TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Top speed

crazycooter

is there anywhere besides the salt flats where you can go all out on a closed road, w/ clock and everything. I saw a video on utube w/ some kid doing just that somewhere. 2-3 mile to get up to speed, time the 4th mile, then a couple mile to slow down. I can't go above 3000rmp w/out getting a ticket where i live. I would drive for a day to go somewhere i could go 180 a couple times.

brian

(How many of you have had the limiter removed and what was the top end you quit at? Also how was the stability at that particular speed?)

The car is super stable at speed. No changes to car except cooling mods since it was Super Snaked. Ran 163mph in 5th had to let off because road to bumpy. Tune is what Shelby installed. Heres my video.

is there anywhere besides the salt flats where you can go all out on a closed road, w/ clock and everything. I saw a video on utube w/ some kid doing just that somewhere. 2-3 mile to get up to speed, time the 4th mile, then a couple mile to slow down. I can't go above 3000rmp w/out getting a ticket where i live. I would drive for a day to go somewhere i could go 180 a couple times.

brian

Brian I got just the place. Its the Texas Mile. Run a mile from a standing start and then clocked at the last 36 feet. Its a real blast. Check out there site and my video running my Shelby GT 500 out there.

http://www.texasmile.net/

140mph in the vert with the top down being chased down 290.

148 in the coupe at TWS.

Both unmodded (at the time!) and stable.

Until three years ago, my top speed was 145 in a 1970 Boss 302 with 3.00 gears. I did this in the 70s when I was a teenager riding on worn out $20 Cooper 2-ply bias belted tires. As I got older, I realized how stupid that was and would never top that speed. Then came my stock '03 Cobra on a lonely stretch of I-8 between Yuma and Gila Bend. It did not take much to be "persuaded" to play with a black Porsche. Let's just say we both lost our nerves at 162 mph (4600 rpms in 6th gear). Well, I don't think I'll be doing this again, even in my GT500. I feel I've pushed my luck far enough.....

5625 rpm in 5th(exactly halfway between 5500 and 5750). Works out to 167-168 mph, was still gaining like mad, would def. pull 6200 which is 185+. That was with just a stage 1(cai&tune). I hit that speed in an unofficial standing mile, took 31 secs. I have a stage 2 currently that I have not tried, and stage 3 should be here next week. I'm wondering about the hood staying closed at these speeds; Western Motorsports up here in Canada has a hidden hood latch kit. It puts locking latches at each corner, and is a pretty sharp looking kit, and cheap.

Somewhere above 150. Didn't want to look down. Drove great! I think it has more in it - that was all I needed. My '91 coupe would do a hair over 140 and it felt like it was going to fly! That car felt so light I had both hands holding the wheel as tight as I could. Times have changed!

130 up the on-ramp in the 500, stable as a rock, no mods at that time. 150+ in a 70 Boss 302 at Savana International Race Way in 1973 &4. Car was almost SCCA T/A spec (it was a driver at that time), 289 Lemans cam, 427 valve springs, multi-angled valve job, Hooker comp headers, Mallory dual point, stock Holley 780 CFM and hi test gas. Close ratio 4 speed and 3:90 T-lock. The Boss was very stable at speed. Point of note...the Shelby GT 500 out performs that car in all respects and it was the top of the line road race car in B production out of the box at that time, I heavily moded it and the car was "interesting" to drive on the street!

brian

The SS stripe in your avatar is a killer looks

Archived