TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dust and Debris on Rear Decklid

airforceus

If I take the car out for even a short, 5 mile trip, by the time I pull back into the garage I have accumulated quite a bit of black dust/debris on the rear end of the car from the license plate all the way up to the spoiler. I'm guessing this is a common thing and just a result of the design and aerodynamics of the car (and beefy rear tires probably contribute).

Does anyone else notice this after even a short trip? Sometimes it is pretty difficult to get off the white stripes unless I really scrub for a while. Cleaning this area and the persistent brake dust end up being pretty time consuming.

Just making sure I'm not the only one and looking for any tips on how to get rid of the black specks that accumulate on the stripes!

Cleaning this area and the persistent brake dust end up being pretty time consuming.

It's normal.

I use this stuff to clean it right up after the drive. Takes just a few minutes and really works well.

http://store.blackvertmafia.com/product_p/1611.htm

Or the whole kit is on sale and a heck of a deal: http://store.blackvertmafia.com/product_p/detkit.htm

We still need to meet up. We never set anything up after the Apple Valley Ford show a few months ago.

It's normal.

I use this stuff to clean it right up after the drive. Takes just a few minutes and really works well.

Or the whole kit is on sale and a heck of a deal: http://store.blackvertmafia.com/product_p/detkit.htm

We still need to meet up. We never set anything up after the Apple Valley Ford show a few months ago.

Thanks Joe - I'll have to check that stuff out - is a torch guy allowed to shop at the mafia store? :cry:

Did you make it to the Shakopee show or Hastings recently?? I am just up the road in Lakeville so hit me up anytime you are coming this way! I'll be up at AV Ford in the next couple weeks to have the Evo stage 2 installed! :happy feet:

I noticed this phenomenon the first week I owned the car. It seemed worse when the car was new. Having put almost 3000 miles on it, the dust problem on the rear seems to have improved but it sure gets on the wheels and turns them grey after only a few outings.

It's normal.

Not to diss the product but i dont think that could possibly be good for your car

If theres no water wouldnt you just grind the dirt into the paint?

I noticed this phenomenon the first week I owned the car. It seemed worse when the car was new. Having put almost 3000 miles on it, the dust problem on the rear seems to have improved but it sure gets on the wheels and turns them grey after only a few outings.

I agree with you I can take the california duster to the little bit of dust on the rear but the wheels look really bad and have to be washed. I even find myself coasting more to try to keep from using the brakes but it doesn't help.

I have a 4 step process that works great.

1. Blow off the dust with compressed air. This removes 75 percent of it with out scratching the car.

2. Use a California duster on the car body.

3. Use Ice quick detailer spray and a micro fibre towell to wipe the car down.

4. Use a old clean cloth rag to wipe the rims off.

I do this in 10 minutes and then put the car away clean after every use, except if it's dark out. This way the build up is mild.

Not to diss the product but i dont think that could possibly be good for your car

If theres no water wouldnt you just grind the dirt into the paint?

There's liquid - it's just not much. You spray it on - it captures and hold onto the dust, which you then wipe off with a microfiber cloth. It's similar to a "quick detailer", but it also has cleaning stuff in it.

I was skeptical as well - but once I tried it I was sold. And trust me... on Black, you can see ANY scratch! :hysterical: This stuff works.

I also use the Calif Duster between "washes"... works great to get the dust off.

Thanks Joe - I'll have to check that stuff out - is a torch guy allowed to shop at the mafia store? :cry:

Did you make it to the Shakopee show or Hastings recently?? I am just up the road in Lakeville so hit me up anytime you are coming this way! I'll be up at AV Ford in the next couple weeks to have the Evo stage 2 installed! :happy feet:

Everyone's welcome in the Stang Mafia!

I haven't made it to any other shows this year... too much travel for work during the week that I'd rather spend time with the family (who, besides my son, doesn't like car shows) on the weekend.

BTW - Evo Stage 2... the TVS Stage 2 or just the CAI/tune/pulley swap? If the second one, let me know and I can help you do it. It's pretty simple really - and I'm not an expert by any means. I'm not sure what AVF will charge for the work - but if it's more than $100 it's too much.

I can help you do it - let me know. My Stage 2 install thread

Very common. I get really bad when I spin on on the track and go offroad...backwards (can we say idiot driver letting up on the gas in a corner?). I keep a bottle of Ice and a towel in the trunk for such issues.

Very common. I get really bad when I spin on on the track and go offroad...backwards (can we say idiot driver letting up on the gas in a corner?). I keep a bottle of Ice and a towel in the trunk for such issues.

always with me even in my explorer....i washed my car since i got her in Dec 07 only once after the snow.

I have a 4 step process that works great.

1. Blow off the dust with compressed air. This removes 75 percent of it with out scratching the car.

2. Use a California duster on the car body.

3. Use Ice quick detailer spray and a micro fibre towell to wipe the car down.

4. Use a old clean cloth rag to wipe the rims off.

I do this in 10 minutes and then put the car away clean after every use, except if it's dark out. This way the build up is mild.

Quite agree. This is exactly the same method that I use to kept mine clean. I highly recommend it.

Ken

Archived