TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TOP SPEED- Mustang ( Don't respond if your offended

RACERX009

During the Shelby Run I was racing David Green for about 70 miles. We burried the needle so we were over 150 with plenty to go. Ask Rick my partner. Right now Roger and I are doing 10 mph trying to cross the GW bridge in NYC on the way to SAAC 33.

During the Shelby Run I was racing David Green for about 70 miles. We burried the needle so we were over 150 with plenty to go. Ask Rick my patrtner. Right now Roger and I are doing 10 mph trying to cross the GW bridge in NYC on the way to SAAC 33.

I feel your pain that bridge suxs and cool story been having problem with my gt shaking at 110mph. But I have hit 145mph in my M3 and felt like 80mph solid.

During the Shelby Run I was racing David Green for about 70 miles. We burried the needle so we were over 150 with plenty to go. Ask Rick my partner. Right now Roger and I are doing 10 mph trying to cross the GW bridge in NYC on the way to SAAC 33.

and love the 2 cars to cool

I'd like to do a top speed run. I need to get a blocker car and two walkie talkies, though. I don't want to get caught doing triple digits.

I imagine my 4:10's might lower my top end - but maybe the Vortech will allow for a higher RPM in 5th gear?

I'd like to do a top speed run. I need to get a blocker car and two walkie talkies, though. I don't want to get caught doing triple digits.

I imagine my 4:10's might lower my top end - but maybe the Vortech will allow for a higher RPM in 5th gear?

With my 4.10 gears, .71 overdrive in 5th, and factory height tires, my car would theoretically redline at 6,400 rpm's at 175 mph if aerodynamics didn't hold it back (you know - driving in a vacuum).

However, on the dyno a few weeks ago, my tuner had it up to 114 mph in 4th gear at 6,400 rpm's. With that same .71 overdrive ratio, that tells me my car would hit just 160 mph at redline (6,400 rpm's) in 5th.

I don't doubt for a minute that my car (or Ruf's car) has enough power to peg the redline in 5th before aerodynamics stop us, so I'd say 160 mph for my car, or about 167 mph for Ruf's car at 6,400 rpm's (not sure where Ruf's redline is currently set, but he has more overdrive than I do).

• 2 weeks later...

Don't they do special Top End Events in the Desert in Nevada once a Year?

David.

Found This thanks to Google:

The German Autobahn has always held a certain place in the hearts of the automotive obsessed for not having blanket speed limits for cars and motorcycles. Blasting down this famous stretch of highway is cause for countless daydreams and declarations of unadulterated high speed runs in a rented Porsche or Mercedes.

But here's the deal, one doesn't need to travel to Germany to have these dreams come true.

You can go to Ely, Nevada.

Nevada is the site of the Silver State Classic Challenge, which is a four day event where dreams of speed come true. It's an event where your personal driving limits can move closer to that of your cars, which is a process that can take a very long time if you have a Dodge Viper or a car that approaches 800 HP. All events at the Silver State Classic, including the Z2Z or Zero to 200mph to Zero competition, are held on public highways that are closed off to the general public. Other events during the weekend are the Z1Z (Zero to 100 to Zero) and the High Noon Shootout, where cars have either a half mile or a full mile to get up to their top speeds.

The Silver State Classic Challenge is a 20 year old authorized open road race that is held on a 90 mile stretch of highway on Nevada's Route 318. This race attracts the automotive obsessed, but not the kind that can be found waxing and shining their car on the weekend.No, these are the types of aficionados that get up at 5AM on a weekend for a 100 mile drive before their family wakes up to eat breakfast. The Challenge is all about speed, but how fast you get to the finish is determined by which class you compete in.Classes go from 95 mph all the way up to 180 mph, which means you need to average exactly the speed of your class to have any chance of winning. Usually the difference between 1st and 2nd is thousandths of seconds, so extreme accuracy is the name of the game.

My partner in crime for this event was none other than James Schiefer of Schiefer Media, Inc. Not only does James come from a family with rich automotive history, he owns a vehicle that many people refer to as the "German Sledgehammer," a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG. Its hand crafted AMG V-8 cranks out a head snapping 470 HP with 516 lb-ft of TORQUE. It has the ability to get to high speeds very quickly and has an electronic stability control system that makes sure you stay on the road, especially at speeds exceeding 100mph.James and I competed in the 100 mph class, which meant we needed to travel the 90 miles in exactly 54 minutes which was really fun, but not the most glamorous class in the event.

There is one class that demands the respect of all who follow and compete in the Silver State Classic and that is the Unlimited Class. Unlimited means exactly that. The only limit to what you can do is what you or your car can handle. Two cars competed in the Unlimited Class this year, driven by Richard Hille and Paal-Arvid Blytt, also know as Polly. Polly was a pleasant surprise that came all the way from Norway. His story was very interesting because of all the trouble it took for him to get his car from Norway to Nevada. The car was supposed to be shipped to New York then onto Los Angeles, but it got diverted to England due to an invoice mishap.

Polly had to fly to England, then to New York and travel with the car all the way to LA so he could trailer it to Las Vegas/Ely. I'm glad he did, because he brought 50 friends from Norway and Amcar Magazine, a Norwegian magazine that covers American cars. Needless to say, the parties got interesting.

It's important to note that Polly isn't some rich oil type from Norway who has all the money in the world to buy cars. The exact opposite is nearer to the truth. He loves his car and spends virtually all his time and money on it. Polly didn't end up winning the Unlimited Class with his blazing fast 181.6438 average speed, but he did have the highest radar trap at over 220 mph. Richard Hille won the Unlimited with an even faster average speed of 198.5413.

It's crazy to think that the all-time Silver State Classic Unlimited Class record is 207.7801 mph, held by the late great Charles "Chuck" Shafer. Chuck's wife, Cindy, drove with Chuck's record breaking navigator, Gary Bockman, this year to pay tribute to her husband. A great story in itself, and what the Silver State Classic Challenge is truly about. My role at the Silver State was as navigator to James' driving. Navigating in the other event that I do every year, the Bullrun Rally, is much different because the Bullrun is more navigational and requires skills with a map. General safety and spotting the occasional Highway Patrolman is also very important since we're not on a closed course.

At this event, my job was to make sure we were not only averaging 100mph, but EXACTLY 100 mph, not 99.8 or 100.2. We equipped ourselves with exact time splits for each mile marker for the entire 90 miles. This way I could tell James exactly where we were on time no matter where we were at on the course. It all seems very easy to do except at about 70 miles into the course is a two mile stretch called "The Narrows" with some pretty scary turns when traveling over 100 mph. We needed to figure out whether or not we should bank time going into "The Narrows" or make time when we came out, but we weren't too concerned since the E55 can hold 100 mph easy on each turn. I could only imagine what was going through the heads of the folks running the 170 mph Class.

James and I made a great team as we took 2nd place in our Class, which is not easy to do for Silver State "Rookies". Despite the thrill of driving fast and finishing in the top two in our class, our experience could be greatly defined by the people we met on the event.I've always felt that automotive events are more about people than cars. If automotive events were summed up by you getting in a car and driving fast, then you can have an automotive event on the way to work if you wanted. Driving events are all about meeting people with similar interests and I had an amazing time hanging out with my friends and meeting new ones.

The boys from Torque.TV's Silver State Classic Sponsor, Optima Batteries, sure knew how to party and party we did into the wee hours. The fact of the matter is I didn't need to hop on a plane to Germany and drive the Autobahn to fulfill a dream, but I have to say Oktoberfest sounds real interesting.Oktoberfest: Sponsored by Optima Batteries anyone?

I let my friend drive mine and he touched 100 (yes, I was in it - it happens fast!). Personally, I don't think I've been over 80. So, that's my top speed! :lol: This is why I don't need 650 HP. :hysterical:

150mph in the vert, 148mph in the coupe.

So far. :shift: Let's see what the coupe does down in Terlingua with the diet and tune I'm putting on it...bwahahahaha!

