TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Let's Talk Track Tires

WP64

Took my car to the track today for the first time with the Hoosier R compounds. HOLY SHOIT! I shaved 5 seconds off my time! My harness got its workout today. My shoulders are friggin sore.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Took my car to the track today for the first time with the Hoosier R compounds. HOLY SHOIT! I shaved 5 seconds off my time! My harness got its workout today. My shoulders are friggin sore.

Which car? :)

I'm scheduled to take my SGT for it's maiden track trip on the 16th; looking forward to it. I decided to just get some summer street tires for now since I don't plan to take the SGT to the track a lot. I got some P255/45R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's all the way around on the stock SGT wheels. I figured the stock KDWS tires wouldn't last more than a session!

I got 8 track days out of my stock tires (Goodyear F1's) until I finally killed them by blowing chunks out of the centers. I took my GT500 Coupe out. My Vert couldn't keep up with the heat and braking required for the short track. Coupe handled absolutely wonderful. My limitations now are the brakes and suspension which are being redone after Terlingua. Shaving off another 400 pounds with those mods :happy feet: 250 pounds of that comes off the front end.

One tip for you: Change your brake fluid out and lose the stock crap because it won't hold up.

For those of you running wider than 255's up front, what wheel specs are you using?

I'd like to run the Nitto NT01 275/40-18 all the way around, as I did on my 03 SVT Cobra, and just want to make sure they'll fit okay in the front. Would the GT500 wheels work fine for this setup?

Thanks,

Pete

I'm running 285 up from on stock wheels, same as the rear, but I've got reversed coilovers up front to give me more room. Not ssure if stock struts will allow wider meat up front.

Glen

• 1 month later...
What camber is everybody running especially the ones that are showing outside wear?

I guess this question does not make any sense to me. Why would you want to know the camber of people that have outside wear? Just go for 0 and you'll get outside wear :headscratch:

I'm at -2.5 and they are wearing fairly evenly; you'll always get some outside wear. At -1.7 I was still getting too much outside wear.

Guys,

I have a GT500 and when shopping for tires, Hoosier would not sell me a tire for my car,

Said the car was so heavy that it exceeded the max recommended corner weight for their tire (at least at the time)

this was last fall and things may have changed, but the Toyo R888 was rated at 400 + more weight per tire, and at the time was the only

thing I could find rated for the hefty snake, just wanted to mention this from a safety point of view (others may be available now)

I have ran most tires and concur the Hoosier generally provides the quickest laptime, but are a bit short in the life dept.

I like the Toyos fine short of the 4 wheel drive roar that they generate on the street, I do not run at 30psi,

and think this varies a bit on how hard you drive, but I get too much rollover below 38 PSI, just what works for me,

the G meter peaks as high as 1.09 with this pressure on the R888.

FP

Guys,

I have a GT500 and when shopping for tires, Hoosier would not sell me a tire for my car,

Said the car was so heavy that it exceeded the max recommended corner weight for their tire (at least at the time)

this was last fall and things may have changed, but the Toyo R888 was rated at 400 + more weight per tire, and at the time was the only

thing I could find rated for the hefty snake, just wanted to mention this from a safety point of view (others may be available now)

I have ran most tires and concur the Hoosier generally provides the quickest laptime, but are a bit short in the life dept.

I like the Toyos fine short of the 4 wheel drive roar that they generate on the street, I do not run at 30psi,

and think this varies a bit on how hard you drive, but I get too much rollover below 38 PSI, just what works for me,

the G meter peaks as high as 1.09 with this pressure on the R888.

FP

I have used th 888's and they were used and they stuck very well. The NT01's are very simular and did very well also. Thanks for the information

What camber is everybody running especially the ones that are showing outside wear?

It really depends on what track I'm driving as to where the tires wear.

With the Steeda front coilovers & 550# springs, I'm running -1.9d camber and that is max'd out; struts are hitting the shock towers at the top. I haven't added the camber wedges at the bottom because I got p :censored: d at Steeda for how they were treating my installer.

Anyways, at Hallett, which is tight twisty, I was getting a lot of outside wear until I changed the way I entered the corners. I had been holding the throttle open very late and then getting on the brakes really hard just before turn-in. And I was not allowing the car to take a set before entering. Therefore my rear tires were doing very little work as far as corner grip.

Now I'm rolling out of the throttle a bit earlier and not braking so much. I'm actually carrying more speed into the corner but the the suspension is settled before turn-in. And I've discovered what guys are talking about when they mention "slip angle" :happy feet:

Three things are noticeably different when I come off the track. 1. The tires are all very close to the same temperature. 2. because of that the air pressure build-up is about equal. 3. I'm getting much less outside corner wear. In fact, this past june at the TS Nationals, I chorded a set of tires all the way across the tread patch. :shift:

Oh yeah, and I've dropped 4.5 seconds off my lap times since last November :dance:

Now with this same camber setting at Texas World Speedway in College Station, things were different. That track is very long, straight and super fast. After two days there I had chord showing on the INSIDE of both my front tires.............

It really depends on what track I'm driving as to where the tires wear.

With the Steeda front coilovers & 550# springs, I'm running -1.9d camber and that is max'd out; struts are hitting the shock towers at the top. I haven't added the camber wedges at the bottom because I got p :censored: d at Steeda for how they were treating my installer.

Anyways, at Hallett, which is tight twisty, I was getting a lot of outside wear until I changed the way I entered the corners. I had been holding the throttle open very late and then getting on the brakes really hard just before turn-in. And I was not allowing the car to take a set before entering. Therefore my rear tires were doing very little work as far as corner grip.

Now I'm rolling out of the throttle a bit earlier and not braking so much. I'm actually carrying more speed into the corner but the the suspension is settled before turn-in. And I've discovered what guys are talking about when they mention "slip angle" :happy feet:

Three things are noticeably different when I come off the track. 1. The tires are all very close to the same temperature. 2. because of that the air pressure build-up is about equal. 3. I'm getting much less outside corner wear. In fact, this past june at the TS Nationals, I chorded a set of tires all the way across the tread patch. :shift:

Oh yeah, and I've dropped 4.5 seconds off my lap times since last November :dance:

Now with this same camber setting at Texas World Speedway in College Station, things were different. That track is very long, straight and super fast. After two days there I had chord showing on the INSIDE of both my front tires.............

Mine are wearing on the outside edge. I know, when the K member gets replaced it will give me a bit more adjustability. I too am a hard braker. I have had to learn all over again, not having ABS anymore. Been a real trip :)

So what's this I've been reading about shaving the tread? Why wouldn't you elect to go with racing slicks? Is it cheaper to get something with tread and then shave it over just buying racing slicks? Do they leave a little tread that is beneficial in some way?

TireRack has some information on shaving tires..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=67

There is a good article in this month's issue of MM&FF: "The twenty things you should know about tires". Some of it is elementary but I found some interesting information in it also.

I was actually one of the cars in the artical, Doing a tire story at Gingerman is funny. Its extreemly hard on tires and was very slick. Also states the tire with the outside tire was a result of anti-lock brakes. Problem, it was my tire and, my car does not have the anti-locks any longer.

I re-read the article last night. You have the orange\yellow S95 with the big wing? If so, was that a closeup of your tire with the Baer decal in the picture? That picture does say that it was an example of tire wear from a ABS equiped car. Ooops, they should have fact checked a little more.

I liked the sliding photo. Look's like you've got your head leaning back right. I bet that was fun. Were you trying to slide or did the "hard braking" just not decelerate you enough?

Thanks for all the info you've provided! I would love to take my car on a road course but it is a convertible and I haven't had the heart to start cutting on that premium interior and install a roll cage.

Maybe I should get a plain GT with maybe 10,000 on it and start all over. Actually, I wish I could order one of the challenge cars at a reasonable price. They could even leave off the high performance stuff. It seems to me that to get a car without HVAC, sound deadening, interior trim, seam sealer, side windows, should be cheaper than getting a car with all of that on it.

I re-read the article last night. You have the orange\yellow S95 with the big wing? If so, was that a closeup of your tire with the Baer decal in the picture? That picture does say that it was an example of tire wear from a ABS equiped car. Ooops, they should have fact checked a little more.

I liked the sliding photo. Look's like you've got your head leaning back right. I bet that was fun. Were you trying to slide or did the "hard braking" just not decelerate you enough?

Thanks for all the info you've provided! I would love to take my car on a road course but it is a convertible and I haven't had the heart to start cutting on that premium interior and install a roll cage.

Maybe I should get a plain GT with maybe 10,000 on it and start all over. Actually, I wish I could order one of the challenge cars at a reasonable price. They could even leave off the high performance stuff. It seems to me that to get a car without HVAC, sound deadening, interior trim, seam sealer, side windows, should be cheaper than getting a car with all of that on it.

Yes, that is my car. It is actually orange and blue, being an old Bonderant school car. I cam in the corner a bit to hot that time. I run with friends and we run hard. If it were an actual race, Im sure we would pace ourselves a bit. What car you choose is not important although, I would prefer it not to be a vert. You can start with about anything, even older stuff to get a feel then move up. I would love a challenge car but, right now, its a bit pricey

• 5 weeks later...
I noticed that very few people are running Nitto's. Anyboby have any comments on the 555 extremes? Just curious as the reviews on the tire sites are pretty good.

Thanks....

Dont have any experience with the 555. Just NT01's, Great tire!

• 3 months later...
Same here; love the NT01s!

A couple of friends run the 555s on their Corvettes and like them a lot.

How about some help from those in the know?

I have a 40th Anniversary GT500 and it ran great with the Pirelli P Zero's that came on the conversion. They are now on backorder for over a month and I want to go to the track again in a few weeks. These are 20 inch tires and there aren't that many choices. I was wondering if anyone has used other tires on the road course and what they thought?

Thanks,

Jon

I noticed that very few people are running Nitto's. Anyboby have any comments on the 555 extremes? Just curious as the reviews on the tire sites are pretty good.

Thanks....

I have the 555's on the Terlingua. I like them. I'm running 1:34's with it at Harris Hill. I figure if I can get the Hoosiers on it, I can drop down to 1:32's. Just need to find wheels that will fit first.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the 555's on the Terlingua. I like them. I'm running 1:34's with it at Harris Hill. I figure if I can get the Hoosiers on it, I can drop down to 1:32's. Just need to find wheels that will fit first.

Is there really this much difference in these tires?!? I just bought 2 new front Pirelli PZeros's that came on the 40th at the sale price of $425 each plus the shipping. I see the Nitto 555 Extremes are $156.00 each. Is there that much difference in how they handle a 3800# car around the road course. I think I may get 3 days max of track days from the Pirelli's. If the Nitto's handle about the same I think I'll give them a shot next round.

Thanks again,

Jon

Is there really this much difference in these tires?!? I just bought 2 new front Pirelli PZeros's that came on the 40th at the sale price of $425 each plus the shipping. I see the Nitto 555 Extremes are $156.00 each. Is there that much difference in how they handle a 3800# car around the road course. I think I may get 3 days max of track days from the Pirelli's. If the Nitto's handle about the same I think I'll give them a shot next round.

Thanks again,

Jon

I don't know a thing about the PZero's. The Nitto's came with the Terlingua. I like running the Hoosier's for track because they do make that much of a difference. Now for the open road racing (BBORR & Silver State), I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports this year.

I'll tell you this, the Hoosier's will give you faster times than street tires. The one's I ran last year were only 200 a tire.

I don't know a thing about the PZero's. The Nitto's came with the Terlingua. I like running the Hoosier's for track because they do make that much of a difference. Now for the open road racing (BBORR & Silver State), I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports this year.

I'll tell you this, the Hoosier's will give you faster times than street tires. The one's I ran last year were only 200 a tire.

As soon as I can get some Hoosiers for 20" wheels I'll give them a go but I bought a second set of 20" razors for track use.

Thanks again,

Dr. Jon

Archived