleys back over the front wheel centerline<!> even further back than in the 65/66s. Maybe the '09 will move that a bit more for WD, but I doubt we'll see major changes like that.

Actually, Ford did move the engine back a bit relative to the front wheels, but 6" more would have been really nice! <lol> They apparently decided to use the space mostly for improved rear seat room, much improved front legroom and much improved firewall-to-front-seat-back distance -- hard to complain about that since the SN95 driving/pedals/seat position was just too compromised for my taste for serious road driving -- it's why I sold my '01 Cobra.

I just lament the lack of at least ONE S197 mustang with IRS -- that will get fixed in '09 almost certainly (Camaro and Challenger are both IRS) with the slick purpose-built Dana unit (like in the Aussie GT-P) or a variation of the Explorer IRS (also a rumor).

Guess that's why the prospect of new Boss302/? is so exciting -- a real curve-carver NA S197 mustang would be a blast. Love the drags too -- going to NHRA Las Vegas finals in Oct -- woohoo! ...but would LOVE to see a real manufacturers SCCA Trans-Am series return in the near future :)

Hmmm, you didn't ask about any of that, did ya? <lol> Just the result of a rainy day here in NY I guess ;-)

:shift:

Saw an '04 Cobra at the Mustangs Unlimited car show and he had a dyno sheet reporting 650+ HP, very impressive!! I am selling my '72 Fastback (520HP 351C) that I've owned for 19 years to make room for a new GT500 because I am so impressed with these new Mustangs, and I agree with Caroll Shelby when he says that THIS is the new golden age of musclecars. It is my opinion that the '07 GT500 is the true "King of the Road."

Amen!

What's funny is, if Ford stuck a $1.00 SHELBY emblem on them, people here wold pay $60k for them. That's a pretty negative review and full of BS btw. Spitting out half shafts at SIX HUNDRED HORSEPOWER yes, much like the GT500's piece of shit driveshaft. Your "review" is biased as hell.

I notice you leave things like the Manley H-Beam rods out of your term review, since your GT500's achillies heel is its rods.

What a hilarious thread. What a bunch of NON Mustang fans. "What's a Cobra look like?". Un freaking believeable.

The GT500 will NEVER make its mark like the 03/04 Cobra did because 90% of them are owned by a bunch of old men in their late-life crisis who will treat them like collectibles and "baby" them.

I like how you act like no one wanted them. THIRTEEN THOUSAND WERE SOLD IN 2003 ALONE

God I'm beginning to hate GT500 snobs who think all other Mustangs suck and the GTR500 is the holy grail. It weighs 3900 lbs. It will never be the ultimate Mustang.

Keep thinking every other Mustang on the road is a piece of shit. I'm going to to quit driving my 07 GT for awhile and get back in my 92 "5.0" for and put a few bus lengths on some GT500's to teach you guys some humility. My 92' has a full MM suspension, a Paxton NOVI 2000 @ 16 PSI on a 331 stroker, a Viper-spec t56, and 03 Cobra brakes.

My money's on the table.... I', sure your GT500 will spank me since afterall it was forged by the Hand of God.

You make your point as delicately as ever, Chris! :hysterical:

lighten up a little, brother...

you will enjoy life more, and it will add years to your life!

While I enjoy this medium - it does lend itself to supersized loads of B.S.

Where I'm from - money talks and B.S. walks.

On any Internet site - anyone can claim to be anyone or anything they like - without fear of confrontation.

Line up - or shut up? :hysterical:

The Evil one has many good points. Many seem to like him when he makes points in his special way in their favor....and then seem to not like him when his points are against them. A little different view in many cases but often based on facts and clearly he is a knowledgable guy....maybe not a Jetsolver but I would say in the upper level of knowledge on the boards and when he speaks out it more often than not is with some factual information.

I don't care for the look of the Terminator but love the output of power. I also don't fit well into thatbody style so my choice seems to be made for me - but if I was a few inches shorter and a few pounds lighter then it may be a really tough choice. I just hope the Shelby follows in the terminators footsteps regarding pricing over 2 years...I am certain they will in modification and power output - although I do believe more will be held in a garage under a cover as an investment than the Terminator....at least until something else comes out with more power or less weight....or God help us both :)

No problem CC...if we all liked the same thing, this world would be pretty boring. I'm watching the Broncos right now...0-0 as we speak. If they lose, I win the Sunday pool....$250. Go Patriots!!

Dave

You know, I watched this thread for a couple days, waiting for it to turn into something like this. I knew at some point someone would start bagging on the 03-04 Cobra (of which I am a proud owner). I waited for a bunch of mis-information and how they are so vastly inferior to the current permutation of an SVT Cobra.

Man my waiting wasn't wasted.

Everyone got on EvilChris for a rebuttle to a very insulting, and frankly wrong assesment of the 03-04 Cobra, arguably the best Cobra to date, which the GT500 is hopefulyl going to carry forward in the spirit of the Cobra heritage. It's the first Cobra to get 390+hp out of the box, for a reasonable price. It's also the pre-cursor to the GT500 and I thought at least some of you would have a little more respect.

So I felt Chris's response to this thread was completely well founded, worded, and otherwise necessary. I visit this board, an 04 Cobra owner, and specifically this forum because it gives me a taste of what it was like when I waited for my Cobra, when I was sitting there with the VIN# in hand and all the other crap going on in here. I don't remember however, at the board www.blueovalnews.com the 03-04 owners taking a moment to piss all over the 01 and under Cobra owners.

We had a little more class.

I think some of you need to get off of your high horse, and stop making this car in particular the Holy Grail/Arc of the Covenent on wheels. It's an overpriced (you all know it should retail for 40k TOPS for a coupe, more for convertible) Ford Mustang at the end of the day. Sure it's got great styling, but you know what? So does my lowly 2004 Cobra that has never lost to anything but a Viper, but I guess anything but the Shelby Cobra GT500 is just a little mistake on the path to ultimate vehicular achievement.

So, nice brotherhood guys!! Way to become part of the Mustang crowd, and a community I have been a part of since I owned a 5.0 Lx Mustang in 1993.

The saddest part about this thread, is that none of you even seem to get 'it'. This isn't the Mustang community I know, this is some elitest bullshit, any way you slice it.

:rant::rant::rant:

Dropping Chronic

Although you made alot of good points ,I think you are wrong when you said this isn`t a Mustang community. Yes there are a`FEW` that argue back & forth re- what Mustang is better , but the majority of us are interested in all Mustangs from 641/2` to 2007.`There are alot of knowledgable people on this site regarding MUstangs . Just my 2cnt`s.

Having technical information is one thing.

But there's more to it than that.

What takes class is giving that information in such a way as to not alienate of offend anyone - or come across as arrogant.

Some of us have those qualities - other's here do not.

I respond/reply to those that do - and do not reply to those that don't.

This is more than just numbers - it's respect and -- maturity.

zhb353, thanks for the comparison on the Terminator vs GT500. I've been scarce around here awhile, but after reading this thread, just thought I would like to add my 2 cents....

Bone stock with sticky tires, a GT500 coupe will have about a 3 to 4 tenths of a second advantage in a 1/4 mile drag race over a Terminator. Handling is very comparable between the two (IRS or the 3-link solid axle behave about the same in the twisties).

The Terminators are a very profound part of Mustang history. Rated at 390hp, but we all know they made 425hp stock. Typical weight was 3,550 to 3,650 lbs depending on options. Typical selling price when first released in April 2002 was around MSRP ($34K-$35K) with some dealers adding ADM's, but many not adding ADM's. By the end of 2003 a new Terminator could easily be had for less than MSRP, and with rebates on the verts they were well below MSRP. 2004 saw demand drop off as the 2005 Mustang concept car had already been shown to the world and many chose to wait for the S197 body style Cobra. 2004 Cobra coupes could easily be had in the $29K-$31K by year end, making it one of the best performance bargains in history. Two years later, that same money barely buys you a moderately equipped 300hp Mustang GT!

I absolutely love the GT500, but leave off the Shelby name and it is just a simple evolution of the 2003-4 SVT Cobras. Would have been a lot less money without the Shelby name on it, too, and would have still been one helluva performance icon for decades to come! 3,920 lbs is a heavy car, as Evil Chris pointed out. In fact, it's rather porky! What's going on here? S197's have ballooned up much like the 1971's did. My 2000 Mustang GT coupe weighed 3,180 lbs. My 2003 Mustang Mach 1 weighs 3,380 lbs. Now we're over 4,000 lbs for a GT500 coupe with some options! Yeah, it's cool that there's 500hp on tap, but it literally needs the extra grunt to move the extra ballast on board. I fully understand (better than many of you here) that some of that weight is thoroughly justified to handle the extra power over the long haul. Things like 18" wheels, more rubber hitting the road, bigger brakes, iron block for durability, 4 cam heads, supercharger with related plumbing and coolant, etc. all add up.