I've had the cruise control set at 135mph for 20 miles down the highway before. I got bored during the race and turned on the A/C and cranked out the tunes while honking and waving at the spectators.

100+ mph in the 2007 Shelby GT-H convertible I rented last summer. I punched it on the highway to get around a semi and just looked down and was going over 100 and it did not even feel like it.

I am still breaking in my SGT convertible so I haven't taken it up that high. I don't break my vehicles in by running them hard either although I know a lot of folks subscribe to this school of thought. But on a rental, well that's another matter....:)

Found This thanks to Google:

The German Autobahn has always held a certain place in the hearts of the automotive obsessed for not having blanket speed limits for cars and motorcycles. Blasting down this famous stretch of highway is cause for countless daydreams and declarations of unadulterated high speed runs in a rented Porsche or Mercedes.

But here's the deal, one doesn't need to travel to Germany to have these dreams come true.

You can go to Ely, Nevada.

Nevada is the site of the Silver State Classic Challenge, which is a four day event where dreams of speed come true. It's an event where your personal driving limits can move closer to that of your cars, which is a process that can take a very long time if you have a Dodge Viper or a car that approaches 800 HP. All events at the Silver State Classic, including the Z2Z or Zero to 200mph to Zero competition, are held on public highways that are closed off to the general public. Other events during the weekend are the Z1Z (Zero to 100 to Zero) and the High Noon Shootout, where cars have either a half mile or a full mile to get up to their top speeds.

The Silver State Classic Challenge is a 20 year old authorized open road race that is held on a 90 mile stretch of highway on Nevada's Route 318. This race attracts the automotive obsessed, but not the kind that can be found waxing and shining their car on the weekend.No, these are the types of aficionados that get up at 5AM on a weekend for a 100 mile drive before their family wakes up to eat breakfast. The Challenge is all about speed, but how fast you get to the finish is determined by which class you compete in.Classes go from 95 mph all the way up to 180 mph, which means you need to average exactly the speed of your class to have any chance of winning. Usually the difference between 1st and 2nd is thousandths of seconds, so extreme accuracy is the name of the game.

My partner in crime for this event was none other than James Schiefer of Schiefer Media, Inc. Not only does James come from a family with rich automotive history, he owns a vehicle that many people refer to as the "German Sledgehammer," a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG. Its hand crafted AMG V-8 cranks out a head snapping 470 HP with 516 lb-ft of TORQUE. It has the ability to get to high speeds very quickly and has an electronic stability control system that makes sure you stay on the road, especially at speeds exceeding 100mph.James and I competed in the 100 mph class, which meant we needed to travel the 90 miles in exactly 54 minutes which was really fun, but not the most glamorous class in the event.

There is one class that demands the respect of all who follow and compete in the Silver State Classic and that is the Unlimited Class. Unlimited means exactly that. The only limit to what you can do is what you or your car can handle. Two cars competed in the Unlimited Class this year, driven by Richard Hille and Paal-Arvid Blytt, also know as Polly. Polly was a pleasant surprise that came all the way from Norway. His story was very interesting because of all the trouble it took for him to get his car from Norway to Nevada. The car was supposed to be shipped to New York then onto Los Angeles, but it got diverted to England due to an invoice mishap.

Polly had to fly to England, then to New York and travel with the car all the way to LA so he could trailer it to Las Vegas/Ely. I'm glad he did, because he brought 50 friends from Norway and Amcar Magazine, a Norwegian magazine that covers American cars. Needless to say, the parties got interesting.

It's important to note that Polly isn't some rich oil type from Norway who has all the money in the world to buy cars. The exact opposite is nearer to the truth. He loves his car and spends virtually all his time and money on it. Polly didn't end up winning the Unlimited Class with his blazing fast 181.6438 average speed, but he did have the highest radar trap at over 220 mph. Richard Hille won the Unlimited with an even faster average speed of 198.5413.

It's crazy to think that the all-time Silver State Classic Unlimited Class record is 207.7801 mph, held by the late great Charles "Chuck" Shafer. Chuck's wife, Cindy, drove with Chuck's record breaking navigator, Gary Bockman, this year to pay tribute to her husband. A great story in itself, and what the Silver State Classic Challenge is truly about. My role at the Silver State was as navigator to James' driving. Navigating in the other event that I do every year, the Bullrun Rally, is much different because the Bullrun is more navigational and requires skills with a map. General safety and spotting the occasional Highway Patrolman is also very important since we're not on a closed course.

At this event, my job was to make sure we were not only averaging 100mph, but EXACTLY 100 mph, not 99.8 or 100.2. We equipped ourselves with exact time splits for each mile marker for the entire 90 miles. This way I could tell James exactly where we were on time no matter where we were at on the course. It all seems very easy to do except at about 70 miles into the course is a two mile stretch called "The Narrows" with some pretty scary turns when traveling over 100 mph. We needed to figure out whether or not we should bank time going into "The Narrows" or make time when we came out, but we weren't too concerned since the E55 can hold 100 mph easy on each turn. I could only imagine what was going through the heads of the folks running the 170 mph Class.

James and I made a great team as we took 2nd place in our Class, which is not easy to do for Silver State "Rookies". Despite the thrill of driving fast and finishing in the top two in our class, our experience could be greatly defined by the people we met on the event.I've always felt that automotive events are more about people than cars. If automotive events were summed up by you getting in a car and driving fast, then you can have an automotive event on the way to work if you wanted. Driving events are all about meeting people with similar interests and I had an amazing time hanging out with my friends and meeting new ones.

The boys from Torque.TV's Silver State Classic Sponsor, Optima Batteries, sure knew how to party and party we did into the wee hours. The fact of the matter is I didn't need to hop on a plane to Germany and drive the Autobahn to fulfill a dream, but I have to say Oktoberfest sounds real interesting.Oktoberfest: Sponsored by Optima Batteries anyone?

That would be an awesome trip. I imagine that there are some big time hotrods there.

That would be an awesome trip. I imagine that there are some big time hotrods there.

We've got one in Texas called the Big Bend Open Road Race. www.bborr.com I ran it this year and it's a blast. My goal is to get to the unlimited class. Come prepared to sign autographs and to throw candy during the parade. This event is one of the reason why we bought the vert. Easier for the parades. Btw: It's Vette hell at the road races. It's really funny because Team Pantera has stickers on their cars that say "Does not brake for Corvettes". I'm putting one on my Shelby for kicks. It's all in fun for me. The wife and I are talking about getting the new super duper vette next year. I'm trying to convince her that she needs to race that bad boy in the slowest bracket in the road races. If a 1988 F150 can do it, so can she :hysterical:

Your rookie licensing from one Road race will transfer over to the other road races. I want to do the Nevada races next year, but I have to get in my 4 SCCA regional races before June to finish up my national license next year. This year is what I'm referring to as my rookie year, next year is my warm up year and the year after that all the kids are done being born and I'm free to race!

Back on Topic: One of my goals with GT500 is to break 220mph next year. I'll most likely be heading up to the salt flats to do this. The Texas Mile is too far away (time wise) and I'm too impatient to wait.

I had my GT upto just under 150 when it bogged out. lost power and started to decel. I dont know if I hit the rev limiter or speed limiter. I have noticed that the hood dances alot over 125....but it is quite stable all the way to just over 140 where it starts to get a little light. I have it lowered but I dont have the Sway Bars or Dampers....just springs so that may have something to do with it.

Just remember when going at these high of speeds, do it safely and with nobody around. You dont want to hurt yourself or others if something goes wrong. Like someone moving over into the fast lane doing 75 and you running up on them at 150+.....might not turn out to well. Just a thought. Be Smart about it.

Gib

I've had the '07 Gt up to 130 mph a couple times and the hood shakes waaaay too much, so I backed off without trying to go any faster, but it was still pulling plenty hard. I'm serioiusly thinking that hood pins would be a great idea before doing that again. I had a friend in high school many years ago who had a hood fly up at high speed and it did a lot of damage to the car (he got the car stopped without crashing somehow).

Fastest I've ever personally driven was just over 160 mph in my '68 Pontiac GTO. 425hp, lowered, all aftermarket suspension, modern wheels/tires, 2.56 "highway" gears, etc. That GTO was likely more aerodynamic than our S197's! When I went back to 3.90 gears in the GTO, it redlined in drive at 106 mph (no overdrive in the Turbo 400 trans).

I"ve also experienced some un-nerving hood flutter above 100.

I'd like to install some locking hood pins - without the typical cable and pins. I don't want to scratch my hood up. But - I can't seem to find any.

If anyone has a link to a good quality set - please let me know. You'd think Ford would have designed a hood latch that was on the outboard sides of the hood and not just a latch in the center.

I"ve also experienced some un-nerving hood flutter above 100.

I'd like to install some locking hood pins - without the typical cable and pins. I don't want to scratch my hood up. But - I can't seem to find any.

If anyone has a link to a good quality set - please let me know. You'd think Ford would have designed a hood latch that was on the outboard sides of the hood and not just a latch in the center.

Ruf, the black billet hood pins that Shelby sells are very nice! Just leave the lanyards off and you won't have to worry about scratches...

100845.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see.07' Shelby GT I'm pretty sure i had it up around 130ish.08' Bullitt around 135 and my 08' GT500 up to about 140 before the dreaded two piece driveline vibration made me think I had enough.Wasn't really bad but enough to contemplate a one piece driveshaft before any more top end runs.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a trip to Dayton Ohio Last summer with a friend. We were on cruise control doing MPH in the center lane.

A pickup entered the Highway and started riding my bumper. One foot away at MPH. I signaled, changed lanes and the truck kept on my bumper. I signaled, went back to the center and he was right behind me, laughing. Next thing I know another pickup truck comes on the highway and is now on the right side of me. I changed lanes and they both drafted me. I go left, they go left. I go right, they go right. After a few minutes I decided it was time to loose these idiots. I pushed in the clutch, revved her to about 3500 rpm, popped it into fourth and dumped the clutch. Hit fifth at 5900 rpm, then hit sixth. Would not go any faster. I glanced at the speedometer and it read 252 kph. (Thats about MPH). The pickups were nowhere in sight. Did the hood shake? I could not tell you. I hit the brakes, slowed down to 75 and crested a hill. On the other side were four radar traps. I got pulled over. They gave me a warning for going 5 miles over! I can't imagine what fine I would have gotten for 87 mile over! :hysterical:

I went on a trip to Dayton Ohio Last summer with a friend. We were on cruise control doing MPH in the center lane.

A pickup entered the Highway and started riding my bumper. One foot away at MPH. I signaled, changed lanes and the truck kept on my bumper. I signaled, went back to the center and he was right behind me, laughing. Next thing I know another pickup truck comes on the highway and is now on the right side of me. I changed lanes and they both drafted me. I go left, they go left. I go right, they go right. After a few minutes I decided it was time to loose these idiots. I pushed in the clutch, revved her to about 3500 rpm, popped it into fourth and dumped the clutch. Hit fifth at 5900 rpm, then hit sixth. Would not go any faster. I glanced at the speedometer and it read 252 kph. (Thats about MPH). The pickups were nowhere in sight. Did the hood shake? I could not tell you. I hit the brakes, slowed down to 75 and crested a hill. On the other side were four radar traps. I got pulled over. They gave me a warning for going 5 miles over! I can't imagine what fine I would have gotten for 87 mile over! :hysterical:

252kph = how many mph? :lurk:

• 8 months later...

I live in Germany and drive my 09 GT on the autobahn everyday to work. My daily average speed is around 120 mph, fastest I've been clocked at was 157 mph though. Oh and by the way there are spped limits on the autobahn, there are only a few spots without them. But there aren't any cops on the road, just cameras that don't get you doing over 110 mph.

Archived