TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Ranchero 72 - real or not ?

option1garage

Historically, all I can say about this vehicle is that the relationship between Carroll and FoMoCo wasn't so peachy in 1972, so while it's possible, I believe that it's very unlikely that it's the real deal.

The other thing is that if it was an authentic Shelby vehicle, you would think that the valve covers would have "Cobra Powered by Ford" on them.

Just my opinion of course.

Got any shots of the interior?

Thanks. Well, my opinion remains the same. That's because the dash does not look like Shelby quality, even for an R-Model Shelby which are bare bones cars (for weight savings, of course).

And let's say it was a shop car. Then I have to go back to the fact the Shelby Auto's relationship with FoMoCo was pretty much wrapped up by 1972, so why would they need a Ranchero shop truck then?

My gut instinct tells me that it's a backyard Shelby, and not something from his company. See if you can get the VIN and then see if there is a MARTI report for the car.

Looks pretty thrashed too.

Good luck!

The valve covers are 'Ford Motorsports' which would date them as early to mid 1980's, so those were added well after the fact. The Shelby lettering could have easily been added, but there's always that small chance that it's legit, but as Son of GT said, at that time Shelbys relationship with Ford was not a good one at that time.

The one I wish they had built (and I've seen copies of the pre-production art) was the Ranchero King Cobra. Done up with the aero nose of the NASCAR inspired King Cobra, that would have been extremely cool to see. I'm surprised someone hasn't put one together?

Nope. Just someone customized a Rancharo. The main give away is the Stripes. Shelby did not put the Lemans Stripes that close together on Ford Cars until recently. The other give aways is................. well.............. everything else about the Car. BUT, to find a Rancharo in Japan is pretty cool though. I would imagine that not to many of them crossed the Pond.

David.

FAKE!!!!!!

I've done research on Shelby Rancheros and with the excellent assistance from Rick Kopec there were never any "real" Shelby Rancheros.

Yes there are Ford Rancheros out there with Tony Branda Shelby parts but that doesn't mean that Ford or Shelby built them.

Trust me on this, I'm a fan of the Rancheros and wish there were Shelby Rancheros but nope it never happened.

Steve

Archived