With "just" 335hp in my Mach 1, I've really been considering an upgrade. I bought it new for $23K back in 2003 - quite a performance bargain in its own right! 13.0's in the 1/4 mile at 105 mph won't be scaring anyone with a Terminator or GT500, though. There's no way I can afford a GT500 (just a simple working guy with 2 teens, wife, mortgage, etc.), so I've been looking at other ponies. We've had some awesome Terminators traded in lately, and they're quite tempting, but the styling leaves me a bit cold. The 2005+ 300hp Mustangs just don't have enough power and are slower than my Mach 1 so they won't cut it. Supercharging the Mach 1 would give me about 450hp at the crank, but I can't swing the $6K+ to do it. Lastly, I'm looking into the FR500 cams & heads for my car, which should yield about 400hp at the crank, but that's still almost $5K. Just doing the cams is almost $4K. Man, I need a 2nd job to even think about spending that kind of money on mods.

Ultimately, I guess I'll just sit tight; happy with what I have and proud of all the advances Ford is making in the Mustang world. These truly are the "good old days" no matter which flavor of Mustang we choose.

Drive 'em like you stole 'em, but keep 'em between the lines!

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Sep 24 2006, 11:31 PM) 45779[/snapback]

I've been scarce around here awhile, but after reading this thread, just thought I would like to add my 2 cents....

Five Oh....good to see you back on the boards. Hang in there, good things come to those who wait....perhaps you'll have a windfall of some type and be able to add the HP you desire.

If it's any consolation, I still have no word on my GT500. Now that cold weather is setting in here in Indiana, I'd just as soon not see the car until about March. It won't be a daily driver for me...it will only see about 3,000 miles/year.

Dave

You know, I watched this thread for a couple days, waiting for it to turn into something like this. I knew at some point someone would start bagging on the 03-04 Cobra (of which I am a proud owner). I waited for a bunch of mis-information and how they are so vastly inferior to the current permutation of an SVT Cobra.

Man my waiting wasn't wasted.

Everyone got on EvilChris for a rebuttle to a very insulting, and frankly wrong assesment of the 03-04 Cobra, arguably the best Cobra to date, which the GT500 is hopefulyl going to carry forward in the spirit of the Cobra heritage. It's the first Cobra to get 390+hp out of the box, for a reasonable price. It's also the pre-cursor to the GT500 and I thought at least some of you would have a little more respect.

So I felt Chris's response to this thread was completely well founded, worded, and otherwise necessary. I visit this board, an 04 Cobra owner, and specifically this forum because it gives me a taste of what it was like when I waited for my Cobra, when I was sitting there with the VIN# in hand and all the other crap going on in here. I don't remember however, at the board www.blueovalnews.com the 03-04 owners taking a moment to piss all over the 01 and under Cobra owners.

We had a little more class.

I think some of you need to get off of your high horse, and stop making this car in particular the Holy Grail/Arc of the Covenent on wheels. It's an overpriced (you all know it should retail for 40k TOPS for a coupe, more for convertible) Ford Mustang at the end of the day. Sure it's got great styling, but you know what? So does my lowly 2004 Cobra that has never lost to anything but a Viper, but I guess anything but the Shelby Cobra GT500 is just a little mistake on the path to ultimate vehicular achievement.

So, nice brotherhood guys!! Way to become part of the Mustang crowd, and a community I have been a part of since I owned a 5.0 Lx Mustang in 1993.

The saddest part about this thread, is that none of you even seem to get 'it'. This isn't the Mustang community I know, this is some elitest bullshit, any way you slice it.

:rant::rant::rant:

DC

thanks for the post

i think you are making a generalization that is not accurate here.

look at the signatures of the members on this site (including mine). most of us are loyal mustang fans and have owned several other mustangs. I grant you, there may be a few "elitist" on this site who have more money than brains... but please do not generalize to all here. I am proud of the mustangs past (okay, with the exception of the "dark period", 1974-78). It is the mustangs before that have drawn me to the GT500. The GT500 has a classic look, feel, and POWER. I am excited to have the newest edition... but i do not believe that my car is superior in any way to mustangs past.

When i see terminators on the road, i am proud that they are a part of the mustang tradition. They have been kicking a$$ on the streets for the last 4 years. no one on this site has forgotten that. it is an incredible 1-2 punch for Ford to have on the streets nowadays. we should all be proud of that.

DC

thanks for the post

i think you are making a generalization that is not accurate here.

look at the signatures of the members on this site (including mine). most of us are loyal mustang fans and have owned several other mustangs. I grant you, there may be a few "elitist" on this site who have more money than brains... but please do not generalize to all here. I am proud of the mustangs past (okay, with the exception of the "dark period", 1974-78). It is the mustangs before that have drawn me to the GT500. The GT500 has a classic look, feel, and POWER. I am excited to have the newest edition... but i do not believe that my car is superior in any way to mustangs past.

When i see terminators on the road, i am proud that they are a part of the mustang tradition. They have been kicking a$$ on the streets for the last 4 years. no one on this site has forgotten that. it is an incredible 1-2 punch for Ford to have on the streets nowadays. we should all be proud of that.

+1, bonedoc...

:shift:

I remember seeing my first Mustang; my friend's dad bought a 64-black with white "landou" (sp) top-260 V8.

Likewise I remember pedaling our bikes to the Ford dealer every Oct. to see the new Fords, but especially the new Mustangs. One time they let me back a Boss 429 about 10 ft into the showroom--my feet didn't touch the ground for a week. Of course I don't count the dreaded Mustang II, but celebrated in 79 when a real Mustang returned (anemic as it was). In 84 I bought a new Mercury Capri RS, and in 89 my first Mustang--a blue with silver trim GT. And many of you have read my many posts about my beloved 96 (hopefully not too many). My point--I love Mustangs--all Mustangs--especially Cobras including the mighty Terminator, and as I read thru the posts to this tread that's the theme I picked up from the vast majority of us, so I really don't understand EC or DC's response or tone.

Five Oh B -good to have you back.

CC :party:

No problem CC...if we all liked the same thing, this world would be pretty boring. I'm watching the Broncos right now...0-0 as we speak. If they lose, I win the Sunday pool....$250. Go Patriots!!

Dave

Dave,

Sorry you lost the 250$ pool, but I have to say . . . Go Broncos!

CC

It's completely normal for guys to be competitive about anything and especially their cars, how much they paid or didn't pay, how fast, etc. However, there is a line and you're either above it or below it. It's called integrity and character. Do your actions align with what you believe is right? - especially in the way you interact with others.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Sep 25 2006, 09:22 AM) 45833[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Sorry, guys, I was just trying to be an elitist, too, so that I'd fit in around here.

:hysterical: Me too Five-oh, what with struggling with ever increasing costs on a fixed income and working side jobs teaching and consulting and selling my photo-art to make ends meet and pay medical bills -- we're all such elitists in here! And all of you family guys with some kids and all those bills and trying to make mortgage payments and have a little left over to take a occasional fun trip somewhere with the family -- I'm talking about all of you too! You know who you are! <lol>

:doh:

----------

Anyhow, did some more more thinking on your thoughtful post and, on second thought, the only thing I'd beg to differ with is on IRS.

The GT500 can not possibly handle as well as, for example, an '01 Cobra (or even a Termie) in twisties with ripples, washboard, lumps, etc. -- i.e. the real world. I've never driven one, but cannot accept that it can. On a track, I fully agree with your statement, but on real back roads where mine would spend 90% of it's "fun" time (as opposed the freeways, etc, which is just getting from point A to B) the solid axle can't hold a candle to an IRS -- and I'd gladly debate that with HTT personally -- he surely knows better. A fine job was done on the GT500 live axle -- but a fine job was also done brainwashing the public. I think the GT500 is awesome and drool over it, but even and IRS that had to fit existing hard points and therefore do it with rather convoluted design (recent Cobras) is superior, and a purpose-built design would be even more so.

There just no way in the physics of the known universe for the GT500's live axle to out-handle an IRS (all other components being equal), on real-world twisties -- i.e. the paved secondary and tertiary roads of the entire Northeast US (and many other places I'm sure) ;-)

Nevertheless, this elitist SOB would buy one in a heartbeat if I weren't so busy counting all my money and managing my formidible portfolio and other assets :hysterical2:

Well, it's that time -- gotta get my caviar and fois-gras order in before the lunch rush... :hysterical:

...later ;-)

<edit:> as a frame of ref, I have driven a Mustang GT (with aftermarket springs and shocks) agressively over back roads and I assure anyone reading this that it is no where close to handling lumpy twisties like an '01 Cobra. Not knocking the GT (I may wind up with one) just a perspective to offer... not to worry, the '09 stang will almost certainly be IRS unless Camaro and Challenger reneg on their stated designs.

-Dan

Archived