TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Checking Tune during PDI

Lutzcat

With several being tuned on the dyno and most reporting rich fuel mixtures, is it possible the timing, fuel mixtures are set too tame for safety reasons at the factory verses the specs the dealers have in their computers? I'm going to have the dealer check both during PDI and set it to specs, if it is a difference. I'm not referring to the valet feature, (5 mi) either. Also a possible reason for the rich tune is the HP factor, coming from the factory with the stated 500 hp instead of the 540 hp plus with correct tune. (at crank) Why give something away that's not advertised, so next year jump the horses up 10% with the touch of a button.

Lutzcat

With several being tuned on the dyno and most reporting rich fuel mixtures, is it possible the timing, fuel mixtures are set too tame for safety reasons at the factory verses the specs the dealers have in their computers?

Not just possible - I'd guarantee it. Ford doesn't want to risk a lot of early failures from running too lean (a big no-no on a SC engine).

Also a possible reason for the rich tune is the HP factor, coming from the factory with the stated 500 hp instead of the 540 hp plus with correct tune. (at crank) Why give something away that's not advertised, so next year jump the horses up 10% with the touch of a button.

I said the same thing a while back. Easy way to say "New for 2008 - XX more HP than 2007!" Very little work to claim a gain (and the corresponding increase in price I'd guess!!).

With several being tuned on the dyno and most reporting rich fuel mixtures, is it possible the timing, fuel mixtures are set too tame for safety reasons at the factory verses the specs the dealers have in their computers? I'm going to have the dealer check both during PDI and set it to specs, if it is a difference. I'm not referring to the valet feature, (5 mi) either. Also a possible reason for the rich tune is the HP factor, coming from the factory with the stated 500 hp instead of the 540 hp plus with correct tune. (at crank) Why give something away that's not advertised, so next year jump the horses up 10% with the touch of a button.

Lutzcat

Missed it by 2 days...!! PDI is done and no, tune was not checked, never thought about it and would have been nice to have... wonder if I can get it done now?? only couple hundred km's so far..??

I agree with Joe, LIKELY situation....

When are you expecting your car? I really would like to know what you find.

Bert

Missed it by 2 days...!! PDI is done and no, tune was not checked, never thought about it and would have been nice to have... wonder if I can get it done now?? only couple hundred km's so far..??

I agree with Joe, LIKELY situation....

When are you expecting your car? I really would like to know what you find.

Bert

Build date is 9/25/06, so I guess I'll be getting it before Halloween, I hope. I'm sure my dealer will do it when I ask him. Seems to me there is too much variations of the HP# with the first cars dynoed in the beginning and now. Plus all have huge jumps in HP with just a tune. From what I've read all HP #s have been pretty consistent after the tunes. I bet your dealer could do it even after delivery, shouldn't take that long to do it.

Lutzcat

I going to try to be there during the PDI if possible. If they can do a correction on it will save me a few dollars for a tune, plus will not cause any problems with the warranty since it was performed by a Ford dealership within specs. I plan on putting it on the dyno within the first week if possible to see what I do have.

Lutzcat

I going to try to be there during the PDI if possible. If they can do a correction on it will save me a few dollars for a tune, plus will not cause any problems with the warranty since it was performed by a Ford dealership within specs. I plan on putting it on the dyno within the first week if possible to see what I do have.

Lutzcat

I love the power as it is now, but I will likely put mine on the dyno next summer...Is there a way to get the proper factory settings for the tune??

Bert

I love the power as it is now, but I will likely put mine on the dyno next summer...Is there a way to get the proper factory settings for the tune??

Bert

I have no idea what the settings are. When it does arrives I'll find out and post. I'm sure it's preprogrammed in their system. I'm just taking a guess it will be different from the cars coming off the line. I've read somewhere there has been one update already. It won't cost anything anyway for it to be checked.

Lutzcat

Lutzcat

They come from the factory tuned to run on 87 octane, they have to even tho they recomend 91 or better, a new tune makes a lot of difference , so far I have about 100 evtra horses with a tune and exhaust. From a dismal 380 rwhp to 485.

They come from the factory tuned to run on 87 octane, they have to even tho they recomend 91 or better, a new tune makes a lot of difference , so far I have about 100 evtra horses with a tune and exhaust. From a dismal 380 rwhp to 485.

Are you referring to an after market tune or a factory one...

Lutzcat

OK here it is, next years Shelby GT 500 KR will have the aluminum GT 550 horse engine in it..That is if you order the KR option.

Dodge man

Lutzcat

There is no factory tune to check. Unless the check engine light is on or there is a distinct driveability concern there is nothing to check. Even if there is a problem the"tune" can't be altered. Dealerships don't have the ability to change the factory tune, timing fuel mix etc. Every Shelby has the same PCM calibration. Down the road if Ford see's the need to alter the Cal. they send the updated program to dealers to install.

There is no factory tune to check. Unless the check engine light is on or there is a distinct driveability concern there is nothing to check. Even if there is a problem the"tune" can't be altered. Dealerships don't have the ability to change the factory tune, timing fuel mix etc. Every Shelby has the same PCM calibration. Down the road if Ford see's the need to alter the Cal. they send the updated program to dealers to install.

Thanks for the info.. I am looking forward to getting together with other 500 owners just to compare cars... being of limited availability, you don't know what NORMAL feels like. I am getting to know my car, but don't know if it differs from others?? sound, feel, ride etc...

Bert

Archived