TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New mod!

A project for tomorrow.

I will be attending SAAC's 33rd. convention this weekend and needed to have a fixed fire extinguisher mount. And I am NOT drilling any holes in the car! Having tried to work on this alone did not yeild a positive result. The company I am working with it Brey Karuse. Very big in racing products but for a niche group of Corvette, BMW, Ferrari and Porshe owners.

They will be sending a new product for my install which will fit many applications. I will post the how to and results tomorrow when I am finished. This application allows the extinguisher to mount under the passenger seat and moves with the seat. It also meets all santioning requirements for SCCA, NHRA etc.

Here is thier site:

http://www.bkauto.com/

Here is the product:

R_9540.jpg

R_9540a.jpg

R_9540b.jpg

R_9540.jpg

R_9540a.jpg

R_9540b.jpg

Received and installed the mount today. I will say that it is a very well engineered piece.

I did find out that on our seats we cannot mount in the front of the seat and still have the seat slide back and forth with the extinguisher. And here is why: Our seats are not bolted to the seat frame as most cars are. They are riveted. You could mount this application behind the rear of the passenger seat though but you would have to remove the seat track plastic covers.

Another glitch with our cars is how the front seats are bolted in. Actually the design of the seat rail flange. This bracket needs to be torqued down and, as you will see with the pictures, there is an indentation for the bolt. I was able to back space the bracket with grade 8 washers and there was still enough meat left on the threads to re-install the seat. Other than that not a big deal with installation. It is fully adjustable from side to side and up an down. The flat base that the fire extinquisher bolts to is also adjustable from top to bottom or in a tilting motion and front to rear.

You may ask, does it intrude on the passenger confort. Well if you have your seats forward yes. If you seat is fully to the rear or close to the rear no. In the pictures I have the seat fully moved toward the rear and I still need to do a final adjustment on the plate. I was able to get in and out without an issue. And I am not a small guy. There was no intrusion to comfort when in the seat.

Here are some photo's

The content package: it did not include the extinguisher

BreyKrauseFireExtinquishserMount008.jpg

The seat brackets left and right. I needed to use one of each due to our floor pans being higher near the console. You can see the back space washers.

BreyKrauseFireExtinquishserMount005.jpg

The other bracket:

BreyKrauseFireExtinquishserMount007.jpg

The bar installed:

BreyKrauseFireExtinquishserMount013.jpg

The bracket installed that comes with the fire extinguisher. I needed to purchase hardware for this at Lowe's

BreyKrauseFireExtinquishserMount017.jpg

Finished:

BreyKrauseFireExtinquishserMount019.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived