TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Mounts

I have tried searching the forums looking for this, but haven't had any luck. I know I have seen posts in the GT500 area about installing motor mounts that lower the engine in the engine bay about an inch and allow clearance for the strut brace with Wipple S/C installed or others...I'd be interested in this mod when I finally get around to getting my S/C, but I have no idea what type of motor mounts to be looking for...Anyone have any idea???

I have tried searching the forums looking for this, but haven't had any luck. I know I have seen posts in the GT500 area about installing motor mounts that lower the engine in the engine bay about an inch and allow clearance for the strut brace with Wipple S/C installed or others...I'd be interested in this mod when I finally get around to getting my S/C, but I have no idea what type of motor mounts to be looking for...Anyone have any idea???

Evolution Performance sells the modified prothane mounts. You will have to call most likely.

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/

contact Jared he can hook you up

http://www.lethalperformance.com/

NHV??? Something to do with Harmonic Vibrations???

Exactly, Carl. Everything in the car vibrates to some degree, and when this vibration reaches a certain volume, or, frequency, it can be felt by occupants, and sometimes delivers audible sounds, such as a hum, or, a droan.

When I installed my one-piece drive shaft and solid rear upper control arm, I can hear a faint howl from the rear end. Very faint, nothing serious, nothing to repair. By removing the insulation factors of the OEM upper control arm, the vibration of the gears meshing uses the floor pan as a loudspeaker.

I would expect similar side effects from solid poly-whatever engine and transmission mounts. Though you pick up some torque at the rear wheels by locking down the drive train, the effort comes with side effects you learn to live with.

Exactly, Carl. Everything in the car vibrates to some degree, and when this vibration reaches a certain volume, or, frequency, it can be felt by occupants, and sometimes delivers audible sounds, such as a hum, or, a droan.

When I installed my one-piece drive shaft and solid rear upper control arm, I can hear a faint howl from the rear end. Very faint, nothing serious, nothing to repair. By removing the insulation factors of the OEM upper control arm, the vibration of the gears meshing uses the floor pan as a loudspeaker.

I would expect similar side effects from solid poly-whatever engine and transmission mounts. Though you pick up some torque at the rear wheels by locking down the drive train, the effort comes with side effects you learn to live with.

Ah, Thanks Mac! Although I doubt I would ever hear it...After 30 years of Law Enforcement and shooting an awful lot without ear protection, I'm damn near deaf anyway...My son drives me crazy when he gets in my cars because he's always asking "what is that noise?" I never hear anything, so I guess unless it's really harsh, I'll never notice it...

I'm wondering though, the GT500 seems to have an expensive kit that drops the K Frame as well to lower the engine...I haven't really had a chance to inspect the bottom of my SGT yet, but I don't think we have this same K Frame as the GT500, or do we??? What I have seen appears to be a tubular K Frame, and I always thought those were aftermarket, but this kit indicates that there are also spacers for the K Frame to lower the engine...

If we don't have that same K Frame, will the poly motor mounts give us the same 1" drop or not? If not, it's really not worth it...I'm just trying to see what all I'm going to have to plan for when I finally get around to my S/C install, because I'd love to keep the stock strut brace with my Wipple S/C installed...Am I asking too much?

Ah, Thanks Mac! Although I doubt I would ever hear it...After 30 years of Law Enforcement and shooting an awful lot without ear protection, I'm damn near deaf anyway...My son drives me crazy when he gets in my cars because he's always asking "what is that noise?" I never hear anything, so I guess unless it's really harsh, I'll never notice it...

I'm wondering though, the GT500 seems to have an expensive kit that drops the K Frame as well to lower the engine...I haven't really had a chance to inspect the bottom of my SGT yet, but I don't think we have this same K Frame as the GT500, or do we??? What I have seen appears to be a tubular K Frame, and I always thought those were aftermarket, but this kit indicates that there are also spacers for the K Frame to lower the engine...

If we don't have that same K Frame, will the poly motor mounts give us the same 1" drop or not? If not, it's really not worth it...I'm just trying to see what all I'm going to have to plan for when I finally get around to my S/C install, because I'd love to keep the stock strut brace with my Wipple S/C installed...Am I asking too much?

here you go, having mine changed out for the weight reduction and headers (08SGT)

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangCHASSIS.htm

Archived